Stretchers: How many inches of new growth do you relax during your touch-up?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Ladies, I will be self-relaxing this weekend because I can't really afford to go to a stylist to have it done, nor do I have the time. I usually self-relax anyway.

Now I understand that when you do touch-ups, you focus on the new growth, not the scalp and not the hair. I measured my new growth and it looks like I have at least 2 inches of NG. But I'm really scared because I've never seen this much growth before and want to be sure that I don't go beyond the demarcation line. The last thing I want is breakage, shedding or my hair falling out.

Are there any ladies who have dealt with a lot of new growth during a touch-up? I'm talking about over 2 or 3 inches?

How do you treat that growth?

shynessqueen

My last touch up I had 3 inches of NG, Locks gave me advice and the touch up came out great. You can PM her for help. :cool:

locabouthair

I don't self relax so i can't offer any advice. but thats a lot of growth! congrats! how long was your stretch?

I just remembered that someone made a thread about a three way mirror to use when you self relax.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
locabouthair said:
I don't self relax so i can't offer any advice. but thats a lot of growth! congrats! how long was your stretch?

I just remembered that someone made a thread about a three way mirror to use when you self relax.

This time around it's only been 9.5 weeks. I usually stretch for much longer. My hair must've really grown a lot, though. It'd be nice to get one of those mirrors.

Thanks! ;)

locabouthair

Serenity_Peace said:
This time around it's only been 9.5 weeks. I usually stretch for much longer. My hair must've really grown a lot, though. It'd be nice to get one of those mirrors.

Thanks! ;)

WOW!

are you doing anything specific to get that amount of growth?

I stretch to 11 weeks and I barely get 3/4 of an inch. :ohwell:

shunta

Serenity_Peace said:

Thanks! ;)
What?! Girl, 2" of newgrowth is amazing for only 9 wks!:eek: Wow!:)

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
shynessqueen said:
My last touch up I had 3 inches of NG, Locks gave me advice and the touch up came out great. You can PM her for help. :cool:

Not to hijack my own thread, but I've love to hear how you're able to stretch for so long... ;)

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
locabouthair said:
WOW!

are you doing anything specific to get that amount of growth?

I stretch to 11 weeks and I barely get 3/4 of an inch. :ohwell:

Not really. Never in all my life have I ever gotten this much growth. I am usually able to stretch for as many as 20 weeks because I, too, have slow-growing hair. But not this time. For some reason I have this uncontrollable NG that I don't know what to do with. I'm thinking that BT is the culprit because it's the only thing that I've changed or added to my regimen since my relaxer. I've always eaten well. I drink tons of water. I exercise a lot, take my vitamins/supplements. Using BT seems to be the only thing that I've changed, so it MUST be that.

So I relaxed on April 15, and it's now June 27. So that means that I've gotten an inch per month or maybe a little over, but I won't count the "little over" due to the underprocessing. I'll be sure to keep an eye on how my hair is doing when I relax again.

And I promise to create my fotki. I have starting pics, but I've just been too lazy to put everything together.

Pics are forthcoming I promise... ;)

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
shunta said:
What?! Girl, 2" of newgrowth is amazing for only 9 wks!:eek: Wow!:)

Well, to be fair, when I relaxed on April 15 I used Phyto Relaxer Index I and it left me severely underprocessed in the crown area.:( So when I measured my new growth the other night, I expected to see a lot of new growth there. I didn't think I was crazy.

But when I measured the hairline and front of my hair, which tends to be the straightest, I got a little over 2 inches. I was so shocked that I measured 3 times to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. Then, I got up this morning and measured again before putting any product on my hair. I still got the same thing. I'm sitting here at my desk at work with a ruler and I'm about to run to the bathroom to check again! :lachen: