Why do u suppose God gave us shrinkage???

SSBD

I am okay with the fact they our hair is different from all other races.

I am okay with the fact that our hair does not grow straight and i think our natural curls are very beautiful...

But out of all other hair types why do we have to have shrinkage? Or atleast why does it shrink so much. i understand curly hair is always going to look shorter that what it really is, but why does it shrink up so much.

I know we had the whole was are hair suppose to be this difficult spin off thing, but i'm not saying that our hair is difficult and actually i think once you know how to care for our hair it is actually very easy...MY QUESTION IS WHY DOES OUR HAIR HAVE TO SHRINK SO MUCH???? Ladies what do u think...

ClassicBeauty

I think I may have read somewhere that people of African descent have the hair that we have to protect our heads from the sun in Africa. (Don't kill me if that's wrong.) Thousands of years of adaptation is why humans still exist! Google a search to find scientific studies showing the reasons all people are the way they look. The nose is supposedly based on the type of air the ancestors were breathing, skin based upon sun exposure, etc. Remember that we're only 2000 years past Christ, but think about how many years humans have been adapting over sooooo many generations way before that.

ToyToy

Cosigning with DivaStyle! I read somewhere as well, that our hair was meant to protect our scalp from the harsh sun, that's why it shrinks so much.
But I may be wrong too.

Isis

Except the sun was not always harsh for humans, including over Africa (as proven Biblically and scientifically) and the hair was the same. I feel it has nothing to do with environment but more to do with our origins.

I believe there is nothing negative about shrinkage at all. So curly hair shrinks. It also stretches. I'm so grateful I am part of a race that has the most versatile hair in the world. :)

Last edited:

firecracker

Uh Claude don't question the gift.:eek: :lol:
A few months ago a member started a crazy thread on the subject of God's creation. She felt like God cursed us with this hair.
We come in all different textures so shrinkage isn't something that only blacks experience.

Kayluv

I know God doesn't make any junk and this is the what he wanted us to have , but I have to say...and I know I am going to beat up for saying this, but if I could choose a type of hair I would not have chosen what I have. Although, I have received compliments my entire life for my hair and it does grow fast, I must admit that I cannot stand the time and effort it takes to make it look good. Even when I was a little girl and my mother was doing my hair I could not stand the tremendous effort it took and forget about when she said "you are old enough to do your hair yourself now!". I remember thinking "no I'm not" :perplexed . I love my hair in it's natural state and I know it is stronger, but wash days were a pain in the *** and not to mention ducking and dodging humidity after pressing it, that's why I relax. Historically, I have never liked the work involved with caring for my hair and I do enjoy having a straight look. My mother has said several times, "you have nice hair, but you never liked doing your hair", that's why for the last 7 years or so, I have worn a short curly do, but would like to grow it out perhaps one last time in my life because I want to see if I can do it, there are also better products on the market for black hair than when I was younger (am I giving up my age :D) and I have learned alot from this board. SSBD, you are not alone as I have thought this before too.

bLackButtaFly

DivaStyle said:
I think I may have read somewhere that people of African descent have the hair that we have to protect our heads from the sun in Africa. (Don't kill me if that's wrong.) Thousands of years of adaptation is why humans still exist! Google a search to find scientific studies showing the reasons all people are the way they look. The nose is supposedly based on the type of air the ancestors were breathing, skin based upon sun exposure, etc. Remember that we're only 2000 years past Christ, but think about how many years humans have been adapting over sooooo many generations way before that.

No it really does have something to do with this. It's like Asian having very thin eyes, It's b/c their ancestors were originally from Anartica, and the sun refelecting off the snow was very harse and damaging so they adapted.
But really I think it's pretty cool to have hair that I can do whatever my heart desires to it. :D

PaperClip

Cosigning with the affects of environment (along with genetics) on African/African-American hair.

Same reason that people who live closer to the equator (southern regions) are generally darker than those who live farther away from the equator (northern regions). They get less sun, so they are lighter. This occurs across continents.

SignatureBeauty

God knew what he was doing when he made our hair, He made our hair to be Unique, He gave us something that no other Race can do with their hair, he gave us hair Like his, soft, cottony,wooly. We can Stretch it,Press it, Relax it,Braid it,Twist it,Lock it,Cornrow it, and it will bounce back. I have no problem with shrinkage, One day it can be longer then the next day wash and go, We have that wash and go hair to. But our is unique it is electrifying, Yes I know sometime's the shrinkage can be irritating at times but we deal with it,
that is what makes us apart from others.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
firecracker said:
A few months ago a member started a crazy thread on the subject of God's creation. She felt like God cursed us with this hair.
We come in all different textures so shrinkage isn't something that only blacks experience.

In her defense and to be fair, I still hear this kind of thing about Afro-textured hair from time to time. Even the "good hair" vs. "bad hair" debate that we continue have in our community is a reflection of how we really feel about the texture of the hair. As a child I used to envy most of the white girls who had long, silky, shiny hair that would grow and grow. I would be so very jealous, and sometimes I would question God about it. I would why we are hatred so much, and on top of that, this hair that requires extra care (and pain at the stove) in order to grow. I'm just being honest here. Not that I think black hair is a curse, but it doesn't surprise me that some people would think this way.:(

ladylibra

your scalp has the natural oils that your hair needs to lock in moisture. and it's extremely hard for that oil to travel down textured hair... all those bends, loops and coils. so i think shrinkage makes sense...your hair is trying to compact itself towards your scalp to ensure it gets those essential oils.

animals with fur, and humans with straighter hair textures have no problems with the oils running down the hair shaft.

*i think some people here are confusing evolution and adaptation... i don't wanna get off on a tangent though so i'll keep my mouth shut... :look:

SSBD

firecracker said:

Oh no im not saying good cursed us, im just wodering why i have it...u know how that say God gives u everything u need to fulfil ur purpose, like i might only be 5'0, but it is a reason for my shortness(what i don't know yet), but i don't mind either of them i was wondering....

imstush

NappyParadise said:
God knew what he was doing when he made our hair, He made our hair to be Unique, He gave us something that no other Race can do with their hair, he gave us hair Like his, soft, cottony,wooly. We can Stretch it,Press it, Relax it,Braid it,Twist it,Lock it,Cornrow it, and it will bounce back. I have no problem with shrinkage, One day it can be longer then the next day wash and go, We have that wash and go hair to. But our is unique it is electrifying, Yes I know sometime's the shrinkage can be irritating at times but we deal with it,

I like your post. I don't know why but I always find it funny when I see other races try and do the afro, or locks, or even cornrolls for that matter.:lol:

firecracker

Oh no og poster I know you weren't saying we were cursed. I was too lazy to do a search so you could read that long drawn out interesting "cursed" read. :lachen: I knew you were asking the real scientic why? I poke fun cuz I's silly babeeeee. :lachen:

tkj25

DivaStyle said:

also co-signing with the environmental/genetic origins for shrinkage. i was just thinking about this the other day -- what could be the intended/original purpose for shrinkage?

i think its a genetic trait that allowed our ancestors to exist/thrive & reproduce in a hot, arid environment. of course there are other cultural/physiological components, but i think hair structure was also one of them.

because our hair shrinks, it sits up and out from our heads -- creating space & volume between the individual strands -- an afro. this afro allows sweat & heat to escape from the body. it allows space for air to pass through, increasing evaporation --- a cooling effect. it allows for continuous coverage for the scalp/protection from the sun because it doesn't easily blow or shift with the wind.

looser/straighter hair textures lay flat to the scalp & body, holding & trapping natural body heat and perspiration inside. this is a benefit in a colder environment, but would get you killed in an arid one.

as a result the genetic trait for afro hair/shrinkage was passed down for generations, and continues today.

now of course today, with all our advances in technology and the like, shrinkage as a mechanism for survival is a moot point:lol: but it is still useful to reflect on the beauty and history that is inherent in our hair.

Last edited:

glamazon386

SSBD said:

I am okay with the fact that our hair does not grow straight and i think our natural curls are very beautiful...

But out of all other hair types why do we have to have shrinkage? Or atleast why does it shrink so much. i understand curly hair is always going to look shorter that what it really is, but why does it shrink up so much.

I know we had the whole was are hair suppose to be this difficult spin off thing, but i'm not saying that our hair is difficult and actually i think once you know how to care for our hair it is actually very easy...MY QUESTION IS WHY DOES OUR HAIR HAVE TO SHRINK SO MUCH???? Ladies what do u think...

Girl, I don't even know. I love my curls but i'd like a little less shrinkage. It's alright though.

angie10

firecracker said:

I was thinking the same thing:) I wouldn't question it.

SherryLove

I never question the work of the Creator or question my natural physical attributes. I just embrace and make the best of them and go with the Flow.... Smile.....

envybeauty

bLackButtaFly said:
No it really does have something to do with this. It's like Asian having very thin eyes, It's b/c their ancestors were originally from Anartica, and the sun refelecting off the snow was very harse and damaging so they adapted.
But really I think it's pretty cool to have hair that I can do whatever my heart desires to it. :D

REALLY... this is the first I am hearing that about Asian eyes. Hmmm....

LocksOfLuV

ladylibra said:
your scalp has the natural oils that your hair needs to lock in moisture. and it's extremely hard for that oil to travel down textured hair... all those bends, loops and coils. so i think shrinkage makes sense...your hair is trying to compact itself towards your scalp to ensure it gets those essential oils.

animals with fur, and humans with straighter hair textures have no problems with the oils running down the hair shaft.

*i think some people here are confusing evolution and adaptation... i don't wanna get off on a tangent though so i'll keep my mouth shut... :look:

Excellent Excellent point. I would have never thought of that.

la flaca

NappyParadise said:

WAOOOOOOOOO! NappyParadise this is beautiful!

Thanks God:)

RainbowCurls

Length and straightness is only 'desired' because of society.

From Naptural Glory
"The unique woolly, coiled texture of African hair is very breathable, very light-weight and therefore very efficient for living in the hot climate of the African continent. How, you ask? Each strand of hair is flat like a ribbon. Just like a ribbon, these strands are designed to coil up onto themselves very tightly, strand by strand all over the scalp, to create this unique texture. Individually, there is an extremely tight coil pattern that can stretch out to a very small wave pattern when pulled. You have to look close to catch this pattern because of the woolly texture. A general average of the diameter size of 100% African coils is 1/8th of an inch. This pattern meshes and mats together easily, allowing it to lock up within a few months if left uncombed. This also means that strands are very fragile and tend to knot up several times on each strand which leads to breakage and split ends. The "woolly" texture is due to the flat, ribbon-like naturally dry strands which is what helps keep it short (ie "shrinkage") and lightweight, allowing air to cool the scalp."

This makes sense from both an evolution and religion point of view.

Lavendar

All of the scientific answers are great and good food for thought. But I think it's really simple....natural african hair reminds you of what....A CROWN!!!:)

It's a constant reminder from God of the Kings and Queens He meant for us to be!! :)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
RainbowCurls said:

From Naptural Glory

I really liked what Naptural Glory said about our natural hair! Its so true!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
RainbowCurls said:

From Naptural Glory

I really liked what Naptural Glory said about our natural hair! Its so true!

Qetesh

I think this thread comes up with many great points. Also I have read that the more coil your hair has the more kinetic energy you can receive from the sun, in some melanin book (I forget the name)

I feel that the reason so many of African decent view this as a curse is because they are stuck in European views of what is beautiful. I don’t feel my hair is anymore difficult to deal with than any other race, what becomes difficult is trying to CHANGE your natural texture into something that it is not. It’s just like someone with straight hair trying to tease it and give it texture daily any change from what is natural will be difficult.

I personally love how versatile my hair is and I would not trade it in to be type 1A or even 2B. I like being African just like I love my dark skin. But this isn’t something I get from society in fact what I get and feel from society is the exact opposite … I guess what I am trying to say is sometimes you have to learn to love yourself for you and not be so affected by what society is telling you to do.

Magus484

I heard that it is because Africa is hot, and the shrinkage will help keep our hair out of the way- therefore making us less hot. Also, white people have longer ears so that they can tuck their hair behind them. God knew what he was doing.

SSBD said:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Black hair is not the only hair that experiences shrinkage. I have many white friends who have curly hair and they experience shrinkage too. it is just what the distinctive hair type does.:lol: Very good food for thought, though.:)

sowhut

Isis said:
Except the sun was not always harsh for humans, including over Africa (as proven Biblically and scientifically) and the hair was the same. I feel it has nothing to do with environment but more to do with our origins.

I believe there is nothing negative about shrinkage at all. So curly hair shrinks. It also stretches. I'm so grateful I am part of a race that has the most versatile hair in the world. :)

Beautifully said:)