WHY DID YOU CUT YOUR HAIR OFF?????

preciouslove0x

I too get the "is it going to grow back?" question. I also get it "are you going to cut it again after it grows out?" how did they draw that conclusion???? And the most respectful responses to my hair were HARD stares. It would be the first time someone sees my hair. I will get DEAD silence and then the HARRDDDD stare. Oh well. I rather them do that then comment if they don't like it.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I too get the "is it going to grow back?" question. I also get it "are you going to cut it again after it grows out?" how did they draw that conclusion???? And the most respectful responses to my hair were HARD stares. It would be the first time someone sees my hair. I will get DEAD silence and then the HARRDDDD stare. Oh well. I rather them do that then comment if they don't like it.

omg^^^^^ that's my mom!

my 10th grade nephew.... was like what exactly are u trying to do with your hair? like grow it? all u need is grease

NaturalBoss

I transitioned for about 8 months. I got bored one day around Christmas and chopped all the relaxer off. I did a sloppy job and my hair was many different lengths. I got kinky twists about 2 days later and no one ever saw my real hair until almost a year later.

Aireen

Before: Scissor Happy Stylist

Cut off way too much, my practices weren't bad but weren't great either and my hair STILL held on and didn't look straggly. My old stylist's trimming was just too much and since I don't really eat a lot or everyday for that matter (just from not being hungry) and eat the same things, I'm probably deficient and missing in vitamins that are supposed to be in my daily diet which will lead to a bit of a slower growth rate. Slow rate + too much trimming = same length hair or shorter and shorter hair after each visit.

Recently: Peer Pressure

My friends told me I'd look 'oh so good' with bangs and I was convinced my hair was boring because of it being mostly one length; the front that make up my bangs now was only 2 inches shorter than the rest of the hair because of my style/cut. Now I'm stuck with growing out my bangs because my current stylist isn't the greatest cutter, especially with bangs. Oh and get this, my boyfriend said I looked better with my hair the old way. Next time I'm just going with my instinct, which is growing out my hair my way, all in one length or with little differentiation between lengths.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I transitioned for about 8 months. I got bored one day around Christmas and chopped all the relaxer off. I did a sloppy job and my hair was many different lengths. I got kinky twists about 2 days later and no one ever saw my real hair until almost a year later.

my plans were kinky twists....but an itchy scalp prevailed

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

8 mnth transition is pretty serious....my hair would shed all on the floor

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

My aunt asked me if my twists were extensions, pulling them to probably "make sure...":rolleyes: Dunno why, just because it's not relaxed doesn't mean it's going to remain stagnant. :/ Honestly, I don't know why people act that if you BC, your hair will automatically remain SHORT FOREVER and not grow.:wallbash:

I got the "Why you cut all that pretty hair off?" questions from FEW people, all old southerners. Like two, honestly, one being a woman who really admired my relaxed hair and always commented how my hair and I were so pretty. Nothing negative about my bc (since I tend to wear natural hair well, I've been told) or should I say at least to my face. I actually had a very positive response or nothing said at all.

Today in church, I wore a twist out (took my twists down) for the first time and had oohs and ahhs and hands all in my head. A woman told me every time she sees me, I inspire her to go natural (thing is, she's relaxer free but wears braids/wigs) but she doesn't have "soft hair like mine" so she can't.:nono: I get that often. "I would go natural but I don't have hair like that." or "you have that growing hair, mine won't grow like that"

My friend has very short hair...she'd rather put relaxer in it and wear it slicked and gelled back than go natural (which she WANTS to do) and wear it out because short straight hair is better than short natural hair, in her words.

Beside the women who have locks in my church, no one else is a "wear your hair out" natural like I am. :/ My mum wears wigs even and her hair is so thick and long! I know people are watching my hair progress so if it inspires folks, I'm VERY happy for that!

My big chop. LMAO, could my band be any tighter, I was SQUEEZING it to show some length :lachen:
7/28/09

Then I started trying styles...

And my hair as of 5/23/10

It DOES GROW! :lachen:

My 1 year BC anniversary is NEXT MONTH!!!

could your band be any tighter??/:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: migraine!

NaturalBoss

8 mnth transition is pretty serious....my hair would shed all on the floor

My hair was not in the best condition after that. If I could go back in time I would have just bc'd w/o transitioning. There was really no point for me to transition since I was wearing micros and kinky twists anyways.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

My hair was not in the best condition after that. If I could go back in time I would have just bc'd w/o transitioning. There was really no point for me to transition since I was wearing micros and kinky twists anyways.

thanks

i think my family is secretively waiting for me to throw my head off in some kinky twists or micro's....or RELAX!!!!:nono::nono::nono::nono::lachen:

JJamiah

I cut my hair off from MBL/scraping WL, to bald.

I did it 3-4 times the first 3 times because I wanted a break from the hair. The last time was to bother my husband. :D

My cousin laughed cause me and my other cousin did it at the same time the last time and asked was everyone going natural.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I cut my hair off from MBL/scraping WL, to bald.

I did it 3-4 times the first 3 times because I wanted a break from the hair. The last time was to bother my husband. :D<-----:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

My cousin laughed cause me and my other cousin did it at the same time the last time and asked was everyone going natural.

i can't belive you! roflmao!!!

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
I didn't get a lot of why questions. More like dumb comments about my hair texture. I usually just shook my head and said "It's a shame that Black folks don't even know how they look" and walked away.

I think I avoided most of the why questions because I didn't just get the relaxer chopped off, I actually had it styled (tapered in the back and on the sides). It was real cute.

JJamiah

i can't belive you! roflmao!!!

:look: :D

It worked! LOL

It took us 2 years to talk about it. We were going through a really not so nice time for five months so we were doing things to upset one another, but I did it and when he came home he put something in the trash seen all my hair lying on top and ran to the bathroom where I was coloring it I looked at him Like this :D ( and inside was doing this :lachen::lachen::lachen:) he was doing this :nono: and just walked away after asking me was I okay. I looked at him like this :spinning: :yep:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

:look: :D

It worked! LOL

It took us 2 years to talk about it. We were going through a really not so nice time for five months so we were doing things to upset one another, but I did it and when he came home he put something in the trash seen all my hair lying on top and ran to the bathroom where I was coloring it I looked at him Like this :D ( and inside was doing this :lachen::lachen::lachen:) he was doing this :nono: and just walked away after asking me was I okay. I looked at him like this :spinning: :yep:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Tif392002

Hey,

I cutt off my hair cuz i was tired of dealing with my relaxed hair .. i was always dry, and breaking. I have really fine hair, and all the abuse from the relaxers had my hair thinning out.... i kinda stumbled across being natural, but im glad i did.... the number one thng that has help me with my natural hair, is the knowledge i get from being apart of this forum.

im growing my hair out til i get comfy with the length, so i didnt really rock a TWA excpet on weekends whn i letting my scalp breathe from wigs or cornrows....so i really didnt get alot of questions about why i cutt my hair... my bf was asking me alot of questions, he understands now... and my sister was too, and now she is natural as well!! . here is my bc on 12/15/09

Here is my hair 6/2010 - 6 month afta BC.

Last edited: