Why certain parts of your hair can appear looser in certain areas...

DarkAngell

Not accurate for me either. My nape and the middle are a mix of 3b/3c. The sides,top, and front are a mix of of 4a/b. My head has everything from curls to coils to z patterns. My hair is too short to tie since I bced again in August so it's definitely not from tension. I think I even have some 3a thrown in the mix. My hair makes no sense. When I wear wash n goes, which is all I can do right now, I have to style it carefully to disguise all of the varying patterns. Some areas I have to finger coil, some I have to stretch, some I have to mush down since the different textures make it look like my hair is different lengths.

Theresamonet

I don't believe that smoothing the hair can permanently alter the texture. My nape and front is looser and I watch it grow out of my scalp that way. I'm also primarily a wash-n-goer.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Unless this can permanently change your curl pattern, this is not true in my case. You can clearly see at my roots the various curl patterns. And when my hair is wet, the various curl patterns are very evident. I have a strip about 5" wide from my forehead to my nape that's 2Bish/3Aish and no amount of tension can create that difference in texture (the rest of my hair is 3Bish).

Also, when I used to shave my head, you could see the differences as my hair grew in.

As I was reading through this thread I was thinking this exact same thing. Then I saw that I wrote it 2+ years ago. Lol! So I guess it's still true.