is your hair really protein sensitive?

Lilmama1011

Many ladies think that they are protein sensitive. Are they denying their hair the necessary strength it needs to retain growth?

Protein sensitivity is a sometimes controversial but always a hot topic in hair care. Simply put, protein sensitivity is when hair will overreact in the presence of protein making it dry and brittle and more prone to breakage. On the other hand, in the presence of constant protein,*ALL*hair will behave this way, so how can you tell if you are actually protein sensitive or if you’ve simply been using*too much protein conditioner?It’s amazing how quickly people will declare themselves protein sensitive before looking at the facts. Recently a dear friend mentioned that she thought that she was protein sensitive. Her reason for this was that she had recently done an Aphogee two step protein treatment and her hair had turned out hard and brittle. On touching her hair, I could see that she was right. She said that she’d followed the instructions on the bottle and deep conditioned straight after. I couldn’t think of why her hair would react like this when it usually responded really well to protein conditioners. I then asked her what she had used to deep condition after the Aphogee and it turn out that she had used her favourite protein conditioner as “her hair always felt lovely after it”!That was the problem. She had effectively done a double protein treatment! Instead of following up the Aphogee with a moisturizing conditioner, she had cancelled out the positive effects of the first protein treatment by adding more protein on top of it! I recommended that she co-wash her hair with a moisturizing conditioner every other day for the next week or two and also reduce manipulation until her hair returned to normal.Now maybe the above is an extreme example of someone getting it completely wrong on protein sensitivity. There are ladies who may use a regular protein conditioner which then causes an adverse effect on their hair but without trying a different brand protein conditioner, can they be sure that this is protein sensitivity or just a conditioner that did not agree with their hair?Are you protein sensitive? Happily, this is a question that many curly haired ladies don’t need to answer. Protein does nothing but good things for our hair which craves the structure that protein provides to hold on to moisture that our hair*needs. However, there are curly haired ladies who’s hair genuinely hates protein and as such they should continue with the moisturizing conditioners maybe every once in a while using light natural protein treatments like yoghurt or molasses.There are some ladies however who are unsure if they are protein sensitive or not. Some days, their hair will ‘behave’ after a protein conditioner or treatment but sometimes, they get the dreaded dryness.To answer the question, protein sensitivity is likely to occur when the subject is getting a good amount of protein in their diet and their bodies are efficient at using said protein. It’s likely that many of us have come across a person, male or female who’s nails grow long and strong naturally without any hardeners. Those people have bodies which are efficient at utilizing the protein that they are getting from their diet. In this instance, if they tried to use nail hardener, their nails would start breaking due to having too much protein and the same may be true for their hair. Protein conditioners in their case would likely be detrimental.If you are this person who’s nails are naturally hard and strong and your hair also happens to overreact to protein conditioners, then it’s very likely that you are protein sensitive.This is not a hard and fast rule but rather a guideline in proclaiming protein sensitivity. If your*nails grow soft*without much structure and break easily then clearly your body is not efficient at using the protein it gets or you are likely not getting enough protein in your diet. However, if at the same time your hair overreacts to a protein conditioner, the best thing to do would be to try another protein conditioner to see if that helps. If not and you are convinced that your hair is protein sensitive, then concentrate on moisturizing conditioners but increase the amount of protein in your diet.

NaturallyATLPCH

This is great information. My hair feels brittle and dry when I use many protein products, but I didn't think about how much protein I ingest daily so that's one reason I usually scale back and do a light protein treatment every other week.

Plus I henna which sort of acts as a protein.

Mande30

I had declared myself to be protein sensitive. But someone, I can't remember who, recently brought up the fact that some people are just more sensitive to CERTAIN proteins. Now this article kinda of brings it all together for me.

Previously, I used the Aphogee 2 step (Animal Protein, hydrolyzed collagen) every 12 weeks. I always had to do some serious recovery after every time that I used it. I even had to stop sealing with Coconut oil during the recorvery period because it simply would not heal. (Proving to me that Coconut oil real does prevent protein loss).

I then tried to use Mane & Tail Original as a light protein conditioner every 2 or 3 weeks. Same thing happened. (wheat protein)

I recently pre pooed with Hot Six Oil- epic fail, my hair felt like it was overloaded with protein for a whole week (wheat germ oil)

Now I use Aphogee 2 minute every 4 weeks. It has worked very well. (Keratin)

Summary- My hair hates animal protein and large doses of wheat. (my body hates wheat also)

My hair loves Keratin.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I've always declared that my hair loves protein but it could be because I use a wide variety of proteins and never the same kind too often.

Last edited:

Amarilles

I too do not subscribe to having "protein sensitivity" anymore, although I used to. Not only does it depend on the type of hydrolyzed protein but also how many, their placement in the ingredient list and how the product is formulated.

I'm still not doing protein treatments but I use leave-ins and/or conditioners with one, at most two hydrolyzed protein. I've had horrendous matts with 3 or more but maybe it was just the products...it's hard to know because once one has a bad experience it's hard to willingly repeat a similar product just to experiment. I'm still thinking of trying Komaza's hair strengthener since it has 3 hydrolyzed proteins and I think their products are very well formulated.

faithVA

To me the post in this thread just confirms that people are sensitive to protein whether it is type or amount. If I can only use Keratin to me that makes me protein sensitive. Yes I can use protein but my hair is sensitive to the types of protein you put on it. It is also very sensitive to how often I use it. There are ladies on this board that can use protein weekly or every other week. No matter what type of protein I use if I use it to often my hair will become brittle and starts breaking.

I had a Komaza Analysis and was told that my hair didn't need much protein and if I used protein when I didn't need it that it would wash off. But it doesn't do that :nono: It takes weeks and weeks of extra moisturizing to balance out using protein 1 too many times.

If we were talking about food and we had a reaction when we ate something we wouldn't have an issue saying we were sensitive to it but when we are talking about hair somehow it seems to be unimaginable that the hair can be sensitive to something. :perplexed:

hnntrr

I am not sure.
I had a horrid protein overload once, and I have avoided going through it again.
So I only do a protein treatment when I feel my hair needs it (every 2-4 weeks) same with shampoo'ing.

I think my body just utilizes protein well, my nails always grow in hard and fast my toe nails especially...my fingernails don't only because I bite them and it leaves them a little more fragile.

I don't know what type of protein it likes more, but if I use anything with coconut I immediately notice my hair is feeling bad.
After using a protein deep conditioner for years (jojoba and placenta lutrasilk) and following with redkin extreme repair...and wondering why my hair was breaking off and always feeling gross...I stopped using protein conditioners to that extreme, started using moisture conditioners and my hair is feeling and acting a lot better even if I extend my protein wash for a few weeks. Right now I am using 4 naturals reconstructor and i leave it on for about 10 minutes and its fine, not to hard not to soft and my curls pop.

ms.blue

I never considered myself protein sensitive because early on, I realized that my hair prefers light proteins (occasionally medium proteins) as oppose to hard protein treatments. I did give myself protein overload twice and it did take awhile for my hair to get back to normal. The article did bring up something I never thought about which is about nails. My nails (both hand feet) tend to grow fast and hard so it makes sense why my hair doesn't care hard protein, eco styler gel and coconut oil as a sealant.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm 110% sure I'm protein sensitive and the article did not change my opinion in any way. I've tried a number of proteins and products with the same results. However, I really like the comparison with the finger nails, diet and protein sensitivity. My nails are healthy and hard and often break when I use hardeners. I find truth in that comparison. Great information.

*Frisky*

So there is suppose to be a difference between protein sensitive and protein overload? That makes sense. I recently saw some information that depending on the porosity your hair is, certain proteins are better to use.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
So there is suppose to be a difference between protein sensitive and protein overload? That makes sense. I recently saw some information that depending on the porosity your hair is, certain proteins are better to use.

*Frisky* do you still have that article. I'd love to read it over because I have low porosity. TIA!

KittyMeowMeow

IMO fine or relaxed hair really needs protein. I think anyone with these should try everything before deciding they are protein sensitive, and if so, find something else to strengthen because not using protein can be bad.

I have different hair types- most is fine, but I also have medium/coarse. The fine hair loves and needs protein. The med/coarse reacts badly to heavy protein. Light proteins like silk protein or milk aren't horrible for it, but I'm not sure they help much either (I don't use these on the med/coarse hair on a regular basis). I do use coconut oil all over, so maybe just doing that is enough?

Sosa

I think mine may be. I did the Aphogee treatment for the first time as a natural and it my hair is now looking and acting funny.

My hair isn't breaking or anything but it cannot lay smooth anymore in my buns...it so durn curly. too curly! I was trying to give twisting a break..but back to that i go I guess :ohwell:. It's too frizzy in this Florida humidity.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yep. I started to really talk about protein types months ago. My hair and belly hate anything wheat. Keratin is good. Going to try silk next to give my hair some variety.

And yes on the nails. Your hair and nails are similar material. How your nails grow in is pretty much how your hair is growing in. Soft weak nails can probably correlate to weak and breaking hair. Unfortunately, this is me! I have to dust both nails and hair often to gain any length. Things always improve when I supplement but my memory aint great enough to remember vitamins everyday... :rolleyes:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
WHat I mean is, I have thin fine nails and my hair is also low density and fine.

My sister has thick and quick growing nails (they never break and will grow long enough to curl under!). Her hair reaches BSL just by sneezing and she's got corse high density hair. She never needed to supplement or do protein (hate her!) to keep hair or nails on her body. I guess she synthesizes proteins well. She's mostly a meat-eater.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I personally believe that your hair may not respond well to certain proteins, or that your hair may hold on to protein very well (meaning not letting it go) and that porosity also plays a part in how the hair will react to protein. When people say they are protein sensitive, I sometimes question it as if your hair is protein and it doesn't like protein, you wouldn't have hair.

I learned that my hair like collagen when its moisture overloaded, keratin as a regular protein treatment, silk for light treatments and as a heat protectant and milk in small amounts with silk only in a DC treatment. I also have low porosity hair, so I figured protein as close to human hair would probably be more acceptable and smaller proteins such as these work well.

Its one of those things that when you know better you do better.

Another thing I noticed is that because I use indirect heat weekly, I need to replenish protein more often than when I don't use heat. If I was a regular no-heater, I'd use protein much less, like every 6-8 weeks instead of 4 weeks. Styling has a lot to do with it too.

As for the nails thing… it makes sense. My hair are super hard but peel easily over time. I wash my hands a guaranteed 4x a day because of my job not including bathroom breaks at work and when I get home so it could contribute to my peeling nails. But it takes a long time for them to peel, even with all the hand washing. They also grow really fast.

Thanks Lilmama1011