Whose idea was it for you to get your FIRST relaxer?

who

• You

Votes: 63 39.6%
  • Your mom

Votes: 70 44.0%
  • Other

Votes: 24 15.1%
  • You have always been natural

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Elkaye

It was my mother's idea. The weird thing about this was I was her guinea pig-- she permed my hair before she did my sisters or her own hair! Thank God it turned out okay... :ohwell:

AsTheCurlzTurns

It was mine!!! I was just entering 4th grade and wanted to be like my relaxed friends and was boy-crazy! LOL Mom didn't even flinched, I honestly think she was relieved, so she bought the kit and did it. Afterwards, she styled it for me and everything until I got to the 7th grade, then it was all on me. From then to late last year, I had no problems maintaining my relaxed hair, except for the occasional split ends and trims. Now I'm natural and in for the ride of my life, since I really didn't know what my natural texture was like before getting relaxed. All I know and remember was that I was sick and tired of getting combed (while in pain) and pressed every week for over 3 hours!:nono:

Cassandra1975

My mom's...later it was my "bright" idea to get a Jheri curl 'cause my sister had one (she is 7 years older than me). What did I know? :lachen: I've got my mom's hair, and she's only ever done hers with a relaxer, so that's what she knew to do with me.

~*Hollywood*~

Actually.....my dad had one put in one summer when I was visiting....because he said that my hair wasn't showing its potential length.:sad: Check this though....my mom didn't want me 2 have one yet.....and I was only about 8 at the time so my dad lied and told me that he was taking me to go get a "Deep Conditioner".......and when I went back home......and my mom saw that I had a perm....she was FURIOUS!!!!:wallbash: Let'z just say my first perm experience wasn't a good one!!:nono:

MissJ

My mom. She had 4 girls' hair to do and needed an easier way to do it. Then I felt like a "big girl" like my cousins when I finally got my PCJ. I was in 3rd grade. Basically, she made all my hair decisions. I never once even washed my own hair until I went to college. That's when I learned what conditioner was for. :scratchch :lol:

Last edited:

TayMac

It was my mother's idea when I was in the 3rd grade. She didn't ask me, I had no clue what a relaxer was. I think she did it because my cousin had recently had a relaxer and she didn't want me to feel left out.

Butterfly08

Seeing someone on here say that they never had a relaxer made me think of this question.

I would say me. I wanted straight hair. Left up to my mother, I probably would still be natural.

EXACTLY. My mom has worn an afro my entire life, when it was popular and when it wasn't. I literally had to beg for a looooooooong time.

Cassandra1975

EXACTLY. My mom has worn an afro my entire life, when it was popular and when it wasn't. I literally had to beg for a looooooooong time.
I bet my two best friends when we were in the 5th grade. Both had TONS of hair, and neither was allowed to get a relaxer. Their parents/grandparents finally caved in our senior year of high school. And that was after a lot of begging.