Whose idea was it for you to get your FIRST relaxer?

who

• You

Votes: 63 39.6%
  • Your mom

Votes: 70 44.0%
  • Other

Votes: 24 15.1%
  • You have always been natural

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

envybeauty

Seeing someone on here say that they never had a relaxer made me think of this question.

I would say me. I wanted straight hair. Left up to my mother, I probably would still be natural.

princess me

funny enough, my dad was the one who kept pushing me to get a relaxer while my mother wanted me to wait. I got one when I was about 12. and i thought i was so grown... but then my hair started to fall out. :ohwell:

blue_flower

I'm not sure whose idea it was, but my aunt was the one who put my first relaxer in my hair. What really annoyed me is how no one kept my hair HEALTHY. I had to learn all that on my own through trial and error.

malibu4590

It was my grandmother's idea even though that woman never did my hair a day in my life. My mom always did my hair and kept it healthy. After mom listened to my nana, it was down hill from there.

Tamrin

unapologetic
My Aunt who is a Hair Dresser in Haiti. She did it when I went on vaction at 18. And Cut shoulder Length hair to a short style that required a curling iron every day to look decent (or so I thought)

drasgrl

Now that I think of it I really don't know. I know I wasn't particular at all about getting a relaxer. I just know that when I was 16 my mother took me to a beauty salon (probably the first time) and that's what I got. My mother never relaxed her hair but she wore Jheri curls for a few years so it wasn't like she pushed me to get it. She started pressing my hair when I turned 11 and when I was about 12 or 13 I started doing it myself.

glam-

I can't remember- so I picked other. I think getting a relaxer was just something that you did:perplexed so I ended up getting one.

DozenRoses99

It was my mother's idea. I was 11 or 12, but I really did not know too much about relaxers. At the time, I was so happy to longer have to get my hair pressed every week. Back then, most of my friends got their hair pressed or had jheri curls.

MrsBurns82

I was about 5 when my mom started sending me to the hair dresser. She has fine 3ish hair and was a bit overwhelmed by my head full of 4 a-z hair. The woman convinced my mother to allow her to relax my hair when I was about 6. The woman gave me a ultra sheen super. In my first grade pictures I had bone straight mid back length hair. In my second grade pictures I had braids with beads that barley passed my ears.

Oh to be 5 again.

Bigghair

I was in the third grade so obviously it was not my choice, but my mom's. By the time I was in middle school I was relaxing my own hair.:sad:

sareca

I was in college, it was definitely my call. :yep: Before that I was virgin (no color, no relaxer).

Whimsy

It was my mom's call. I was first texlaxed (tho i didn't know that's what it was at that time) at 11 years old. The next day it rained and my hair curled right on up.

Cheleigh

I'm not sure. It was probably me, because I hated getting my hair pressed. My great aunt was a stylist, so she gave me my first relaxer. Honestly, I don't recall my hair being in any worse shape as a relaxed head than I did as a pressed head, execpt it wasn't so poofy anymore.

At the time, I never knew I had an option to be natural and not be straightened. :nono:

Twisties

For me it was just done, and I was happy. Me (6) and my sister (8) got Vigorols that you shampooed in to release the naps and then got it pressed.

At 12 got a full Revlon relaxer-I asked/begged for that one.

naturalmanenyc

I just asked my mom about this a few days ago. I was 10 years old so it was her idea.

My hair is 3c, same as hers, so I asked her why did she even relax my hair. I stretched for 18+ weeks recently and that is when I found out my hair is 3c. Apparently my hair was a bit difficult for her to handle and mom got sick of the stove top straightening comb so she had me relaxed. I do not think I will go natural but I am texlaxing now to keep some of my curl/wave.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
My mom started relaxing my hair when I was about 5 or 6. I don't know why though, cause when my newgrowth comes in, it's so curly and cute. The other day when I was talking to her, I asked her why she even started relaxing my hair in the first place, and she said ''because it was too thick'' :perplexed: :ohwell:

NikNik79

I wore a jheri curl for the longest done by my grandmother who was a licensed stylist. Well the curl made my hair grow, so at around age 12 I got grown and wanted straight hair that did not drip! Against my grandmother's wishes, my mom permed my hair. Boy, I thought that I was too cute for about 2-3 days until it started falling out:blush:. I went from a few inches past shoulder length to chin length in a matter of days. I was devastated!

cutiebe2

I was eight and wanted one like all the other girls. My babysitter said she could do it so my mom caved in

I was back to natural a year later after the front of my head went almost bald from the relaxer (she relaxed and braided my hair the same day...BIG nono)

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
It was definitely my idea ... I believe I was 10 or so. Clearly, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. :perplexed

Songbirdb

It was me. My mom didn't want me to get one. I begged and begged, until my Aunt finally told her she should let me have one so that I could style my own hair. I wish I would've now though. My hair would be crazy long by now.

abordeaux

I was about 5 when my mom started sending me to the hair dresser. She has fine 3ish hair and was a bit overwhelmed by my head full of 4 a-z hair. The woman convinced my mother to allow her to relax my hair when I was about 6. The woman gave me a ultra sheen super. In my first grade pictures I had bone straight mid back length hair. In my second grade pictures I had braids with beads that barley passed my ears.

Oh to be 5 again.

:eek:...........

SleepyJean

Me! I don't regret it. I think natural and relaxed are difficult to work with at times, but I think I prefer it. I don't relax it bone straight AT ALL, but it's easier for me to work with my hair relaxed than natural. I BEGGED SOO MUCH.