Why would anyone relax every 4 weeks?

naturalmanenyc

I was with family & friends over the holiday and we got to talking about hair. They are all relaxed. It came out that 1 relaxes every 4 weeks, 1 relaxes every 6 weeks, and the other every 8 weeks.

Even when I was relaxing, I never relaxed earlier than every 12 weeks and this was prior to finding LHCF.

My hair only grows about 4 inches per year (not the average of 6 inches) but even at 6 inches per year why relax every 4 weeks? That just seems strange to me????

Do people really relax that often? And why? Can any hair really be so coarse that a relaxer is needed every 4 weeks?

Mo96

I think it's because they honestly didn't know any better. When I was younger and unable to go to the salon on a regular basis, I would relax my hair every 4 weeks because "I thought it was the right thing to do." I used to think that the first sign of new growth means that it's time to relax. I can't believe I was doing that!

Purfectalibi

I used to relax every 4 weeks because I was afraid of my hair popping if I went to long without one. It didnt do any harm that I know of but, I'm sure its not that great for my scalp.

ajacks

My stylist would relax my hair every 6 weeks b/c she said I needed it and I believed her b/c she was the professional. It never grew and was weak and thin even though I was going to the salon every two weeks. Ultimately it was my fault b/c I allowed my ignorance to stand in the way of learning how to properly take care of my own hair. I believe my old stylist just wanted the extra money for giving relaxers often and could care less about the overall health of my hair.

PGirl

I used to relax every 4 to 5 weeks before I found this forum. I didn't know any better. My Mother told me that my hair would break if I didn't. Plus, when that new growth comes in, suddenly it was hard to style my hair. I was like OH NO EMERGENCY....RELAX ME and QUICk! I spent so much money it was pathetic. And my stylist probably loved to see me show up with my bone straight overprocessed hair! She charges 90 dollars for a relaxer so she definitely encouraged me to do it.:look:

locabouthair

Did they look at you like you were crazy for waiting so long?

I told my friend I was gonna wait until 10 weeks, and she thought I was crazy.

when I first got a relaxer, I was 12 and I got one every 4 weeks cause thats what the stylist said:ohwell: then I went to six weeks. Now I've found the board I go for 10.

I think a lot of people relax soon beause the stylists tells them to. ALL the stylists I've been to have told me to relax at 6 weeks:nono: They said if you wait a long time, the hair starts to break but no one has ever told me to keep the demarcation line moist. And I think a lot of BW put a lot of stock into what the stylist says.

I also think others relax that early because they have a disgust for nappy hair. My friend is like that.

Covergirl5906

I think a lot of people relax soon beause the stylists tells them to. ALL the stylists I've been to have told me to relax at 6 weeks:nono: They said if you wait a long time, the hair starts to break but no one has ever told me to keep the demarcation line moist. And I think a lot of BW put a lot of stock into what the stylist says.

I also think others relax that early because they have a disgust for nappy hair. My friend is like that.

DITTO...stylists tell people 6 weeks, and of course people who don't know any better believe everything that the "professional" tells them is correct.

tatiana

My sister used to relax every 4 weeks; I don't know if she still does. At the time she said her hair grew 1 inch a month. She consistently has have worn her hair between BSL and WSL (I dont think she wants her hair longer than this) for the past 20+ years. As a kid, no relaxer, she wore it longer.

Ramya

My hair grows about an inch a month. I could relax at 4 weeks and sometimes I did. I have never had unhealthy hair either.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I know someone who relaxes every 4weeks. I think that is crazy. Her reason is her hair is so thick, and she goes to the hairdresser everyweek. She does her own relaxing and then the following the blow her out. One time she had serious relaxer burn, and it was all good to her. She thinks I am the crazy one for going so long with out touch ups, but even when I was younger I did not relax til about 10 or so weeks, even though stylist said every 6-8 weeks. I always waited until I had an inch or so of new growth.

trenise

I used to relax every 4 weeks before this board and thought I had waited a long time if 5 weeks passed. I thought it was the right thing to do and I have very coarse hair. By that time the edges would start to kank up a lot and I was touching and twisting them all the time because of the texture. Relaxing was a way to keep my hands out of my hair.

bermudabeauty

Everybody is different. Everyone has different rate of growth, growth patterns, and hair practices. Everyone can't stretch to 16weeks. Their hair will break or shed terribly. I for one am one of these people. My hair grows very fast. And I do what my hair tells me to do. When my hair starts shedding it is relaxer time. For me it is about 5-6wks.

girlyprincess23

Everybody is different. Everyone has different rate of growth, growth patterns, and hair practices. Everyone can't stretch to 16weeks. Their hair will break or shed terribly. I for one am one of these people. My hair grows very fast. And I do what my hair tells me to do. When my hair starts shedding it is relaxer time. For me it is about 5-6wks.

Ditto this is my hair exactly, but I can get to 12 weeks at the very most and even then i will have at least 1.5 inches. but that's my hair's breaking point!! found that out early this year.

Katt73

Co-signing. My hair sheds, tangles, and breaks like crazy usually starting at six weeks. I've tried stretching to seven and eight, but the hair that I lose just isn't worth it. My hair thrives when it's relaxed every six or seven weeks, but I baby it, deep condition, moisturize, and avoid heat like it's the devil in order to compensate. My growth and health hasn't been compromised. I think your texture (mine is a serious 4b) and growth rate matter more than anything else. If I were a 4a or a 3c then, perhaps, I'd be able to go longer between relaxers.

~*Tigget*~

Not me:nono: My hair grows sooooo slow. My DDs hair grows fast and I tried this on them. But ever since I have been reconstructing and healing the damage. Never again.

I remember when they were younger, I only relaxed their hair every 3 months, so it was like 4 relaxers a year. They had the thickest and problem-free hair. During the wait time, I would braid their hair and leave them in for the whole 3 months, wasn't washing it :eek:h:. UMMM that was pre-LHCF.

Now that they are teens...braids are out the question.

Last edited:

Vinyl

I know a lot of the relaxed girls in my class would think that if their hair started looking raggedy or their ends rough, it was time for a whole new relaxer. I don't know how often they relaxed but I could see them doing it every four weeks.

locabouthair

In high school I knew a girl who relaxed every two weeks.:nono:

I know a girl that told me she did this. But she said she did it because her hair was cut in a halle berry style so I guess to maintain the look, she relaxed it every two or three weeks.

I do agree that you have to take into account someone's growth rate.

moonglowdiva

I would assume that people relax their hair every 4, 6, 8 weeks because of the lack of knowledge. We have been programmed to do what is normal. In the world of AA hair relaxing every 4, 6, 8 week is normal. What we do here on LHCF is not normal because we are a minority. AA women believe that stylist tell them because they are licensed and are professional. I had one stylist ask me if I though I was white because I wash 2 times per week and relax sometime after 9 weeks post. This stylist has her hair cut in a short Halle Berry cut and I would assume she relaxes every 2 or 3 week because I have never seen it with ng. She said that black people don't have to wash their hair as often as white people.:blush:

buddhas_mom

I used to relax every 4 weeks before i really cared about my hair. I just didnt like my roots not being straight. I have some family members that relax every 4-5 weeks. My cousin hair grows just fine relaxing every 4 weeks. She doesnt get much breakage. Her hair went from EL to SL in 3 months without growth aids, without moisturizing, without dcing, without vitamins. I hate her for that. But I guess it depends on your hair. I won't be doing that though.

hardymem

I did because that's what I was use to doing and my roots would be so thick by 4 weeks that my scalp was sore so my stylist relaxed every 4 weeks. Now I stretch to 8 which takes a lot more patience but I know its better for my hair.

yuriko

I got a friend who relaxes every four weeks, and she has healthy thick APL hair. I used to think that if you don't relax it, it would break off.

LaidBak

I relax at 4 weeks. I have done so for years. Let me be clear, I am niether ignorant, uninformed, or under the influence of my stylist. Nor am I ashamed of my natural texture.
My hair grows 1/2 inch a month and that is w/o growth aids. The simple fact is that it breaks--A LOT--at the line of demarcation. When I get to 4 weeks post I am seeing very long strands of hair in the sink, in the comb, on the floor, etc. Its not rocket science. That's when its time to relax.
I have begun to use growth aids and got quite a bit more NG in the months of Nov/Dec. It also came much faster. On the advice of this board I tried to stretch to 6 weeks. I moisturized my NG daily and still saw breakage. So I relaxed at 4 weeks to the day and my hair is happier for it.
I'm not saying that I will not try a stretch again. I do plan on trying to make it to 5 weeks. But don't characterize us 4-weekers as somehow less hair savvy than everyone else.

buddhas_mom

I relax at 4 weeks. I have done so for years. Let me be clear, I am niether ignorant, uninformed, or under the influence of my stylist. Nor am I ashamed of my natural texture.
My hair grows 1/2 inch a month and that is w/o growth aids. The simple fact is that it breaks--A LOT--at the line of demarcation. When I get to 4 weeks post I am seeing very long strands of hair in the sink, in the comb, on the floor, etc. Its not rocket science. That's when its time to relax.
I have begun to use growth aids and got quite a bit more NG in the months of Nov/Dec. It also came much faster. On the advice of this board I tried to stretch to 6 weeks. I moisturized my NG daily and still saw breakage. So I relaxed at 4 weeks to the day and my hair is happier for it.
I'm not saying that I will not try a stretch again. I do plan on trying to make it to 5 weeks. But don't characterize us 4-weekers as somehow less hair savvy than everyone else.

If you can relax every 4 weeks I say more power to ya. Some people's hair can handle it some can't. I had to stop because I had alot of breakage and alot of overprocessing which caused my hair to look like it was never growing. I personally don't think you're ignorant. I think everyone should do whats best for their hair and not worry about what other people have to say about it, good or bad. You keep doing you.

Artemis

IMO when a person get a relaxer touch up should depend more on how much new growth they have, not how many weeks it takes them to get there. So however long it takes you to get to a minimum of 1 inch of ng to help curb overlapping is cool to me.

But I do have to say that even if I grew 1 inch/month, I'd still wait till I got at least to 6-8 wks. My scalp just could take that every 4 wks business :nono: