Question For Smart People Only.....

jwhitley6

j/k but now that I have your attention......

I cannot find a scientific explanation for what I've experienced. Hopefully you guys can help me out with this:

I have 2 gray hairs. Both strands turned gray from the ENDS. Note they DID NOT grow out of my scalp gray. I know this for a fact, because I was very intrigued with it. The ends were gray and wiry but the root was still black (I am absolutely positive about this, so don't ask me if I could be mistaken...no chance). It took a couple of weeks for the whole strand to turn gray and now the new growth is also gray. I spoke to my brother about this recently and the same thing happens to him with all of his gray hair (he wears an afro).

I can't find any explanation. We've all heard stories of folks hair turning gray overnight. I'm inclined to believe it now.

I've done online searches and everything I've found says that hair only turns gray from the root due to degraded melanin cells in the scalp. How can the scalp affect the ends of the hair, if hair is indeed dead?...or do the ends affect the scalp? Maybe that's why some folks swear their hair grows faster after a trim. :confused:

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? What is your "scientific" take on it.

Thanks for listening, ladies!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
HEY! I've always wanted to know this too! I don't have any gray hairs but my mom, dad, and sister do and I've noticed this with their hair! :)

jwhitley6

Poohbear said:
HEY! I've always wanted to know this too! I don't have any gray hairs but my mom, dad, and sister do and I've noticed this with their hair! :)

Yay...I know I'm not crazy!

testimony777

The first few grays I ever got did the same thing. I would have shed hairs that were black from the white bulb to about half way down and then were gray.

I thought I was a freak of nature. I did numerous searches to find out the cause to no avail. So sadly I have no explanation to offer but you are not crazy:)

snoopy1me

I always thought maybe it grew out of the scalp gray, but was overlooked for a period of time, and then after awhile the follicle decided to "produce" its color again somehow....this is my made up theory lol

jwhitley6

snoopy1me said:
I always thought maybe it grew out of the scalp gray, but was overlooked for a period of time, and then after awhile the follicle decided to "produce" its color again somehow....this is my made up theory lol

That's a pretty good theory, but then I would have noticed gray-black-gray instead of the full strand turning gray after a couple weeks.

Hmmm....just out of curiousity does your hair appear to grow faster after a trim?

mermaid

My greys do the same thing.
I don't know why, but I dump haircolor on them all the same!:lol:

jwhitley6

mermaid said:
My greys do the same thing.
I don't know why, but I dump haircolor on them all the same!:lol:

:lol: ...I wish mine were colored, but I don't think I want to color my whole head to hide 2 grays. Can I just color each strand?

mermaid

Oh that's right, you only have 2!!
No, I didn't bother with dying when I only had a couple. It wasn't until after I started braiding and finally after wearing braids for a few years and decided to go braid-free for a few months is when I saw the greys and it was WAR
from then on!!:lol: One good thing about the greys: they provide natural highlights when dying!

gn1g

This happens to me all the time sometimes it's gray on the end and at the root and brown or black in the middle a calico colored strand of hair.

here's what I think:

Sometime the food/vitamins or supplements you take change your hair color and also the products you use or the elements that your hair is exposed to can change your hair color or stripe your hair of color. I believe that some strands and places in your head or more prone to this than others.

Copper and alfafa are suppose to change gray hair back to it's original color.

If anyone comes up with a better theory let us know.

jwhitley6

gn1g said:
This happens to me all the time sometimes it's gray on the end and at the root and brown or black in the middle a calico colored strand of hair.

here's what I think:

Sometime the food/vitamins or supplements you take change your hair color and also the products you use or the elements that your hair is exposed to can change your hair color or stripe your hair of color. I believe that some strands and places in your head or more prone to this than others.

Copper and alfafa are suppose to change gray hair back to it's original color.

If anyone comes up with a better theory let us know.

Plausible theory :). What do you think is the cause of your calico gray hair. Do you think it grew from the root gray, changed back to black, then gray again? Or are the external factor to blame?

sherann

This has happened to me too and once it turns grey at the roots, the hair starts to grow in thicker ( I have fine hair so it is easy to notice). I have to try the copper and alfafa thing.

MJ

Be careful with copper. Unlike vitamin C and biotin for example, the metals ( copper, iron, etc.) have to be supplemented with care.

sherann said:
This has happened to me too and once it turns grey at the roots, the hair starts to grow in thicker ( I have fine hair so it is easy to notice). I have to try the copper and alfafa thing.

snoopy1me

jwhitley6 said:
That's a pretty good theory, but then I would have noticed gray-black-gray instead of the full strand turning gray after a couple weeks.

Hmmm....just out of curiousity does your hair appear to grow faster after a trim?

not really...it seems to grow faster towards the end of the 8-10 week period in between relaxers...or maybe it grows pretty consistently, i just notice it more when there's more of it. It does seem to grow faster/more over the summer. When I get a trim, its more even and thicker, so there's less breakage i guess...