Which is the BEST addition to a relaxer: SAA, Oils, or Conditioner?

Sunshine0801

I plan to add two tablespoons of EVOO to my relaxer when I texlax (to slow down the relaxing process) and am wondering if I should also use SAA or conditioner.

Which one do you ladies prefer to add to your relaxer and why?

ETA: Please also mention the ratio of SAA/Oils/Conditioner to relaxer that you use.

TIA!

Last edited:
Anyone purchase their SAA from the Vitame shoppe. I saw some there, but wasn't sure if it was the correct kind. If you do can you list the brand you use?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I add conditioner because it was suggested by another texturized head, back in 06. I continue doing this because conditioner has worked really well for me and I'm too scared to change up the mix.

Aggie

I add conditioner because it was suggested by another texturized head, back in 06. I continue doing this because conditioner has worked really well for me and I'm too scared to change up the mix.

I use SAA and oils myself but I am not afraid o change stuff up so with that said, what is your ratio of conditioner to relaxer do you use Nightingale and do you use a moisturizing or protein conditioner?

isawstars

What kind of conditioner should be mixed with the relaxer? moisturizing, light protein, or moisturizing light protein (ie: Mane & Tail's deep moisturizing condtioner)???

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
When I self-relaxed for the first time, with Linange Shea Butter Relaxer, I did not apply anything i.e. oils, SAA, or conditioner directly to the relaxer.

Because I was not familiar with it and did not want to "compromise" the Integrity of the Relaxer and wanted to see how it performed on it's own especially with the Shea Butter.:yep:

However, I did put Silk Amino Acid on the Ends of my Previously Relaxed Hair for extra Protection & Strength.:grin:

Aggie

What kind of conditioner should be mixed with the relaxer? moisturizing, light protein, or moisturizing light protein (ie: Mane & Tail's deep moisturizing condtioner)???

I would recommend adding a protein conditioner to the relaxer instead of a moisturizing one simply because of the chemical break down ability of the relaxer and the protein helps to combat some of the damaging effects of the relaxer. Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor would be a great additive. Sally's carry a neutral protein filler that can also be used for this purpose.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I use SAA and oils myself but I am not afraid o change stuff up so with that said, what is your ratio of conditioner to relaxer do you use Nightingale and do you use a moisturizing or protein conditioner?

50:50 relaxer to cholesterol conditioner. I'm not very sure if cholesterol is moisturizing or a protein, but at the ratio I use it, the processing time is extended a great deal (which was my goal).

Oh yeah, I spray on Joico K-Pak H.K.P ("chemical perfector") before relaxing.

Last edited: