Which is healtier: Flat-ironed natural hair or rollerset relaxed hair?

ajoyfuljoy

Now I know there will be no consensus on this question and that isn't what I'm looking for. I am interested in hearing from women (really from their own personal opinion) which was healthier for them.

I am considering going natural and will probably want to wear it straight sometimes. I ask myself if it would be better to flat iron my natural hair or just keep relaxing and use mimimal heat.

I have highly-textured, course, kinky, afroish, coily, "curly" whateva you wanna call it :)lachen:) 4a hair. It's very thick. My mom used to always use a hot comb on me and I never remember heat damage being an issue but she had skills.

I'm just wondering which would be the best option in terms of length retention and health. Thank all you ladies in advance for the insightful advice that I'm sure you will give.

Whimsy

I think it matters more on the health of the hair versus the rollerset/flatiron or natural/relaxed...you can have damaged unhealthy natural or relaxed hair.

ajoyfuljoy

I was sort of wondering the same thing.

Yikes your hair is beautiful! How often do you blow dry and flat iron as a natural head? I think if I went natural I proably would want to do it every other week or so. I hardly ever flat iron as a relaxed head b/c my relaxed hair doesn't like a lot of heat.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I was able to get strait hair by combing out my natural hair when it was damp and just roller set it. I didn't need to use heat at all and that amazed me. I'm subbing to this thread. In the winter, I'll probably use styles like this.:yep:

ClassicBeauty

When my hair was relaxed, I always rollerset it. It was healthy and pretty, but not even comparable to my natural hair when it's flat-ironed. My natural hair is stronger, longer than ever, more durable, etc. I rarely have splits, and I like it a lot better. I also have the option to wear it curly or straight. When I was relaxed, I tried the wash & go look, but it never worked for me.

I will admit that my relaxed hair was much easier!!! The natural hair is more time consuming and more complicated, but it's worth it. Of course that's my opinion.

ryanshope

I would vote for flat-ironed natural. I made this choice because natural hair that is well taken care of will always look better straightened than relaxed hair--that was one of the many reasons that I decided to go natural. Natural hair is lusher and fuller than relaxed hair(even when rollerset).

Southernbella.

They are the same, for my hair. My relaxed hair was at its healthiest when I was rollersetting regularly. My natural hair is super strong, so flat ironing hasn't done any damage, and it reverts right back when it's washed. I think coarse, thick hair like ours is very resilient. :yep

I think it depends on how often you are flatironing as a natural. If done too often, I think you could run into some issues. I know someone who had a relaxer and had beautiful thick hair, she transitioned to natural and to keep a straight look, flatironed all the time. Needless to say, her hair was better off relaxed. It become thinner as a natural because of the constant use of heat. She honestly should have just kept a relaxer. So I guess, it depends on how often you plan to use heat.

syncerelyhis

Yikes your hair is beautiful! How often do you blow dry and flat iron as a natural head? I think if I went natural I proably would want to do it every other week or so. I hardly ever flat iron as a relaxed head b/c my relaxed hair doesn't like a lot of heat.

Thank you! I blow dry and flat iron maybe 5 times per year. I probably will flat iron more often when I reach my goals.

I was able to get strait hair by combing out my natural hair when it was damp and just roller set it. I didn't need to use heat at all and that amazed me. I'm subbing to this thread. In the winter, I'll probably use styles like this.:yep:

I think that this would probably be the case for me too, I'm just not sure about how my roots would look.

NikStarrr

My experience, natural is healthier period. I've been natural for just over a year now and went from layered short hair to APL, even after frequent trims. It's like my hair just thrives without any real effort. I've been relaxed, I've been texlaxed....and my hair has never been as thick and healthy as it is now that I'm natural. I've also seen, in my personal experience, that my natural hair is stronger and can take more manipulation. My texlaxed hair started breaking just from wet bunning at times--never been an issue with my natural hair! So for me, natural and flat ironed is healthier.

morehairplease

I have wondered the same thing. In all honestly, I believe that being natural and flat ironing is better for my hair. My hair is very tightly coiled and knots/tangles easily and must be keep in a straight state it seems or I am just asking for trouble.

ajoyfuljoy

Wow that is very interesting. I know that a lot of the ladies in the Ethiopian salon thread were saying that the stylist got their hair straight just by rollersetting too.

They are the same, for my hair. My relaxed hair was at its healthiest when I was rollersetting regularly. My natural hair is super strong, so flat ironing hasn't done any damage, and it reverts right back when it's washed. I think coarse, thick hair like ours is very resilient. :yep

I was hoping you would respond Southernbella. I am your e-fan :grin: That's really good to know.

sexylonglegs

I am currently going natural right now and i wash, deep condition, blow dry and flat iron my hair once every 8-9 days and may even go longer depending on how much my head sweat. I am very gentle with my hair and detangle with a denman or large tooth shower comb. I use a Chi blow dryer and Chi flat iron and always use a heat protectant. My hair is thriving and I have 4a-4b hair. I do wear protective styling like human half and full wigs or full lace wigs so I am not putting heat in my hair that much. The half wigs do have combs but I try to be very careful with those. I I oil my hair every other day and wrap it back up.. My opinion is natural and flat ironed is healthier for the hair. By the way I love transitioning it is so exhilerating. Good Luck!!!!!!!

laCriolla

in my experience and opinion, if you want a straight look but have naturally curly hair, it's better to relax and rollerset.

I used to flat iron my natural hair, and it wasn't nearly as healthy or long as it is now that I relax and rollerset.

Natural hair is healthier if you're going to wear it natural. But it occured to me, I'm pulling out my hair trying to straighten it, when I can just relax it chemically and be easier on it. Since then it doesn't break off because i'm not yanking and pulling it as hard to get it straight.

If I wanted to wear my hair curly all the time, I'd definitely go natural.

i hope that makes sense, lol.

MoMo

I think they are equal. I have seen some of the most beautiful heads of hair from women that are relaxed and rollerset on a regular basis and in person, some very beautiful heads of hair on natural women who consistantly flat iron once or twice a month.

jerseygirl1977

I think relaxed and rollerset set is healthier. I've been both. I'm currently natural and I've flatironed several times and it has changed the texture of my hair. I have straight pieces that will not revert and that are constantly splitting. I now have to grow my hair out all over again. If you want your hair straightened on a regular basis, stay relaxed.

Celestial

I don't see how either can be unhealthy. I think that the flat iron and pressing comb is better than chemicals and it usually looks better than a relaxer.

Ivey14

Well, speaking from experience, I would vote for natural flat-ironed hair. For me, it looks just as though it was relaxed back when I was young (12-16). I think as long as you protect your hair BEFORE applying heat to it, do it to a minimum, and flat-iron on DRY hair, you should be fine. I've been natural for 7ish years and have only started flat-ironing my hair when it got long enough in 2007. When done right, people used to always compliment my hair saying that it looked fake because it was shiny and almost split-end free (I trimmed my ends monthly) after flat-ironing it. Just be sure to give your hair a break every now and then. And for best results, flat-iron hair that's CLEAN and DRY. If you apply EXTREME heat to hair that is still wet/damp, it will create bubbles and the hair will break off wherever these have been created. You definitely want to gradually dry the hair.

Oh, most importantly: moisturize, moisturize as the continuous use of heat will suck the moisture out of your hair and make it dry and brittle! I always use products before heat and after to add back moisture that has been lost after gliding that iron. Also, please be sure to invest on a good quality flat-iron as this can make all the difference in how much damage will be done to your hair after every use. Look for ceramic/tourmaline and avoid bare metal plates.

Aside from all that, you have more versatility and can switch from curly to straight easily whenever the mood strikes you. I think it's better to temporarily alter your hair, than to do so permanently with chemicals. I don't even dye my hair—heat is enough damage for my naturally thin, 3c strands!

I mean, technically, either way, you are risking damage to your hair, so I say, go with the lesser of two evils. :)

Celestial

Well, speaking from experience, I would vote for natural flat-ironed hair. For me, it looks just as though it was relaxed back when I was young (12-16). I think as long as you protect your hair BEFORE applying heat to it, do it to a minimum, and flat-iron on DRY hair, you should be fine. I've been natural for 7ish years and have only started flat-ironing my hair when it got long enough in 2007. When done right, people used to always compliment my hair saying that it looked fake because it was shiny and almost split-end free (I trimmed my ends monthly) after flat-ironing it. Just be sure to give your hair a break every now and then. And for best results, flat-iron hair that's CLEAN and DRY. If you apply EXTREME heat to hair that is still wet/damp, it will create bubbles and the hair will break off wherever these have been created. You definitely want to gradually dry the hair.

Oh, most importantly: moisturize, moisturize as the continuous use of heat will suck the moisture out of your hair and make it dry and brittle! I always use products before heat and after to add back moisture that has been lost after gliding that iron. Also, please be sure to invest on a good quality flat-iron as this can make all the difference in how much damage will be done to your hair after every use. Look for ceramic/tourmaline and avoid bare metal plates.

Aside from all that, you have more versatility and can switch from curly to straight easily whenever the mood strikes you. I think it's better to temporarily alter your hair, than to do so permanently with chemicals. I don't even dye my hair—heat is enough damage for my naturally thin, 3c strands!

I mean, technically, either way, you are risking damage to your hair, so I say, go with the lesser of two evils. :)
Do you believe the flat iron damages the hair? I don't think it does if done properly.

Ivey14

Do you believe the flat iron damages the hair? I don't think it does if done properly.

Well, from the research I've done, I've read that heat can still damage the hair even if done properly. Every time you apply any extremity to the hair whether you submit it to extremely cold, windy weather, or really hot, sunny weather...or a flat-iron set at 350 or more degrees...it's applying stress to your hair. Your hair can only take so much and over time, the hair shaft will start to damage, split, thin, and break. Just like everything else, after constant wear and tear and abuse, things will start to go downhill. Like skin—the more sun damage you give it when you go tanning, the more wrinkles you will get and your skin will start to lose it's elasticity. Same with hair....it's just a natural progress. Too much heat applied to anything, dries it out.

That's why I advised doing it to a minimum so the damage is done at a much slower pace and by the time the damage is seen, you would have grown some hair and be able to cut off the damaged parts at the ends. That's how I maintain it, by trimming. But either way, some kind of damage is being done when you flat-iron.

Last edited:

Aspire

I think it depends on how often you are flatironing as a natural. If done too often, I think you could run into some issues. . . .

I think they are equal. I have seen some of the most beautiful heads of hair from women that are relaxed and rollerset on a regular basis and in person, some very beautiful heads of hair on natural women who consistently flat iron once or twice a month.

Well, speaking from experience, I would vote for natural flat-ironed hair. For me, it looks just as though it was relaxed back when I was young (12-16). I think as long as you protect your hair BEFORE applying heat to it, do it to a minimum, and flat-iron on DRY hair, you should be fine. . .

ITA with all the bolded. I also think this may be a key factor when deciding whether or not to go natural. If you are a person who plans to wear your hair straight 95% of the time, the heat to achieve that look could be harmful. A well cared for relaxer with no heat might be better. At the same time, if you are constantly manipulating your hair for styles more suited to natural textured hair, then that might be to much stress for relaxed hair.

I have personally done both and I have had damaged and health hair with both. Although, since joining LHCF, my definition of healthy has definitely changed.

spelmanlocks

When I had natural hair I pressed it every two weeks for years, over time my hair became extemely damaged as a result. I've been relaxed for about 4 or 5 years now and my hair started to become damaged from two much roller setting too. So I try to use very little heat now, because I've learned that either way over time it will start to damage your hair natural or relaxed.

NikStarrr

I'd say flat-ironed natural hair is healthier. I mean, some ppl get breakage from JUST the relaxer, let alone factoring in styling methods.
Also, some ppl notice thinning hair from a lot of rollersetting as well from all the manipulation.

Dak

I've done both, my hair has been at it's healthiest while staying natural and roller setting. For some reason, when I chemically straightened my hair it was forever breaking and splitting. The hair shaft never looked healthy, it would be very thin and flat in certain sections then take a turn and change direction.

Now I'm using BKT and have to say it's the healthiest and most manageable that it's ever been.

i dont really know about this...
My favorite example is prettyfaceanb... since we were in highschool her hair has grown as fast if not faster than mine... I've never had a perm, she has always relaxed. We both used to take good care of our hair too.
Soon as I stopped takin care of mine I had to go to chop city as u can see in my siggy... and now that I am, regardless of what I'm doing I haven't really had a really bad setback...

I think it varies person to person, cuz for me pressing it is fine, but I usually leave it straight for 3-4 weeks after that and try not to put too much more heat in it... then I usually go nappy 4 awhile...

Celestial

That's why I advised doing it to a minimum so the damage is done at a much slower pace and by the time the damage is seen, you would have grown some hair and be able to cut off the damaged parts at the ends. That's how I maintain it, by trimming. But either way, some kind of damage is being done when you flat-iron.

This is what me and my family can't figure out. What damage is exactly being done. My mother only straightens my sister hair with a hot comb and since the breakthrough of the new flat-irons she now flat iron her hair. My sister hair isn't damage. It doesn't thin out; break; shed; and it remains thick and grows. Her hair doesn't resort back immediately after washing it. It take about 7 washes for my sister hair to resort back to normal. I don't know why people say that it damages the hair.