Which Crop Of BAQ Henna Will Give My Hair The Most Color, etc?

CocoGlow

I know some of you are Henna experts so I need your help!

I know that there are different crops of Body Art Quality henna from different countries... so I would like to know which one would give my naturally dark dark brown (off black) hair the most vibrant color? Rajasthan, Pakistan, Yemen, other...

I have been using the henna from www.fromnaturewithlove.com for the past year and although I see burgandy-ish highlights in sections I don't know if henna from another site would offer more of a color boost or if that is about as much color as I should expect from any henna....

Also, I want to know from those who have used both the henna from FNWL and henna from www.hennaforhair.com or www.hennasooq.com or elsewhere....do you think the powders are comparable at all in terms of quality?

I chose the henna from FNWL last year b/c it was cheaper - only $6.95 per pound-- it is a fine powder, well sifted w/ no pebbles or sticks and no fillers from what I can tell, however FNWL does not provide info as to the country of orgin, whether it is BAQ or not or what year it was harvested so I don't know.....

Thanks in advance henna lovers! :yep:
NappyRina

Last edited:

JustKiya

I don't know personally, but I know that Nightshade (I think her name is) over on TLHC did some pretty comprehensive tests with white mohair and henna, and I think that the general consensus was - ain't that much of a difference. The thread is off in nevernever land of the internet since TLHC went down/came back, though - when they get the archives up, it should be in there.

I've got the burgandy highlights too, and I'd LOVE to push it redredred, but I didn't think there really was a way, besides starting with lighter colored hair - so - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread....

CocoGlow

Thanks JustKiya aka Nappywomyn LOL

I'm thinking you may be right...maybe I should just get the $1 samples of each crop from hennaforhair and test those out on shed hair to see if there really is a difference compared to my FNWL henna

I'd rather keep paying the cheap price at FNWL but I need to know for sure that the results will be similar so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything

I sent an e-mail to FNWL inquiring about their henna and here it is:

"Greetings!

I am assuming this is the proper e-mail address to send my inquiry. I apologize if it is not.

I have purchased henna from you in the past and am happy with it, however I do have some questions about it that are not addressed on your site in the description section for your henna powder.

I was hoping you could answer the following:

1) Which country of origin is your henna from?
2) Is your henna always from the same country/manufacturer or does it vary?
3) Is your henna Body Art Quality?
4) Are there any additional ingredients in your henna powder besides powdered henna leaves?
5) How fresh is the henna sold on your site?

Thank you, in advance for your time & effort in answering my questions!"

Hopefully they will respond promptly w/ some detailed answers! I will post whatever their response is as well for anyone who may be interested

oh yeah &

BUMPING for more responses!!! :yep:

JustKiya

:nono:

I already neeeeed to go to the indian store to get myself re-upped on my ayurvedics powders, don't have me in there buying erry kind of henna they have too! :lol:

CocoGlow

Well if anyone is interested, I got an e-mail response from FNWL regarding thier henna. Like I stated before, they don't provide a lot of information in the description section for their henna power, such as the country of origin, the year of harvest, whether or not it is BAQ (Body Art Quality), etc

This is the response:

Hi Mrs. XXXXX,

Our henna powder is pure henna and is quite fresh so it is used for
body art by many of our customers. We do maintain the same supplier
however I am not aware of the country of origin at this time.

Sincerely,

Kassie
Tech Help
www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Very brief and non-descriptive, just like their website!

Well I've decided to stick w/ their henna powder b/c it seems to get the job done...my color does not come through intense but honestly I don't know if it would w/ any other brand being that my hair is dark, dark brown anyway.

It does appear to be of good quality b/c it is a fine powder that does not have any pebbles or sticks or anything else in it for that matter. The dye releases fairly quickly. I have not had any bad reactions. It adds great sheen to my hair, a nice burgandy-red tint, and makes my strands more thick & wiry. Besides, I don't think I want to pay more than $6.95 a pound for good henna if I don't have to.

I do have to learn how to properly DC afterward to avoid the post-henna straw feel to my hair..either that or I will stick to henna glosses.....

Last edited:

JustKiya

Yeah, FNWL doesn't tend to be very flowery, do they?

I've gotta admit, I'm cheap, and I HAVE to have finely ground henna. Those two things alone will keep me going back to FNWL...

SpyCats

I found that I got the best (darker) most vibrant red color with henna from Yemen (best to use with indigo...to me anyway), and it releases pretty quickly too.

I currently order BAQ henna from hennaforhair.com and I love the quality. I have never ordered from FNWL so I can't compare the two. However I have ordered from a couple of diffrerent companies (the names escape me...I will try to remember and post/update later).

CocoGlow

I found that I got the best (darker) most vibrant red color with henna from Yemen (best to use with indigo...to me anyway), and it releases pretty quickly too.

I currently order BAQ henna from hennaforhair.com and I love the quality. I have never ordered from FNWL so I can't compare the two. However I have ordered from a couple of diffrerent companies (the names escape me...I will try to remember and post/update later).

Thanks blkbutterflyz0301 ... I keep hearing that people love either the Yemen or Jamila henna..interesting!!

I have no clue where the FNWL henna is from but I do think it is good quality...it seems that no one has used both FNWL henna and one of the reputable BAQ hennas from hennforhair.com or elsewhere for comparison.....oh well I guess I'll never know! :rolleyes: