Where my Bay Area Ladies at???!!

NuMe2004

Okay, first of all, I'd like to know where my Bay Area ladies at so that we can meetup somewhere for cocktails and discuss our hair issues :).

Secondly, I need some salon recommendations. I've been to a few spots in Hayward and Oakland and haven't really found any place that is #1) professional, #2) cares about the health of your hair, and #3) can do a mean flat iron. I can do my own hair, but sometimes I just don't feel like taming the fro :afro: and want to be pampered.

Please, if you're from the Bay, holla at me. Let me know of some good salons, preferably in the Hayward, Union City, Fremont, and San Jose area. I really don't want to go to Oakland 'cause I'm closer to the South Bay and will just lose more money in gas that way.

Thanks in advance. Smooches! :kiss:

skipper

i dont live in the bay area anymore but i come home to visit a lot my parents still live in san jose. my hairstylist is good not great he knows my hair he can be a bit rough at times but i dont feel like going through trail and error until i can find a really good stylist. he dosent get upset when i tell him not to trim and when he did trim it was never a crazy amount he pretty much always gave me a baby trim and i would only see him once every few months. yeah i wouldnt really recomend him but i like him but he's not worth the trip to the south bay all the way from hayward.

NuMe2004

Come on, I know there has to be more ladies in the Bay than this. :confused:

BUMPITTY BUMPING FOR MORE RESPONSES!!!

hopeful

East bay in the house!:grin: I haven't found anyone to do my hair yet but I heard there was a sister at the Aveda Salon on Santana Row in San Jose. I've been meaning to try her out sometime.

:grin: Yaaaaaaaay, Im in the East Bay.
Im natural and looking for a new stylist myself. Im going to her next week. She was recommended to me by this girl when I asked her who did her hair. She was natural as well. Ill let you know about my experience.
Only thing is she's in Oakland, sorry.

Last edited:

candita

I've discovered Lisa at Urban Roots Hair Salon up in San Francisco. She's hella nice and is probably the only person I let near my hair with scissors! :lachen: Her appointments usually book a month in advance, but you can see her open schedule on her website.

So there's a potential of someone who can do black hair at the Santana Row Aveda? Great, now another reason to go there!

ladymekole

I'm from the Bay Area. I live in Tracy, but I go to Oakland almost every weekend to see family.
I do my own hair so I don't really have any sugestions on stylist. I did go this one salon on Grand Avenue by Lake Merritt, but I can't think of the name at this time.... I'm thinking its called heads together.
I just found the card, it is called heads together phase II. The lady that did my hair name is Lavada. She was good. She flat ironed my hair very good. I haven't been there for a few years though. So, I don't know how the shop is now, or if Lavada still works there.

hopeful

I've discovered Lisa at Urban Roots Hair Salon up in San Francisco. She's hella nice and is probably the only person I let near my hair with scissors! :lachen: Her appointments usually book a month in advance, but you can see her open schedule on her website.

So there's a potential of someone who can do black hair at the Santana Row Aveda? Great, now another reason to go there!

Would you mind posting her website and/or the salon's website? TIA

NuMe2004

So glad I bumped this up :)!

Good to see there are some ladies on here from the Bay, although I wish there were more :(. A lot of y'all seem to have relocated.

Anywho, I've also been doing some research on my own, and I think I'm going to check out Strictly Styles in San Jose off the Stevens Creek exit. Their website is www.strictlystyles.com. If I go, I'll post a review for y'all :).

On another note, how about those cocktails ladies??? :drink:

hopeful

Good to see there are some ladies on here from the Bay, although I wish there were more :(. A lot of y'all seem to have relocated.

Anywho, I've also been doing some research on my own, and I think I'm going to check out Strictly Styles in San Jose off the Stevens Creek exit. Their website is www.strictlystyles.com. If I go, I'll post a review for y'all :).

That salon sounds nice!

A856

Bay Area Chica checking in! (Oak)
I've been looking for ya'll in the meeting forum :lachen:.

Sorry i can't suggets a stylist...i do my own hair...LOL!!!

So ummm yeah can we meet up??

hrtbndr21

Hey y'all I'm in San Jose. I haven't had too much luck w/ stylists down here in the South Bay the one's I've run into tend to be kind a trifling. :perplexed Now that I'm natural I'm too scared to let anybody else touch my hair, I've only been to the salon once for braids in '06 I wasn't impressed.

I did have one guy I went to from '03-'05 he was working out of the JCPenny Salon in Valco Fashion Park Mall but I lost track of him when I transitioned to natural :wallbash: (If anybody knows the whereabouts of Otis Battle please PM me please!).

Yes we should try to get a meet up together. Having "Black hair" in the Bay Area or at least the South Bay is a challenge (salons closing, stylists moving around, stores don't keep products in stock etc.).

NuMe2004

Good to see some of you are interested in meeting up :).

Just name a time and place and I'm there! This weekend and next is no good for me. Maybe we could meet somewhere on the 23 or 24. How about Mimi's Cafe (@ Southland Mall) in Hayward?? After all, Hayward is a good middle ground since many of you seem to be coming from Oakland, and I'm closer to the south bay.

hopeful

I don't think most of us are from Oakland, but I'd be willing to drive to Hayward. I'll pm you my city. The 23rd is Memorial Day weekend so I'm not available that weekend, shoot I'm not available till the weekend of June 14th. If I miss this meetup hopefully I can make the next one.

Sascha

Stay at home Mommy
Hey, I'm from Sacramento area....I think a meet-up would be fun! I will watch this thread!

amina kamal

I just moved to San Francisco with my fiancee two weeks ago. although I usually do my hair myself I would still like to know about a spot I can go to just in case. I am literally downtown San francisco and still not to sure about how to get around. I would love to meet up with some of you though. also I see alot of eritreans around, maybe there is an eritrean salon somewhere that does hair well.

shoegirl

I've been away for a while now, but I grew up in the Bay Area, and every time I go home, I can't wait for my old stylist to get her hands in my hair. Her name is Susan, and she works at the JCPenny's in Southland, and she is awesome! She pressed my hair from the time I was 8 until I left for college when I was 18, and my hair was very healthy, and people always thought I had a perm. I HIGHLY recommend her!!!!

hrtbndr21

I've been away for a while now, but I grew up in the Bay Area, and every time I go home, I can't wait for my old stylist to get her hands in my hair. Her name is Susan, and she works at the JCPenny's in Southland, and she is awesome! She pressed my hair from the time I was 8 until I left for college when I was 18, and my hair was very healthy, and people always thought I had a perm. I HIGHLY recommend her!!!!

Thanks I'll make a note of that. I wanna get my hair pressed for my B-day coming up. :yep:

NuMe2004

I don't think most of us are from Oakland, but I'd be willing to drive to Hayward. I'll pm you my city. The 23rd is Memorial Day weekend so I'm not available that weekend, shoot I'm not available till the weekend of June 14th. If I miss this meetup hopefully I can make the next one.

Oops, I wasn't aware this weekend was a holiday. Maybe we should shoot for June. And, we don't have to meet in Hayward. I've got a car and there's always BART, so I'm open :).

Seraphina

Spoken like a true Nor Cal lady!:lachen:

BTW, I'm on the Peninsula, moving to the city in two months, though.

I'm from the Bay Area. I live in Tracy, but I go to Oakland almost every weekend to see family.
I do my own hair so I don't really have any sugestions on stylist. I did go this one salon on Grand Avenue by Lake Merritt, but I can't think of the name at this time.... I'm thinking its called heads together.
I just found the card, it is called heads together phase II. The lady that did my hair name is Lavada. She was good. She flat ironed my hair very good. I haven't been there for a few years though. So, I don't know how the shop is now, or if Lavada still works there.

OMG, I used to go to Heads Together. I went to Kalundra, shes good, but imo she uses to much heat! And thinks its "training" the hair.
Lavada still works there as well

I'd attend.

I just moved to San Francisco with my fiancee two weeks ago. although I usually do my hair myself I would still like to know about a spot I can go to just in case. I am literally downtown San francisco and still not to sure about how to get around. I would love to meet up with some of you though. also I see alot of eritreans around, maybe there is an eritrean salon somewhere that does hair well.

Girl the BART is a good mode of transportation in SF.

A856

OMG, I used to go to Heads Together. I went to Kalundra, shes good, but imo she uses to much heat! And thinks its "training" the hair.
Lavada still works there as well

I think i know who this Kalundra is...did she use to work at Victor Jeromes, and Macys?? If so I was going to her at one point...my dislike was that she took entirely tooo long either than that there were no complaints...well maybe the heat too. I just saw her not too long ago but was unable to ask where she is now.

Amina K...my cousin use to go to an Ethopian lady off of Telegraph she used Aveda products my cousin liked her but they had some kinda falling out (not hair related) so she stopped going...i'll get her info and post later.

Good dates for me...
Saturday's
May 31, and thereafter any Saturday in June except June 7th.

suggestions for meeting places I'm open and willing to travel.

Holler!:grin:

mika vs sasha

BAY AREA LADY- CHECKING IN. I'M DOWN TO MEET FOR DRINKS, CAN'T WAIT TO MEET EVERYONE. IF YOU NEED A GOOD STYLIST, I RECOMMEND HAIRPLAY W/ DENISE. YOU CAN CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE- HAIRPLAY.COM

amina kamal

Amina K...my cousin use to go to an Ethopian lady off of Telegraph she used Aveda products my cousin liked her but they had some kinda falling out (not hair related) so she stopped going...i'll get her info and post later.

Thanks A-Yannie, I will keep an eye on this thread for her info:yep:

I think i know who this Kalundra is...did she use to work at Victor Jeromes, and Macys?? If so I was going to her at one point...my dislike was that she took entirely tooo long either than that there were no complaints...well maybe the heat too. I just saw her not too long ago but was unable to ask where she is now.

Good dates for me...
Saturday's
May 31, and thereafter any Saturday in June except June 7th.

suggestions for meeting places I'm open and willing to travel.

Holler!:grin:

Hmm Im not sure. Ive only known her for about a year. And yes if this is the same person, Kalundra has a BAD habit of showing up late or forgetting appointments. I couldnt take it any longer.
I still have her business card though.

CurlyMoo

HEY! I'm looking to visit the Bay Area and possibly move there. Is it as expensive as they say it is?:ohwell: I live in Chicago and looking to gooooooo.

hopeful

HEY! I'm looking to visit the Bay Area and possibly move there. Is it as expensive as they say it is?:ohwell: I live in Chicago and looking to gooooooo.

Yes it is! But with the housing crunch you just might be able to get a good deal though, I think it's worth taking a look. Northern California is beautiful and the weather is unbeatable.