Where do your curls start?

inthepink

My new growth always came in wavy. As I transitioned, I had a section in my nape area that broke off and I realized that once my hair is "free" it is actually curly. What I've realized since I've cut off all of my relaxed ends is that my hair is still wavy at the roots, does a lazy spiral towards the ends, and then spiral curls about an inch or two from the tip.

I've seen some people's pictures of new growth and they have curls/coils that start right at the root.

Where do yours start? And why? Do most curly heads have curls that start at the root or curls that start at the tip?

Am I even making sense?

SilkyandSmooth

You're making perfect sense Hairlove. My hair grows out of my head curly. The longer my new growth gets, the wavier it becomes. It's weird because I have curls at my roots, a few inches of defined waves and nothing but straightness the rest of the way.

Tai

It depends. Some of my hair starts off wavy and some starts off curly. I noticed that the longer the new growth is, the more wavy it appears.

Aerie17

My texture is different in different parts of my head. The new growth iswavy in the top and at the back it's less wavy at the root. My hair is relaxed and has been for so long, I don't remember what it is like natural! I am curious to see what it would be like natural, now that I know how to take care of it, but, "ahem" I live in the humidity capital, so don't think it will happen soon.

Victorian

old head
My hair is sort of fickle
The front comes in wavy and so far (at about 4 inches or so) it has yet to curl up. The nape comes in curly and the curls are slightly looser than the rest of my coily hair. The rest (the majority of my hair) comes in wavy and stays wavy until it gets a certain length, then all of a sudden it's coily. Once a little section of hair decides to form a coil, any hair that springs from the follicles henceforth will follow the coily pattern--in other words, once a coil, it stays a coil all the way to the scalp rather than having a wavy lock that only coils at the end. Got all that?

Kha

I think my hair for the most part comes in very wavy. Most of my coils or curlies begin about halfway down my hair and get curlier as you get down to the ends.

LadyCapri

My new growth is starting to come in wavy. I now have two inches of new unrelaxed growth. I need more growth to see how much it curls.

InsertCleverNameHere

My hair is usually half curly, half wavy. I think part of that is based on length though. I think if my hair didn't have a little weight to it, it may have spiraled further up. I transitioned to shoulder length, no "big" chop really and I usually see all the way up curls on the shorter hair.

jewel

curls at the root all the way down. if i do not finger comb and seperate curls i will look like shirley temple.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I just answered this in the 2 hair type thread.
When my hair is long and natural (as it is now) the curls start after about 1,5 inch or so. But when my hair was relaxed I never really saw any waves or curls at all at the roots.
I once cut off all my hair (a BC) and my hair stood straight up/out like a Japanese baby until it was about 1,5-2 inches long. Very annoying.

Divastate

When my hair was longer and relaxed my new growth had no curls- now that it is shorter and all natural the coils start at the root. I think the longer and heavier your hair is the more likely it is to start as waves since the roots have so much weight pulling them down (at least this was the case for my sister in law- her roots are curly now that she cut her hair shorter but previously they were wavy).

It was really impossible to tell my hair type just from my new growth when I had a relaxer. Before I did my big chop I was 100% sure I was 4b but it turned out to not be the case.

Carlie

My hair is relaxed but I have over an inch of newgrowth and it seems to grow in straight at the very root and the wave/curl/coil up. I guess this is good when it comes to my edges because no matter how much new growth I have, my hair always lays down around the edges and then further up...it'll curl/coil up.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
I realized that once my hair is "free" it is actually curly.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Free" as in "free from relaxed hair"?

Tracy

I have ringlets from the roots in some places and a wave into a ringlet in others. In yet others I have a tighter wave at the roots and a looser wave at the bottom.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I realized that once my hair is "free" it is actually curly.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Free" as in "free from relaxed hair"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that is what I meant. /images/graemlins/smile.gif