When you get cornrows with extensions done, do you or the stylist...

Harina

add the fake hair from the start of the cornrow or do they cornrow row your real hair then add the fake hair after they have cornrowed your real hair a bit? I had my hair cornrowed (just straight back) like a year ago with extensions and it looked such a ham, so fake. And I was trying to figure out why? And I realized it was because the braider added the hair form the very start so there were just these big bumps of fake hair at my hairline. Or maybe she just added too much hair from the get go. Just wondering. I want to get a cornrow updo and I want be sure it actually looks nice this time.

The techinique is called cherokee braids. It looks so much better when they first braid your hair, then add in the extension hair. I think they charge more to do it this way, not sure why. Had it done once years ago, and loved it. Will never do it any other way.

Just make sure you tell them this is what you want. If they don't know it by cherokee braids, explain, or best bring a pic of the style.

Whenever I had cornrows w/extensions they added the hair form the start and it came out fine. Perhaps it has to do with the type of hair they used with your own-if the fake is is super shiny then that might make it look sorta weird. =/

Sometimes they do make the knots, start of the braid too freaking big. Especially if the braider isn't seasoned or your getting larger braids. But the cherokee style, gives it a more natural look, and gives it more elegance IMO.

I also think it can relieve some of the hairline tension, since the added hair is not getting wrapped around a smaller more fragile portion of hair.

Whenever I had cornrows w/extensions they added the hair form the start and it came out fine. Perhaps it has to do with the type of hair they used with your own-if the fake is is super shiny then that might make it look sorta weird. =/

Yeah, I think it was how much she used for each cornrow and the type as hair as well. Either way, I like the way my real hair looks by itself when cornrowed, I just want a little more length to be able to do an updo, so I'll look for braiders who can braid in the cherokee style.

The techinique is called cherokee braids. It looks so much better when they first braid your hair, then add in the extension hair. I think they charge more to do it this way, not sure why. Had it done once years ago, and loved it. Will never do it any other way.

Just make sure you tell them this is what you want. If they don't know it by cherokee braids, explain, or best bring a pic of the style.

Sometimes they do make the knots, start of the braid too freaking big. Especially if the braider isn't seasoned or your getting larger braids. But the cherokee style, gives it a more natural look, and gives it more elegance IMO.

I also think it can relieve some of the hairline tension, since the added hair is not getting wrapped around a smaller more fragile portion of hair.

Thank you so much. I never thought it would have an actual name. I will make sure to check to see if potential braiders can do it this way.

Yeah, I think it was how much she used for each cornrow and the type as hair as well. Either way, I like the way my real hair looks by itself when cornrowed, I just want a little more length to be able to do an updo, so I'll look for braiders who can braid in the cherokee style.

Thank you so much. I never thought it would have an actual name. I will make sure to check to see if potential braiders can do it this way.

After reading this thread, I decided to do a search on "Cherokee braids" and found this how-to video: http://www.vustv.com/53zZTmkfY-m8r HTH

When I had cornrows done she used fake hair from the beginning and after a week the front would lift up because I didn't have enought hair there to hold the braid. I think she did it this way because in that way I would have to come see her more often. I will never have it done that way again. They will have to start with my hair and then add the fake hair in the middle or end from now on.

Back