When I began my natural hair journey______

LucieLoo12

finish the sentence.

When I began my natural journey I told all my friends they needed to go natural :lol:.

When I began my natural hair journey I checked for new growth like every other day :look:

Whats yours?

Danewshe

.....I had extremely damaged relaxed hair

.....I left a bit of relaxed hair on at the front after I bc'ed, so that I could blend my half-wigs in a bit better. lol

virtuenow

When I began my natural journey, the stylist that helped w/the takedown/detangle of my long term micros said I should just cut it and wear natural. She could have been a hater for all I know, but I loved it. I was cutting scab hair just about every other week after that for the next year! Then I found out I just have a harder, coarser texture of hair

Philippians413

When I began my natural journey, I was a product junkie. Now that I've been on my journey for 3+ years, I'm still a product junkie.

msbettyboop

When I began my natural journey:-

• My entire nape was more or less bald.
  • I jumped on any bandwagon that stood still long enough for me to read a few reviews in a thread.
  • I measured my hair every few days :lachen:. Now I no longer care. As long as it's healthy, I'll catch it whenever it gets to wherever it's gonna get.
  • I wanted to go back in time and whoop the asses of every stylist that ever touched my hair.

diadall

I had to keep it a secret.

I told a few and all I would get were ignant questions.

The first time I wanted a professional wash/blowdry I went to JC Penny at lunch. I was about a year in.

The stylist told me I should get a relaxer. When I told her I was natural she said, no joke, "not everyone can go natural. I am tired of girls going natural and thinking they are going to look like that (points to poster of a white woman with curls). Your hair will not look like that."

I told her I know what my hair looks like. I was pissed because she had combed through my hair and it was all over my head. I had to restyle it in the car.

After she said that I didn't let her finish. I made some excuse about remembering a meeting.

Now I never let negative people do my hair.

MsLauren

When I began my natural hair journey...

[*] I was an extreme product junkie and it's only gotten worse.

[*] I checked for new growth and measured it everyday :lol:

[*] I had extreme moisture problems so I bought a steamer and never looked back!!!

[*] I quit using heat.

[*] I started wearing wigs to change up my style and to try new hair colors to keep from touching my own hair too much!

That's all I can think of right now!

diadall

MsLauren said:
When I began my natural hair journey...

[*] I was an extreme product junkie and it's only gotten worse.

[*] I checked for new growth and measured it everyday :lol:

[*] I had extreme moisture problems so I bought a steamer and never looked back!!!

[*] I quit using heat.

[*] I started wearing wigs to change up my style and to try new hair colors to keep from touching my own hair too much!

That's all I can think of right now!

Cosign on a recovering pj.

tdillz

.... I was scared to wear my twa, learned to love it and bragged about it all the time lol

kandake

I was 4 months into a 6 month relaxer stretch. I BC'd on a whim.
I co-washed everyday
I played in my hair all day
I felt so free
I fell in love with ecostyler gel
I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner

Last edited:

AfrikanRose

I had a 3" bald spot in the back of my head. I took out a ruler then I cried. My mother helped me cut off the rest of the dried up crusty ends. My NJ-DMV pic is the only evidence of my atrocity against my own scalp. 4 1/2 years later, I'm not doing too shabby. But, thankfully I am no longer length obsessed. It grows as it will.

southerncitygirl

it was traumatic! :( domincian blowouts jacked my hair up!

i felt ugly (i transitioned back in 01 or 02 and had to cut 6 inches due to ,heat damage, and breakage)

people treated me like ish cause my hair was natural

i was frustrated but determined to ride it out and i'm glad i did! :) now on to waistlength and out of being stuck at bsl.

lilyofthenile

When I began my natural hair journey, I thought that I was going to figure everything out and end up with good retention. I was very wrong.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
.... I fired my stylist because when I told her my plan of going natural, she responded by telling me that I was making a huge mistake and that "not everyone's grade :ohwell: of hair would grow if natural"
** People have always killed me w/ the hair "grades" talk. What the hell is that? You get grades in school not hair texture/type.. and her logic still has me puzzled

....My mom told me my hair would never grow back, and laughed out loud literally :yep:.. Years later, she decided to "do the natural thing" (this past fall)

-I wet my hair daily for the first time in my life and LOVED IT

Last edited:

Stormy

When I began my natural hair journey (for the second time) I walked into the natural hair care salon and took a deep breath as I sat down in a bald stylist's chair. I said shave it all off! But try and keep my scalp from showing.

I figured I might get some negative stares, but I didn't care. Surprisingly I got a lot of positive feedback!

I loved my shaved head soooo much, till I was thinking about keeping it like that! :yep:

As soon as I got half an inch I developed hand-in-hair disease really bad!

I subscribed to every Youtube channel I could think of!

I vowed not to EVER use direct heat until my 1 year anniversary.

Stormy

Also... I was surprised my 4B hair had curls. And... I noticed my hair seemed to grow faster when it was shaved vs. all other times.

Keishadt

It was out of pure laziness. I just got tired of relaxing my own hair, so I just kept stretching to see how long I could go. As it got easier, I decided to just transition, maybe about 3-4 months before I did... Just chopped a couple weeks ago.

I can't get my hands out of my freakin hair. I LOVE IT!

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
...I told/tell every one I knew/know to go natural :lol: (preached)
...I am a product junkie bandwagon fanatic (someone help me :perplexed)
...can't keep my hands out of my head :nono: (keep feeling and stroking it like it's gonna miracle grow itself over night)
...I have learnt a lot from you lovely ladies so far with more to come!

MarieB

I was very nervous and apprehensive after more than two decades on the creamy crack.

I am feeling better about my decision every day, though!

temfash

* It was a chance for a new beginning.
* I was looking forward to learning about my true texture.
* I needed a break my hairline was damaged and needed TLC
* I became a big time Product/information Junkie.

asha your twists looks so juicy in your siggy.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
...I decided to transition for almost 7 months before I did the big chop in May 2005. I had to do two big chops. With the first one, I started with 3-4 inches of hair. Then I let my mom press it with a stove hot comb which permanently damaged my hair. So I did a second big chop a couple of weeks later which left me with less than 1/2" of hair...

First BC:

Second BC: