Whats your fav Lustrasilk Cholesterol?

Nanyanika

I'm looking for a good cholesterol conditioner, i've heard so much mention of Lustrasilk and wanted to now which ones are you ladies using? and how it works on your hair? for those of you who have tried lekair cholesterol, which one gives better results? thanks in advance

miracle

I've used Lustrasilk Aloe, Lustrasilk Liquid Cholesterol and LeKair Aloe. Both of the Aloe formulas gave me about the same results. My hair came out soft, but it did have a tacky, coated feeling. The liquid cholesterol didn't leave my hair feeling as "gummy", but I ended up retiring all of them do to the mineral oil content. I now use either Miss Key 10 en 1, which to me conditions a lot like cholesterol conditioners (has the same consistency) or AB Organic's Cholesterol with Tea Tree Oil Original Formula. (The new formula contains mineral oil.)

Last edited:

Peachtree

Lustrasilk Aloe, luv it :cool: This is the only formula by Lustrasilk that i've tried.

I've tried Lekair (I think...it was yellow..kinda looked like pudding). That stuff was aweful :bark:

Brownie

I tried the Aloe one with okay results. I really, really like the one with Shea butter. The ingredients also include mango butter and aloe vera extract.

deedabug

i'm gonna keep an eye on this thread...

i have some lekair cholesterol mixed in a smidge of the dark n lovely dry hair healer with some other stuff(i recalled i still had some of this from den1's thread the other day lol)

and i have lekair cholesterol alone...im half done with the original jar...its the orange looking flavor...for some reason if i leave it on too long i get tangles and dryness...maybe i will need to switch after this jar is gone

gonna use my dry hair healer mix tonite for overnite conditiong with a jheri curl bag and scarf on my head...im tryna battle hot weather before it gets started good lol

Angelicus

None of them, and I can tell you why.

Back in the end of 2003, I loved the Lustrasilk Aloe conditioner because it provided me with slip, softness and sheen (reccomended by Peachtree herself). I loved using it for conditioner washes and deep conditioning alike. Loved it so much I only used it for "special ocassions." I didn't even care about the mineral oil content.

At the end of 2004 I purchased another jar of this stuff and noticed that it was a new formula... with new ingredients. My hair hated it. Left it coated, matted, tacky!

I sent some PM's to another member who loved, then hated Lustrasilk. I hated the new formula so much that I wanted to contact the owners of the company via email about it, but they didn't have any information on the jar about an email or web address. I just had to give them a piece of my mind :swearing: :whip: :mad:

So I did my research. I remembered that Lustrasilk was a subsidary of Gillette Company (the razor people, based in the US and the UK) so I went on Lexis-Nexis.com and looked up both of their financial/board of directors information. Found out that in the beginning of the 2004 fiscal year, they pretty much fired over 26 of the board of directors and 10 of their top chemists (that's why the formula changed). :(

So Den, if you buy the NEW formula and hate it, maybe you can look for the old one.

Sorry if I was so long-winded :grin:

miracle

deedabug said:

i have some lekair cholesterol mixed in a smidge of the dark n lovely dry hair healer with some other stuff(i recalled i still had some of this from den1's thread the other day lol)

and i have lekair cholesterol alone...im half done with the original jar...its the orange looking flavor...for some reason if i leave it on too long i get tangles and dryness...maybe i will need to switch after this jar is gone

gonna use my dry hair healer mix tonite for overnite conditiong with a jheri curl bag and scarf on my head...im tryna battle hot weather before it gets started good lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ "flavor"!!! I'm lovin' it, deedabug!!!!

Poobity

I just finished washing my hair, and I used Lustrasilk Herbal Cholesterol. I had a little Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep conditioner left, so I used that along with it. After I rinsed them out, my hair was extremely soft and easy to comb.

Last edited:

Peachtree

anky said:

Back in the end of 2003, I loved the Lustrasilk Aloe conditioner because it provided me with slip, softness and sheen (reccomended by Peachtree herself). I loved using it for conditioner washes and deep conditioning alike. Loved it so much I only used it for "special ocassions." I didn't even care about the mineral oil content.

At the end of 2004 I purchased another jar of this stuff and noticed that it was a new formula... with new ingredients. My hair hated it. Left it coated, matted, tacky!

I sent some PM's to another member who loved, then hated Lustrasilk. I hated the new formula so much that I wanted to contact the owners of the company via email about it, but they didn't have any information on the jar about an email or web address. I just had to give them a piece of my mind :swearing: :whip: :mad:

So I did my research. I remembered that Lustrasilk was a subsidary of Gillette Company (the razor people, based in the US and the UK) so I went on Lexis-Nexis.com and looked up both of their financial/board of directors information. Found out that in the beginning of the 2004 fiscal year, they pretty much fired over 26 of the board of directors and 10 of their top chemists (that's why the formula changed). :(

So Den, if you buy the NEW formula and hate it, maybe you can look for the old one.

I didn't know they changed (cheapened) the formula. I've always managed to find the same Aloe formula. Now when I go shopping for this, I'm gonna check the ingredients to make sure I'm purchasing the "original" formula.

Thanks for the info Anky :cool:

Nanyanika

Deedabug, please tell me how the lekair/dry hair healer works for your hair. For some reason my lekair is also leaving my hair drier, I’m wondering whether I should mix the two cholesterols together.

deedabug said:

Nanyanika

Anky thanks for the info, you sound pretted pee’d off with the new formula, bwoy I don’t even know whether I’ll try it now because your post reminds of the time I used Hollywood olive oil cholesterol and it really messed up my hair badly, I still haven’t recovered from this mental trauma lol.

anky said:

Nanyanika

So would you ladies say its best to mix the lustrasilk cholesterol with another,,,or add extra oils, milk, eggs to ensure softness.

deedabug

den1 said:
Deedabug, please tell me how the lekair/dry hair healer works for your hair. For some reason my lekair is also leaving my hair drier, I’m wondering whether I should mix the two cholesterols together.

it turned out well...it was on over 12 hours under the jheri curl bag and scarf lol...i think i will keep mixing it like that from now own....i had the smidge of dry hair healer left over the lekair cholestoral, olive oil, melted cocoa butter, some honey and glycerin and i slapped on some suave humectant so i coudl braid it up in some ragged cornrows...i think that cut on the tangles too ;) its not that hard after i washed it out like it is with the lekair alone

CheerBear

On my hair, Lekair is just pure TRASH...the lustrasilk Aloe worked great on my hair before they changed the formula. Now, IMHO, the ABSOLUTE BEST cholesterol is the Lustrasilk Placenta and Jojoba. It leaves your hair very soft, shiny and strong. It detangles really well also.
I typically mix it with EVOO and leave it on under a plastic cap for about 30-45 minutes and that gives great results. One day I did leave it on for a bit over an hour and it made my hair hard...guess because of the placenta...but for anyone interested, here are the ingredients :

Water,Glyceral Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60,Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cholesterol, Placental Protein,Jojoba Oil, Silk Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Vitamen E Acetate,....and that other stuff I dont feel like typing that all cholesterol has at the bottom of the ingredient list

Nanyanika

Thanks, i'm gonna try that this week!!!I've already mixed up my conditioners.

deedabug said:
it turned out well...it was on over 12 hours under the jheri curl bag and scarf lol...i think i will keep mixing it like that from now own....i had the smidge of dry hair healer left over the lekair cholestoral, olive oil, melted cocoa butter, some honey and glycerin and i slapped on some suave humectant so i coudl braid it up in some ragged cornrows...i think that cut on the tangles too ;) its not that hard after i washed it out like it is with the lekair alone

Nanyanika

Ha Ha, you made my laugh when i read "Lekair is just pure TRASH" that's exactly how a Jamaican person would say it in their dialect. Thanks for having the energy to list the ingredients.

CheerBear said:
On my hair, Lekair is just pure TRASH...the lustrasilk Aloe worked great on my hair before they changed the formula. Now, IMHO, the ABSOLUTE BEST cholesterol is the Lustrasilk Placenta and Jojoba. It leaves your hair very soft, shiny and strong. It detangles really well also.
I typically mix it with EVOO and leave it on under a plastic cap for about 30-45 minutes and that gives great results. One day I did leave it on for a bit over an hour and it made my hair hard...guess because of the placenta...but for anyone interested, here are the ingredients :

Water,Glyceral Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60,Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cholesterol, Placental Protein,Jojoba Oil, Silk Amino Acids, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Vitamen E Acetate,....and that other stuff I dont feel like typing that all cholesterol has at the bottom of the ingredient list

Chivara

I've only tried Tea Tree and Herbal. They both are about the same, except for the Herbal kind smells like barf (maybe it's just me :confused: ). I want to try the Placenta and Shea Butter ones.

chicamorena

I really like the new shea butter and mango Lutrasilk. I used it this past weekend and it worked really well on my 10 weeks of new growth. It's actually on sale this month at Sally's for .99.

candita

I use the tea tree oil formula. It moisturizes well, but than that it soothes my scalp, as it sometimes gets irritated with me and my product regime. :) It leaves my scalp feeling nice and refreshed so I would highly suggest it if you have irritation.

I just bought the shea butter/mango formula this weekend. Can't wait to try it.

mochamadness

Going the Distance
I've tried the tea tree formula last week and it left my hair so silky and soft. IMHO lekair's cholesterol doesn't even compare to lustrasilk.