What's Your Definition of Natural?

LadyKaypnyc

Someone sent me a message on Youtube a while back asking me how can I call myself natural, when I use UNNATURAL hair products in my hair:rolleyes:

We later hooked up on AIM :arguing: where I quickly learned that she was honestly confused and slightly brainwashed:drunk:. According to her mother, one can only be natural if they adopt a holistic of natural hair...

So if you color your hair (semi/demi/permanent), wear extensions, and/or use products that don't have natural ingredients, YOU ARE NOT NATURAL...:shocked:

Anyway, I explained to her that I am natural because I don't use chemicals to change the texture of my hair...she was a very sweet girl, who wanted to experiment with her natural hair, but she was afraid of disappointing her mom.

In my opinion, natural hair is free of any chemicals that changes its texture. I may even go so far as to say that weaves are unnatural, so if you're rocking a weave, you have temporarily lost your natural status:lachen::lachen: I'm only half joking:spinning::lachen:

So I'm curious to know, what is your definition of natural (hair)?:feedback:

Damn...:wallbash:
If you use chemicals to alter the texture of your hair in any way, you are not natural I don't care how "natural" a person think it looks, it ain't natural. :rolleyes: No texlax, texturizers, jerri curls, relaxers left on for 30 seconds or whatever :lachen:
By her definition, there aren't too many naturals out there because most of us use at least one commercially made product on our hair.
So, in my opinion, your definition is right and hopefully, someone else will cosign on it.
If not :pop:

Part of me wants to say that if you dont have a relaxer/texturizer, you're natural. But another, smaller, part of me sets the threshold higher and says that you are only TRULY natural if you dont use anything that alters your natural texture.

Shampoos and conditioners, whether organic or sulfate and silicon laden, can alter the texture of your hair. Same goes for moisturizers, et cetera. With that extreme definition of "natural," most "naturals" would be excluded. So for practical purposes, I go with my first definition- relaxer/texturizer free.

Shampoos and conditioners, whether organic or sulfate and silicon laden, can alter the texture of your hair. Same goes for moisturizers, et cetera. With that extreme definition of "natural," most "naturals" would be excluded. So for practical purposes, I go with my first definition- relaxer/texturizer free.

Well, most people don't go looking for a shampoo or conditioner or moisturizer to alter the texture of their hair where the same cannot be said for someone that uses the "creamy crack" in any form so I don't see how that matters.:nono:

Well, most people don't go looking for a shampoo or conditioner or moisturizer to alter the texture of their hair where the same cannot be said for someone that uses the "creamy crack" in any form so I don't see how that matters.:nono:

Can you honestly say that most people on this hairboard, or in general, dont go looking for shampoos/conditioners/moisturizers to bring out curl definition? To tame frizz? Etc...

my def -no perm no color (henna is a gray area) - weaves/wigs/braids/natural products don't make a difference

with that said, you can tie a bow around your waist and call yourself a present if you want to. point being if you wanna call yourself natural, call yourself natural.

Can you honestly say that most people on this hairboard, or in general, dont go looking for shampoos/conditioners/moisturizers to bring out curl definition? To tame frizz? Etc...

I am referring to making it straight is what I am talking about :yep:

Last edited:
I am referring to making it straight is what I am talking about :yep:

Both are methods employed to make the hair do something it doesnt naturally do. That is my point.

If someone's hair was naturally (in the purest sense of the word) full of ringlets, a product would not be needed to make those ringlets happen. Water would be enough.

So this is why these products matter- despite the fact that the arent "creamy crack."

Amen to what the OP, NaturalgalAZ and JCoily said. Curl definition, pressed hair are all still natural to me. Curl definition using product to me is no different from wearing twist-outs and braid-outs. You aren't breaking any bonds in the chemical structure of the hair. Once you wash it, it returns to its normal state. That's what natural hair is.

Natural is no chemical alteration at all, which is my goal right now. Relaxer certainly changes the texture of my hair, but so does hair coloring.

Oh yes and no weaves, wigs...

I don't know. I go back and forth over this myself.
Am I still natural, even when I use henna, which I know, for me, makes my hair straighter? Am I still natural, when I use the Caramel treatment, and it makes my curls looser? I mean, yeah, they aren't "chemicals", but they are altering the texture of my hair.
I can't even pull the 'It's only not-natural if it's permanent' option, because I don't know if the changes from the 'natural' stuff will be permanent - they could be.

At the same time, I would feel VERY silly calling myself anything BUT natural.

So, I prefer to leave the definition up to the person under the hair. I must admit, I appreciate knowing if you consider yourself natural, but put in a mild relaxer for 3 minutes every six months. I'm not going to argue you down on your definition of natural - but I'll know that how you treat your 'natural' hair might not work the same on my 'natural' hair.

I dunno. In order to be a 'pure' natural, you couldn't use anything but water on your hair, more or less - everything we use shifts and changes our texture - at least a little bit.

I dunno.

Amen to what the OP, NaturalgalAZ and JCoily said. Curl definition, pressed hair are all still natural to me. Curl definition using product to me is no different from wearing twist-outs and braid-outs. You aren't breaking any bonds in the chemical structure of the hair. Once you wash it, it returns to its normal state. That's what natural hair is.

I have really been playing devil's advocate in this thread, but I have to say something about pressed hair. Pressing the hair CAN noticeably break down the bonds of the hair over time. I still consider it natural, though. As I do conditioners, braid-outs, etc.

I don't know. I go back and forth over this myself.
Am I still natural, even when I use henna, which I know, for me, makes my hair straighter? Am I still natural, when I use the Caramel treatment, and it makes my curls looser? I mean, yeah, they aren't "chemicals", but they are altering the texture of my hair.
I can't even pull the 'It's only not-natural if it's permanent' option, because I don't know if the changes from the 'natural' stuff will be permanent - they could be.

At the same time, I would feel VERY silly calling myself anything BUT natural.

So, I prefer to leave the definition up to the person under the hair. I must admit, I appreciate knowing if you consider yourself natural, but put in a mild relaxer for 3 minutes every six months. I'm not going to argue you down on your definition of natural - but I'll know that how you treat your 'natural' hair might not work the same on my 'natural' hair.

I dunno. In order to be a 'pure' natural, you couldn't use anything but water on your hair, more or less - everything we use shifts and changes our texture - at least a little bit.

I dunno.

We are definitely on the same page. :yep:

Both are methods employed to make the hair do something it doesnt naturally do. That is my point.

If someone's hair was naturally (in the purest sense of the word) full of ringlets, a product would not be needed to make those ringlets happen. Water would be enough.

So this is why these products matter- despite the fact that the arent "creamy crack."

I don't think products matter, my hair does curl naturally, but it is also extremely frizzy. Most products that I use are to TAME, NOT ALTER my natural texture.

Natural is no chemical alteration at all, which is my goal right now. Relaxer certainly changes the texture of my hair, but so does hair coloring.

Oh yes and no weaves, wigs...

I color my hair and it in no way changes my natural texture...AT ALL. It makes a dry, but not straighter, nor does it loosen my curl pattern. :nono:

I color my hair and it in no way changes my natural texture...AT ALL. It makes a dry, but not straighter, nor does it loosen my curl pattern. :nono:

Interesting. It does for me though. Maybe my hair isn't as resilient to certain chemicals. It definitely loosened my curl pattern, and I only colored it once.

Co-signing:yep:

No relaxers, texturizers, curly perms= NOT natural. Colors, braids and weaves=still natural

THE END

Someone sent me a message on Youtube a while back asking me how can I call myself natural, when I use UNNATURAL hair products in my hair:rolleyes:

We later hooked up on AIM :arguing: where I quickly learned that she was honestly confused and slightly brainwashed:drunk:. According to her mother, one can only be natural if they adopt a holistic of natural hair...

So if you color your hair (semi/demi/permanent), wear extensions, and/or use products that don't have natural ingredients, YOU ARE NOT NATURAL...:shocked:

Anyway, I explained to her that I am natural because I don't use chemicals to change the texture of my hair...she was a very sweet girl, who wanted to experiment with her natural hair, but she was afraid of disappointing her mom.

In my opinion, natural hair is free of any chemicals that changes its texture. I may even go so far as to say that weaves are unnatural, so if you're rocking a weave, you have temporarily lost your natural status:lachen::lachen: I'm only half joking:spinning::lachen:

Hello--coming out of lurkdom, to post in this thread to let you know how much I liked your youtube.com video. I had no idea when I watched it, I was watching a member of this forum!

You made me laugh out loud while watching! Thanks for sharing your experience with the curlformers, it was kind of you to do that.

Back to this thread--totally agree with what's been said here. This is how I define "natural."

Ok, back to lurk mode for me. :hiya: Bye-now.

Hello--coming out of lurkdom, to post in this thread to let you know how much I liked your youtube.com video. I had no idea when I watched it, I was watching a member of this forum!

You made me laugh out loud while watching! Thanks for sharing your experience with the curlformers, it was kind of you to do that.

Back to this thread--totally agree with what's been said here. This is how I define "natural."

Ok, back to lurk mode for me. :hiya: Bye-now.

Hey girl! Thank you so much for watching my vids:blush:

I bug out sometimes on those darn things, glad to know you don't think I'm a complete weirdo:lachen:

The bolded is also my definition of *natural*. :yep:

*smh* @ that girl's mother. i hate it when people adopt that smug and elitist attitude when it comes to natural hair. when some people say you're no longer natural because you colour your hair i just :rolleyes:.

my definition of natural is the same as yours.

I would generally agree with the OP's description of what is "natural" ie no CHEMICAL that changes your hair texture PERMANENTLY.

The rest of it is just over-thinking/ overstating the whole thing:rolleyes:

My hair is very slightly texlaxed AND coloured and though I do not say I am natural, I do rely on natural hair threads and practices to maintain my hair since my hair behaves more like natural than fully relaxed.

Next thing you'll be unnatural for breathing "city air" with all the chemicals in it:yawn:

I say anything that does not permanently alter your hair. For example, braidouts, twistouts, products that "define your curls" etc. aren't permanent. To me straightening and/or color only counts if your hair doesn't go back to it's naturally nappy/curly state. Think about it some folks end up with heat damage and have to big chop again or wear their hair pressed all the time. Why? Because their hair no longer has that natural curl pattern and they can't get the fro back. It's not a dig at women who press their hair. It is what it is.

But like JCoily said, call yourself what you want. I'm not trying to bust a blood vessel trying to tell some folks they are or are not natural.

I say anything that does not permanently alter your hair. For example, braidouts, twistouts, products that "define your curls" etc. aren't permanent. To me straightening and/or color only counts if your hair doesn't go back to it's naturally nappy/curly state. Think about it some folks end up with heat damage and have to big chop again or wear their hair pressed all the time. Why? Because their hair no longer has that natural curl pattern and they can't get the fro back. It's not a dig at women who press their hair. It is what it is.

But like JCoily said, call yourself what you want. I'm not trying to bust a blood vessel trying to tell some folks they are or are not natural.

this is where i stand also.

geebus yall................according to some of these definitions, even the nattiest of dreads would not be considered to be natural hair. <--- yall got dat, i'm not gonna be The One (because my name is not Morpheus and i don't live in The Matrix) to break it down to 'em that they ain't natural :lachen:)

psst: yall be sure to warn me when you do tell them, ya hear? I'll need to be several hundred miles away from there with da quickness. :lachen::lachen:

Carry on peeps!

Last edited:
If your hair is natural then you haven't done anything that permanently alters it. This includes texlaxing, and color.

Damn...:wallbash:
If you use chemicals to alter the texture of your hair in any way, you are not natural I don't care how "natural" a person think it looks, it ain't natural. :rolleyes: No texlax, texturizers, jerri curls, relaxers left on for 30 seconds or whatever :lachen:
By her definition, there aren't too many naturals out there because most of us use at least one commercially made product on our hair.
So, in my opinion, your definition is right and hopefully, someone else will cosign on it.
If not :pop:

I don't think anyone that does those these considers themselves natural. If they do it may be because they don't know the facts.

I also agree with your definition of natural. I do feel that someone is still technically natural (in the way of the relaxed/natural difference) if she colors her hair. It is not natural in the real since, but her hair is still not relaxed and her cuticles are intact.

*smh* @ that girl's mother. i hate it when people adopt that smug and elitist attitude when it comes to natural hair. when some people say you're no longer natural because you colour your hair i just :rolleyes:.

my definition of natural is the same as yours.

Why? Everyone's hair is not the same. The texture of my hair does change when it has color in it. Why assume that it is a smug and elitist attitude? *smh* Not to mention, I tell people that jet black isn't my natural hair color, just as I say that texture of my hair is not naturally how most of it is it is now. Maybe I'm different...

Back