What's Wrong With My Hair?!

NegritaMuneca

Hello all!

I have recently decided to go natural, only because it seems as though I don't even need a relaxer anymore. Now, understand, I am 21 years old, and I have consecutively applied relaxers into my hair since I was six years old. I used to have the kinkiest of hair textures, and suddenly, my hair is growing straight! :shocked:

What's going on?!
Can your hair texture change over time?
How long can I go without doing a bc?
Will my hair break off if I continue to decide to go natural?!

I need your help!

Ms.Christ3n

Hair texture can definitely change over time. It usually goes from silky to kinky to back to silky (at least in my family).
You can go as long as you want without doing the BC. You can wait until you get to a comfortable length to cut your relaxed ends off. The longest I've heard someone transitioning is 2 years and 3 months and her natural hair was BSL.
You may experience some breakage during the transition, you just have to remember to be very gentle and patient with your hair. Try low manipulation styles ( like braids, twists, or buns) to ease the manipulation of your line of demarcation. That is where the relaxed hair meets the natural hair and is the where most ladies experience breakage throughout their transition. Keeping your moisture/protein balance in check will help a lot with this.
I hope that helped you! I'm pretty sure others will chime in soon to help you more!

ms.blue

it could be from years of relaxing that has caused the hair grow in straight. You may need to grow your hair a couple of inches for the texture to come in or it could be the weight of the relax hair causing the new growth to appear. The only sure fire way to see the actual hairtype is to cut the relax hair off.

aquajoyice

It could be "scab Hair" I'm not an expert on this, but have heard women talk about it. After relaxing so long your new growth has a different texture, it's supposedly not permanent and will grow out with time. You may want to look into and see if your new growth falls under this category.