What's the difference between Texlaxing and Relaxing?

seraphim712

I know this question may have been asked before, but I couldn't find it on the forum.

I would like to know the difference between texlaxing the hair and relaxing it. I'm just curious since notice that many natural hair ladies say that they texlax their hair so that detangling it can be easier.

I also ask this question so that I can decide whether or not if I want to fully relax my hair, texlax my hair, or just simply keep it natural. Much advice will be appreciated.

Thann

BUMP.....

From what I've read it's just not alllowing your relaxer to fully process so that the hair is somewhat chemically processed, but not relaxed to the point of being bone-straight. I'm not sure if tex-laxed people still consider themselves natural, but this is just my understanding. I've read that people only allow the relaxer to process for about 8-10 minutes, but I still would not consider them natural anymore b/c they are in fact processed. Just my opinion.

HoneyDew

Yeah, you can't be texlaxed and consider yourself natural.

I have hair that is relaxed bone straight at the ends and relaxed just to texturize for the rest.

My texlaxed hair is wavy and can be frizzy. It is also very thick and the elasticity is ideal. My hair that is relaxed bone straight seems to be weaker and there is hardly any elasticity at all.

It's a love hate relationship.

I like that my bone straight ends don't need heat to get straight at all. But, I struggle with the weakness of it. I look forward to clipping away those ends as I get more length.

C

chica_canella

Telaxed is relaxing only about 50% or more. I don't think anything more than 80% is telaxing. Relaxing is bone straight.

Telaxing is so that the cortex of your hair won't be completely broken down or restructured. It is best IMO because you still have some texture and when you are bone straight you can't make a chance of overlapping.

when you are telaxed you may be able to get away with it slightly because your demarcation line isn't completely broken down.

seraphim712

Thank you for the information.

Now I have to decide whether I would like to texlax my hair or let it remain natural.

Eisani

I have been texlaxing for the past two years and definitely don't consider myself natural. My processing time however is 7 minutes MAX but I normally only do 5 minutes and I don't comb it. With texlaxing I have the option of wearing my hair straight or curly and that's what I like most about it.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
To me, texlaxing is like the best of both worlds. I can have a proper wash n go, with curls and all, and much of my hair's thickness is maintained. My hair also straightens very easily and I can wear straight or set styles like a fully relaxed head. My hair is fine though so I'm not sure if coarse hair will straighten as easily.

cocoberry10

I have been texlaxing for the past two years and definitely don't consider myself natural. My processing time however is 7 minutes MAX but I normally only do 5 minutes and I don't comb it. With texlaxing I have the option of wearing my hair straight or curly and that's what I like most about it.

I agree with this!

sareca

I think of it as

relaxed = straight when wet and straight when airdried
texlaxed = wavy when wet and wavy/curly when airdried
texturized = wavy/curly when wet and afro when airdried :lachen:

None of these are natural, but I do love foolin' people.

seraphim712

I've decided then that I will texlax my hair. I'm glad that I don't have to relax my hair bone straight because I came a long way from that. I want the best of both worlds and have a different way to style my hair. Thanks for all the info. I'm also happy that someone made a Texlaxing thread too. That helped alot as well. I will take pictures as soon as I texlax.