What's the best way to get rid of a Jheri Curl?

lisatamika

What\'s the best way to get rid of a Jheri Curl?

Yes, unfortunately, I did say Jheri Curl. My sister-in-law has one and she desperately wants to get rid of it. What's the best way to do it? Can it just be blown out and then relaxed when the new growth comes in? PLEASE HELP!!!!

alibi

hair bored
Re: What\'s the best way to get rid of a Jheri Curl?

No, you should NEVER NEVER NEVER put a relaxer over a jheri curl, not even the new growth!!! /images/graemlins/naughty.gif The chemical used in a jheri curl is called ammonium thioglycolate, and when you put a relaxer on top of it, which is sodium or calcium hydroxide, it's like cutting the hair with scissors! TRUST ME, it will break her hair out! The best thing for her to do it either get braids or a weave until she has enough new growth to cut it off, or do buns or something with her own hair until she can cut out the curl and start over. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts

ayanna summed it up but in the meanwhile she can wash and blowdry and style the way you would a wave nouveau or perm

she has to either cut at once or transition out of the curl

kinikini2

I've missed LHCF!

Braids, braids, braids.. best way out.. to give the hair a break from chemicals, and a chance to grow. The processed hair can be cut off bit by bit, as the owner desires.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

I beg to differ on the relaxer over the jheri curl hair. I had a jheri curl and when I got rid of it that is exactly what I did. I put a relaxer over it! Yes it did break a little but back then I knew nothing off deep conditioning and giving tlc to my hair.

I wound up losing only a minimun amount of hair and retaining most of my length. Maybe I was just lucky but my jheri curl hair had grown to shoulder length and I ended up with shoulder length hair when I relaxed over it!!

Good Luck whatever you all decide. You don't have to do as I did. I just wanted to share my success story.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..

I have to 2nd that DSD.

I had a curl from the ages 12-15. I never really took care of my own hair. I remember that we didn't use the curl activator as much and then my aunt stopped getting the curl one day. We just went to a Dark'n Lovely/Soft 'n Free type box relaxer and I don't remember any horrible, embarrassing hair situations like breakage or baldness.

To be honest we went from, Relaxer to curl to relaxer. I was told I had a Designer Touch which meant I could go either way??? Wear it curly or straight w/out any problems....Has anyone ever heard that?

However, my hair retained length with the curl though..... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

~op~

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"

I went from a wave nouveau to a relaxer and at the time I didn't have major issues, but my hair began to break and thin out pretty badly, which lead to me braiding it for 2 years and I put it back to w/n and my hair was thick again.

Of course, now i've paid the price for all that stress.

I'd suggest she transitions for a year or so.

x

carletta

Oooo, I remember having this nightnare! When I had mine back in the day 8th grade. my hair grew out alot, past my shoulders and my mom was ready for my hair to be natural again so we thought we would "just let it grow out". WRONG! my hair broke off down to 3 in. long /images/graemlins/cry3.gif we had to cut the rest out. ( BACK TO THE POINT SHE SHOULD CUT IT ALL OUT! 2 CHEM. TOGETHER=DISASTER! )

DigitalRain

I've never known anyone hair to survive a relaxer application over a curl. It even tells you on the box that these two chemicals do not mix. My advice is to tell her to be safe than sorry and transition out of the curl and/or cut the curl out.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I was able to transfer safely from curl to relaxer by using New Era Gel Relaxer. The product is not thio based, it gives specific instructions to follow- so pls be careful when using. This relaxer is heat activated by a bonnet dryer. It has a very low ph scale, so u don't have to panic. It will put yr hair back in the state where u can relax safely..... if u notice i keep saying safely it is because it is not a good idea to put a realxer over a curl. hope this advice helps anyone in need.

GoingBack

dontspeakdefeat said:
I beg to differ on the relaxer over the jheri curl hair. I had a jheri curl and when I got rid of it that is exactly what I did. I put a relaxer over it! Yes it did break a little but back then I knew nothing off deep conditioning and giving tlc to my hair.

I wound up losing only a minimun amount of hair and retaining most of my length. Maybe I was just lucky but my jheri curl hair had grown to shoulder length and I ended up with shoulder length hair when I relaxed over it!!

Good Luck whatever you all decide. You don't have to do as I did. I just wanted to share my success story.

I agree with you DSD. I too put a relaxer over my curl and had no adverse effects.