Return of the jheri curl

MsSanz92

i actually think "temporary straighteners" will be the rage. its already starting now and as time passes i can see more sophisticated formulations to come

IA. I think starting with the popularity of BKTs a couple years back and now with Design Essentials Strengthening System and the CHI Enviro Smoothing Treatment, Amino acid based systems will be the new rage. Granted, I see more naturals getting these treatments as they become less expensive and accessible (sold OTC in BSS/Target/Walmart/etc.) to mimic having "good hurr" :lachen:

KaramelDiva1978

I went to the salon yesterday and in regular conversation my stylist said this. He said the chemical will be different and very little if any, but because jheri juice wearers could keep their hair moist and grow it to the middle of their backs it will make a return. He said many people think their hair doesn't grow because it pops off due to the dryness of it and with the "natural" rush people will be more open to it. So imagine my shock seeing this thread :shocked::shocked:!!! I think its true!

CurlsBazillion

@ OP you must be afrodamus! Natural ain't for everyone, not all of us actually love it but just want the style so yeah, I can see the curl coming back in full effect minus the juice. And yeah, people will front, its in some people's nature to front. They will front and say their weave is theirs so why not claim the curl as their natural hair? By the way this http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/lashypooh/touchup003.jpg ain't cute at all, not as a permanent curl, her roots won't stay her roots forever and its just gonna look weird being looser than the rest.

candy626

I hope it doesn't come back....back in the day jherri curls were a greasy drippy mess.

From time to time I meet older women who said they had a jherri curl. They claimed their hair was so long and healthy. In the back of my mind I'm always like yea...right...

I don't know about the jherri curl, but other thio based straighteners and curl looseners do seem to produce good results on black hair. I could see them becoming more popular..however so many black women have hair that has been treated with hydroxide relaxers, which can never be overlapped with thio products...so idk, their popularity would be limited.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I think this thread is funny. Ya'll laugh about the "juice", but so many use it without the jheri curl. Heck, it helps hair to grow and does some amazing things for my ends and edges. I say, who needs the curl when you still use the juice?:lol:

Blyss_curls

I think this thread is funny. Ya'll laugh about the "juice", but so many use it without the jheri curl. Heck, it helps hair to grow and does some amazing things for my ends and edges. I say, who needs the curl when you still use the juice?:lol:

I recall the earliest incarnation of Naturallycurly.com. I also remember something many would not admit to today, which was how many of the curly haired women (of all ethnic backgrounds) found their way to "ethnic" aisles in beauty supply stores, in search of "curl activator."

I recall many saying that it worked well to keep their curls soft and moisturized. This was years before ANYONE had created ANY items specifically for curls (i.e. Curl Junkie, Qhemet curls, Deva, Wen, Kinkycurly, etc.). Back then, curl activator and some of the products made specifically for us--were the only things available for ANY curls.

BadMamaJama

LOL! Too funny! I was actually spraying my hair last week with my Care Free Curl and I started laughing out loud because I used to do that before when I had my curl in high school!

flowinlocks

brittle_hair;16639683[B said:
]If so many people say the jheri curl/wave nouveau grew their hair (and it makes sense why it does) then why isn't everyone here jumping on the band wagon?[/B] Cant be any worse than MN or horse shampoo in your hair - as far as im concerned, the modern day curl needs to come back in fashion, cos it means seeing fewer ashy, dry broken heads of hair around town, and to be fair i reckon it would look quite good on bsl or beyond hair...!

If memory serves me correctly it was just leased hair. :lol: Sadly many ppl experienced breakage from the chemical once they stop wearing their hair moist. I know ladies that tried to blow dry and curl till it grew out, but the hair broke severely from lack of moisture. :nono: Not to mention the ppl who thought they could "relax" the curls away. Another disaster leaving droves of ppl bald. Without proper education on maintaining the length they had achieved many went back to short hair either from breakage, or to cut the curl out and start over.

My whole family had curls except me. :lol: Even my best friend and her sis. I remember HATING theirs though, not because of the juice but because they had HUGE dandruff flakes that stuck in the sticky curls from not shampooing. :barf: The thing was building up the moisture. (hence everyone walking around with the dreaded plastic caps.) If the hair was shampooed it would look dry for week or longer till the desired "wet" look was achieved. Too bad they didn't know about cowashing instead back then.

When I was in the shop in the 90s several of my clients were still wearing the curl but many had switched to a Wave Nouve. My mom, sis, and brother included. Same chemical but I would use larger rods to set the hair. The result would be more off a loose wave than an actual curl. I also remember that their maintenance products didn't leave the hair looking wet. More like soft moist waves. Yeah I can TOTALLY see this coming back if they could get rid of the drip. :yep:

getoffmylawn

Older ladies down South I believe still wear jheri curls. You will occasionally see a 50+ yr old woman with wet hair and liquid running down their necks.

yorkpatties

Texturizers(weak relaxers) and Curls are not the same. They use different chemicals and perform different tasks. Texturizers(lithium, sodium, calcium or potassium hydroxide) loosen the existing curl pattern, the do not create curls. Curls(thioglycolate) use a multi step process to break down the bonds of the hair and then the bonds are set and restructured on rollers thus creating curls.

They might not be the same but I've seen texlaxed/texturized ladies on this board who look like they may have well went and got a jherri curl. The look reminds me of my friends in kindergarden, no matter what they call it.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
How many of us were on the juice challenge? I'm telling you, juice is NOT the enemy!:eyebrows2:lol: I'm using it to stretch my relaxers! LOJ - water=liquid, oil of my choice, and the juice of all juices... S curl! Then I bun my hair. I'm telling you, my hair is well moisturized and I retain my growth!

Cocoeuro

dyh080 said:
I predict the return of the jheri curl. It will probably make a return in less than 2 years.
--- Maybe under a new name but the same curl. It may be manufactured by some big name black owned company who tried to enter the now crowded "natural products market".
---No, it will not be the same as what is currently on the market, such as Wave Nouveau, texturizer, etc.

I also predict that most ( but not all)people getting this new curl will be those who have been natural for less than 5 years and struggling to define their curls.

In addition, I predict that said people will still claim to be natural.

By the way, there are already people who big chop only so that they can get a curly look via texturizing.

Call me crazy( won't be the first time,lol) but I am simply expressing my predictions.

oh nooooooo, not the scary curl...

candycan

:blush:Personally sometimes I think having a wash n go is like having a curl. It starts out wet, juicy and a little oily and sometimes when I'm rushing and don't have to let it sufficiently dry, yeah i admit, its dripping down my neck:blush::lachen:So sometimes as a natural girl i feel like one of "Jherri's kids" :perplexed

BraunSugar

:blush:Personally sometimes I think having a wash n go is like having a curl. It starts out wet, juicy and a little oily and sometimes when I'm rushing and don't have to let it sufficiently dry, yeah i admit, its dripping down my neck:blush::lachen:So sometimes as a natural girl i feel like one of "Jherri's kids" :perplexed

This is exactly why I diffuse at least a good 10 minutes before leaving the house if I don't have time to let it air dry :lol:. You won't catch me outside looking like this:

DaiseeDay

candycan said:

Yepp me too, but I've started applying products to damp hair instead of soaking wet and it works 1000x better.

Oh yeah this is coming back guys - I'm sure after watching this commercial everyone will be dying to go out and get one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvOgL3z20lE

snillohsss

I have 3c hair and nothing about my hair is see through thin or silky :look:. It's bushy as hell and thick/very cottony. The only thing that differentiates me from a person with cottony/thick type 4 hair is the fact that my curls are substantially bigger..which is what I thought the type xyz curl category or lack there of was based on. :confused: ...in fact ive seen plenty of individuals with 4a hair that is thinner than mine and actually silkier. So when people say they don't get excited about type 3 hair I get it but the reasoning why confuses me.

Same here, mine is super thick. I could pick it out and have a HUGE fro.

NaturalPath

How many of us were on the juice challenge? I'm telling you, juice is NOT the enemy!:eyebrows2:lol: I'm using it to stretch my relaxers! LOJ - water=liquid, oil of my choice, and the juice of all juices... S curl! Then I bun my hair. I'm telling you, my hair is well moisturized and I retain my growth!

Maybe I didnt juice right lol, but the only thing it ever did for my hair was make it dry, crispy and sticky :perplexed

OT: meh, I think ALL hair types are beautiful. There are days when I wish I was a type 4 due to the versatility compared to my own hair texture; however although I wish my hair was more dense, more cottony and bushy....the grass is never greener on the other side so I take it as is one day at a time.