What's the best box relaxer?

NYCQT16

Natural Again
I did a search for Box Perm, Box Relaxer and I cannot find it. I did find relaxers that people favor, but they are the ones that come in the big tubs and you have to buy the other stuff separately.

So please tell me, what is the best box relaxers (perms)?
I plan to self-relax Friday using all the tips I've seen up here

baglady215

Do you mean Box relaxer as in kit? With everything in it? Those are no-lye relaxers. When I was no-lye, the best I've used was TCB Naturals. Precise was good too. If you want lye (no-base), you can buy the relaxer (small jar) and then the poo, conditioner, etc. separately.

miracle

I liked using the Soft & Beautiful Relaxer Kit in the past. It was the only no-lye relaxer that I've ever used that gave me silky, long lasting results.

Last edited:

NYCQT16

Natural Again
baglady215 said:
Do you mean Box relaxer as in kit? With everything in it? Those are no-lye relaxers. When I was no-lye, the best I've used was TCB Naturals. Precise was good too. If you want lye (no-base), you can buy the relaxer (small jar) and then the poo, conditioner, etc. separately.

Yes...I guess I should've looked up relaxer kit...duh on me, I didn't even think of callin it that :lol:

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
Haven't used a boxed relaxer in several years. I used Revlon lye for a while and have purchased it in a boxed kit, but it became difficult to find, so I started buying the items separately. I use Motions Oil lye relaxer now though.

When I was using no lye relaxers, Soft & Beautiful and Gentle Treatment were my absolute favorites.

nicki6

CurlyCrly said:
Haven't used a boxed relaxer in several years. I used Revlon lye for a while and have purchased it in a boxed kit, but it became difficult to find, so I started buying the items separately. I use Motions Oil lye relaxer now though.

When I was using no lye relaxers, Soft & Beautiful and Gentle Treatment were my absolute favorites.

Cosigning Soft and Beautiful no -lye. I am very pleased with the results.

Peachtree

When I used to relax, my fav box'd perm was "Optimum No Lye Regular". I also used "Luster's Pink No Lye Regular". I used them both for 18 (or so) yrs... Optimum was my fav :cool:

BobbieDoll

miracle said:
I liked using the Soft & Beautiful Relaxer Kit in the past. It was the only no-lye relaxer that I've ever used that gave me silky, long lasting results.

Same here. I loved the results with Soft and Beautiful.

Porsche19

I use PCJ lye.

I love it, I'm alsways raving about it.

They also have a no-lye version if that's what you're looking for.

_lovelyness

I've used Revlon, dark & lovely, optimum care.
The best results were with D&L. That's the one I use most of the time.
The 2 others left my hair feeling dry.
I recently tried ORS Olive oil relaxer !!! It was the first time AND LAST TIME !!

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
PCJ Original, which is the lye version or Vitale Mo body. Mo body now has a no-lye version too but the lye ones you dont have to mix so you can save the leftover for your next retouch if need be and the lye versions are supposed to do less damage to your hair. Its the full kit, relaxer, shampoo, conditioner. And cheap....you can usually get them for 5 bucks, 6 at the most.

NYCQT16

Natural Again
Thanks ladies :yep: I ended up picking up Soft & Beautiful b/c I saw that as a constant rave up here...I saw a box perm by Elasta QP but I didn't hear anything about it so I didn't buy. I am going to self-relax Friday night..wish me luck :look:

_lovelyness

NYCQT16 said:
Thanks ladies :yep: I ended up picking up Soft & Beautiful b/c I saw that as a constant rave up here...I saw a box perm by Elasta QP but I didn't hear anything about it so I didn't buy. I am going to self-relax Friday night..wish me luck :look:

Is it the first time you're going to self relax ?? if yes, I STRONGlY, STRONGLY advise you to ask a friend to help you !! I tried self relaxing alone, for the first time last month and it didn't turn out too well, even with all the helpful tips I gathered here !!
I wish you good luck, and keep us posted on the result !

sweetpeadst

I would have to say silk elements is pretty good! Didn't really burn, got my hair straight and at Sally's they usually give you a free gift when you purchase it (i got a regular size of conditioner with purchase). But now I am on my Phyto run (might have to go back b/c funds are low)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RainbowCurls

Good luck NYCQT16. Let us know how it goes.
Soft & Beautiful is on my list of relaxers I might be using next time I relax so I'm particulary interested.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
For 12 yrs now I have been using Soft n Beautiful No-Lye Regular. It hasn't failed me once. I always have staight new new growth and hardly no burning on the scalp. :yep:

Out of curiosity I tried Dark n Lovely once and my hair came out underprocessed. I went back to my usual stuff in a hurry.I hope that you have a great self relaxing experience!

NYCQT16

Natural Again
Thanks so much ladies :) I hope it goes well too. I have self-relaxed in the past...3 times or so. I didn't even make a lot of fuss, I just did it and went on my way. The 1st time I did, it came out good...but about the 3rd time it started looking thinner so I just stopped because I felt I was probably doing more harm than good. So this time I do have an idea on what NOT to do :lol: and I am probably gonna ask my mom to help me with the back...particularly the middle because it gets pretty dicey up in there :lol: . I plan to post some before & after pics on Sat hopefully :yep:

B

Bublnbrnsuga

When I used to relax, my favorite was Precise. It doesn't come with neutralizer,though.

ajoyfuljoy

I have been using Soft n Beautiful for a while and I usually have some burning. I love the way it straightens and how it handles my hair. Maybe I just need to up my game to somehow decrease the burning? But I've had a problem with burning since I was a child, so this is a constant struggle.

leona2025

I used Gentle Treatment Super for a while, but it stopped working on my hair. I used Profectiv? It was good and they have some with color rinses in them. I Use Optimum No Lye Regular now and it is my favorite. All I can say is be sure to only do your new growth. I didn't know I wasn't suppose to pull it all the way through from root to tip and I have been doing that for about 10 years. I just stoped when I joined this board.