Box relaxer vs. Professional relaxer.....difference??

Ms_Twana

Okay ladies. Some of you may know that I have relaxed again (texlaxed actually). I went to a salon to get the relaxer, but from now on, I plan to self relax. I won't do a touch up for another 5 months or so. So, during this time I am doing LOTS of research on the different relaxers, self relaxing, and preparing hair before and after relaxers.

So, this thread is to find out if it is all about the technique of applying the relaxer. Or, if the relaxer itself has something to do with it as well. Is there a difference between the box relaxers (like Silk Elements and ones you buy from Walmart, Target, BSS, etc.) and professional ones (like Mizani, Affirm, Design, etc.) TIA!! :grin:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
The biggest difference is that salons use lye and the at-home relaxer kits are no-lye
But your hair can also respond differenly to different relaxers as well
Some people who use lye hated Silk Elements lye but LOVE Mizani lye. Just like with any other product, your hair has preferences with relaxers as well :)

ETA: IMO, when getting your hair straight with relaxers, it's all about the technique. Some folks could use the crappiest relaxer ever made and get your hair super bone straight

Last edited:

Denise11

The biggest difference is that salons use lye and the at-home relaxer kits are no-lye
Some people who use lye hated Silk Elements lye but LOVE Mizani lye. Just like with any other product, your hair has preferences with relaxers as well :)

ETA: IMO, when getting your hair straight with relaxers, it's all about the technique. Some folks could use the crappiest relaxer ever made and get your hair super bone straight

So true tiffers! I use Dark and Lovely no-lye, and my hair turns out great because I'm good at relaxing. It's all about the technique that's right for you. I've been relaxing for a long time (over 25 years) and it's 2nd nature to me now.

Before I started self-relaxing, I had a great stylist who relaxed with an expensive relaxer (I don't remember the name). But anyway, now my hair turns out just as good as when she did it.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My botched self relaxer turned out better than my stylist. At least I got my hair more strait than she did. It's because lye does not straiten my hair at all. She used ORS lye. It burned the hell out of my neck and scalp. Never again will I ever use a lye relaxer again or I should say, never again will I allow another stylist to relax me ever again.:rolleyes: Thanks to You tube and the help I found here, I am now able to do my own relaxers and touch ups. I know what made my past relaxers go sour and my natural journey will make stretching relaxers a breeze!

Last edited:

Ms_Twana

Bump again. We have 50 11 ladies that relax. Can I PLEASE get some more responses. If there is another thread on this (I tried to search first), please direct me to it. Thx.

Well I was going to my stylist and getting lye relaxers, but now I think my scalp can't take lye relaxers, so I'm doing my own and I'm switching to no-lye because of my scalp and believe me I have based so much and still burn...with no lye, it leaves mineral buildup on your hair so after you rinse your relaxer out make sure you use a chelating shampoo.....and use a chelating shampoo a couple of days or weeks after your relaxer!! I think for my hair no-lye is better, but some ladies prefer lye and lye is suppose to be better for your hair, but not for your scalp, so IMO, why use something that's not good for you scalp.....but use whatever you think will be good for you!

Ms_Twana

.....but use whatever you think will be good for you!

Thanks. See, I don't know the difference. When I was relaxed before, I didn't know enough about hair to pay attention to what was working for my hair and what wasn't. I don't know if boxed relaxers were bad for my hair or if lye or no lye was better. All I cared about was what got my hair super straight. :look: So, I'm basically going to have to start from scratch when it comes to finding out what relaxer works well for my hair. Especially since I'm texlaxed. I'm going to need a relaxer that works well for my hair, and not get me too straight. I'm just trying to lose as little hair as possible as I go through this trial and error process. :ohwell:

pisceschica

Okay ladies. Some of you may know that I have relaxed again (texlaxed actually). I went to a salon to get the relaxer, but from now on, I plan to self relax. I won't do a touch up for another 5 months or so. So, during this time I am doing LOTS of research on the different relaxers, self relaxing, and preparing hair before and after relaxers.

So, this thread is to find out if it is all about the technique of applying the relaxer. Or, if the relaxer itself has something to do with it as well. Is there a difference between the box relaxers (like Silk Elements and ones you buy from Walmart, Target, BSS, etc.) and professional ones (like Mizani, Affirm, Design, etc.) TIA!! :grin:

They only difference is that professional relaxers are not readily available to the public. Most professional relaxers have a sodium hydroxide (lye) and a no-lye (calcium/sodium hydroxide) formula. The only real difference is that they are not giong to sell it to the general public only licensed cosmetologistis/salons. And yes you do take a risk when you buy those professional only relaxers from BSS.

pisceschica

Really? I'm pretty sure my stylists have been using no-lye on me (or at least i'd like to know if otherwise) esp since i have a sensitive scalp.

No that is not true. Professional brand relaxers Mizani, Affirm, etc. have both no-lye and lye formulas. It just that their no-lye formulas are called sensitive scalp relaxers.

However all of the box relaxers sold at drug/grocery stores are no-lye.

pisceschica

Thanks. See, I don't know the difference. When I was relaxed before, I didn't know enough about hair to pay attention to what was working for my hair and what wasn't. I don't know if boxed relaxers were bad for my hair or if lye or no lye was better. All I cared about was what got my hair super straight. :look: So, I'm basically going to have to start from scratch when it comes to finding out what relaxer works well for my hair. Especially since I'm texlaxed. I'm going to need a relaxer that works well for my hair, and not get me too straight. I'm just trying to lose as little hair as possible as I go through this trial and error process. :ohwell:

They only thing I can add is that no-lye relaxers generally take longer to work than lye so that may be good for you if you are a little slower and or don't wat your hair to be to straight. If you schoose the no-lye forumula just use chelating shampoo so your hair doesn't dry out.

Aspire

I have pretty much always self relaxed and for the most part have always used the same relaxer. I do agree with the poster who said it is about technique than anything else. I have tried varying away from my relaxer to try other, because I was always told mine was particularly harsh (I use Optimum), but my hair has never responded well to other relaxers. I will say though, that there is a LOT of info on this board and others to help improve the self relaxing process. Sistaslick's articles provided info for me that I did not have (I posted links below for you). I think my last relaxer came out better than ever before.

I do want to say though, that the health of your hair plays a significant role in the results of the relaxer. As I said, the my last relaxer came out better than ever before and I believe it was also due to the improvement in my hair's health.

Anyway - Good luck! HTH!

4-Step Relaxer Prep www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html

Your Complete Guide to Safely Applying Chemical Relaxers
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/320975/guide_to_safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html

Relaxers: Lye? Or No-Lye? Which is better for you?
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/352470/is_lye_or_nolye_chemical_relaxing_better.html
-

Ms_Twana

They only thing I can add is that no-lye relaxers generally take longer to work than lye so that may be good for you if you are a little slower and or don't wat your hair to be to straight. If you schoose the no-lye forumula just use chelating shampoo so your hair doesn't dry out.

Thanks. That was good to know.

So is there a difference between a chelating shampoo and a clarifying shampoo?? Or is a chelating shampoo basically a neutralizing shampoo?

I have pretty much always self relaxed and for the most part have always used the same relaxer. I do agree with the poster who said it is about technique than anything else. I have tried varying away from my relaxer to try other, because I was always told mine was particularly harsh (I use Optimum), but my hair has never responded well to other relaxers. I will say though, that there is a LOT of info on this board and others to help improve the self relaxing process. Sistaslick's articles provided info for me that I did not have (I posted links below for you). I think my last relaxer came out better than ever before.

I do want to say though, that the health of your hair plays a significant role in the results of the relaxer. As I said, the my last relaxer came out better than ever before and I believe it was also due to the improvement in my hair's health.

Anyway - Good luck! HTH!

4-Step Relaxer Prep www.associatedcontent.com/article/278572/getting_ready_to_relax_preparing_your.html

Your Complete Guide to Safely Applying Chemical Relaxers
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/320975/guide_to_safely_applying_chemical_relaxers.html

Relaxers: Lye? Or No-Lye? Which is better for you?
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/352470/is_lye_or_nolye_chemical_relaxing_better.html
-

Wow. Thank you very much for the links. Off to check them out now.

Mz.Shug

Well I was going to my stylist and getting lye relaxers, but now I think my scalp can't take lye relaxers, so I'm doing my own and I'm switching to no-lye because of my scalp and believe me I have based so much and still burn...with no lye, it leaves mineral buildup on your hair so after you rinse your relaxer out make sure you use a chelating shampoo.....and use a chelating shampoo a couple of days or weeks after your relaxer!! I think for my hair no-lye is better, but some ladies prefer lye and lye is suppose to be better for your hair, but not for your scalp, so IMO, why use something that's not good for you scalp.....but use whatever you think will be good for you!

I'm a burner as well and just wanted to add/ask. I used Summit base before relaxing and instead of just basing and straight off the bat relaxing I let the base sit for about 20min and then relaxed with Mizani BB(lye) for fine/color treated hair.I don't know if it would make a difference with you as everyone is unique but I highly suggest that next time you let it sit before relaxing.

Ms Twana-this was my first time self tex-laxing AND using a Lye relaxer and IMO the lye is much better than the no-lye(box).My hair isn't as dry as it normally is post-relaxer and it has more movement.

The most beneficial reason for self relaxing has been the availablity to take my time in preparation.Detagling without pulling at the scalp/ripping my hair out,protecting my previously relaxed ends,basing my scalp and letting it "marinate" on my scalp,adding in SAA, and post-relaxer care like rinsing well,letting the neutralizer sit for 10min 2x's and adding PC to the mix.No one was rushing me in and out of the chair or letting my relaxer over process because they were working on another client.

I hope this helps.

BUMPING for answers to this................
I have used ORS no-lye box, ORS lye in the container (no base).
I was looking in SALLY's and they have an ORS no-lye PROFESSIONAL.
Can someone chime in and tell me there experiences with the PROFESSIONAL version. I would post pics of the 3 but I am at work.
I remember seeing a review on youtube of ORS that was done at a salon. Now I believe the young lady got those results by using the PRofessional version.

tiffers

Really? I'm pretty sure my stylists have been using no-lye on me (or at least i'd like to know if otherwise) esp since i have a sensitive scalp.

Some stylists use no-lye, but as far as I know, most use lye

tiffers

No that is not true. Professional brand relaxers Mizani, Affirm, etc. have both no-lye and lye formulas. It just that their no-lye formulas are called sensitive scalp relaxers. However all of the box relaxers sold at drug/grocery stores are no-lye.
You're right, professional brands do make no-lye as well. I was referring to what stylists use. To my knowledge, most stylists use lye.

LaidBak

I used and loved the Dark & Lovely box relaxer for YEARS. Now I am using Mizani after experimenting with Phyto. The biggest difference I saw was that the D&L, which I think is no-lye, got my hair bone straight. That's the way I like it. The Mizani and the Phyto don't. But in all fairness I used super before and now I am only using milder formulas. I switched because of all the things I read on this site.
I don't know...I was happier with my results when I used a box relaxer, but without a long term comparison I cannot tell if these professional ones are better for my hair. I figure that by the end of the year I will know. If my strands are thicker and stronger I guess I'll stick with professional stuff. But I sure wouldn't mind going back to $5.99 a box. Shoot, that's $2.99 a relaxer!!

jerseygurl

Not a new member
When I used no-lye relaxers, my hair used to be very dry and would break off but when I switched to lye, there was a big difference. I used Vitale (lye) for my last touch up and I loved it. I think I've found a keeper.

Oh yes, chelating shampoos remove mineral and calcium buildup but don't strip the hair of moisture (at least not the one I use - ORS Creamy Aloe) while clarifying shampoos remove silicone and other product buildup and strip your hair of any and all moisture.

vkb247

I use Motions Herbal to texlax exactly for this reason. Many ladies have reported that it underprocessed them and reverted so it is perfect for me. I only texlax with relaxer mixed with conditioner/oil. I am really getting tired of my extreme shrinkage so I am thinking about switching to ORS lye and going a bit straighter but I am afraid that it might end up too straight.

I don't know anything about one worker faster than the other but from all of the relaxer reviews I have read most ladies find that no-lye gets them bone straight and lye tends to leave more texture or underprocess.

clarity2008

What she said!:yep: