What's it going to take

Boadicea

What\'s it going to take

to get my hair long AND thick? It's been bra clasp length about three times in the past year but I keep trimming off inches in order to keep the thickness.

My hair is growing, but it only stays full around the shoulders and then starts tapering off making the ends look stringy.

I'll never reach elbow length at this rate. Just today I trimmed off 2-3 inches and my hair still has no thickness at the ends. Now it's above bra clasp length again.

Is there anything I can do besides taking vitamins (which I can't take due to palpitations) or thickening shampoos (which don't seem to work on my hair)?

joyous

Re: What\'s it going to take

I don't have any suggestions but I've always admired your hair. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Brownie

Hello Boadacia!
I've always admired your hair.
I would say, stop trimming your length, until you get to/past your goal length, and then start taking off some inches. WHo knows? Your hair might look thicker when it gets longer. Right now, you could try more roller sets to make your ends look thicker.

If you can't take vitamins, then just eat right (from your picture, it looks like you do), do the protective style thing to avoid breakage and wait it out. Don't worry. You'll reach your goal in no time.

soaries

Are you doing co washes? I noticed since I have starting doing they at least twice a week, my hair has thickened up quite a bit.

Lindy

Your hair looks fine to me!!!
I really don't think you have "see through ends"...

Stormy

[ QUOTE ]
Hello Boadacia!
I've always admired your hair.
I would say, stop trimming your length, until you get to/past your goal length, and then start taking off some inches.

Right now, you could try more roller sets to make your ends look thicker.

If you can't take vitamins, then just eat right (from your picture, it looks like you do), do the protective style thing to avoid breakage and wait it out. Don't worry. You'll reach your goal in no time.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do too. The roller sets to make it look thicker and I'm going to trim less until I reach my goal.

ms_kenesha

Here's the thing that I've noticed because my hair does the same thing. The appearance of thiness is due to the different lengths of hair, if all the length is the same it looks thicker which is why when I have a shorter hair cut my hair looks thicker. Just wait until you've reached your goal length and trim to keep it at that length until most of your hair is all the same length.

Stormy

Oh that's right! My hair buddy told me that! Mine is in lots and lots of layers with the back being the longest. I noticed it looked thicker before when it was shorter.

serena

[ QUOTE ]
stop trimming your length, until you get to/past your goal length, and then start taking off some inches.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just wait until you've reached your goal length and trim to keep it at that length until most of your hair is all the same length.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Brownie and Ms_Kenesha. My ends are thinner than the rest of my hair, too, as well as uneven, but I won't be doing much to them until I reach my goal length. And as Brownie says, it may very well thicken up as it gets longer!

Boadicea

Thank you very much, ladies! I'm tired of having to trim every five minutes for the illusion of thickness. Thank you for the advice. So far I've gotten 3 inches of growth this year and hopefully 3 more inches to come before the new year. I won't trim until then and see what happens. And I'll take off much less.

EmeraldSky

I would say try to keep your ends mosturized and strong with protein treatments every few months and a good moisturizer that way they don't break off as they get longer, that's what tends to cause the thin look towards the end because all the hairs aren't the same length. I noticed that I've been able to retain thicker ends now that I am taking better care of the ends of my hair.
Also try taking b-5 it's worked for me and a lot of the women on the board to thicken hair.

Allandra

Are you taking B-5 (pantothenic acid)? That's suppose to help with making the hair thicker.

E

EgyptianSand16

Boadicea, the hair lady from www.afrohairlong.com had a method for combing her hair, to avoid thinning as it gets longer. You should check it out

adrienne0914

i'm glad you decided to stop trimming until you reach your goal. it will only take that much longer.

how do you wear your hair on a daily basis?