Greying...want to dye hair dark & add highlights

tal

I have grey streaks throughout my hair. I would like to dye my relaxed hair a dark, dark, brown to cover the grey, and then add bronze-type highlights.

Please tell me:

1. Is this possible without causing alot of damage?
2. How do I prepare my hair for these processes?
3. What type of dye should be used, e.g. rinse, demi, or permanent?
4. What do I use to protect my hair, once the multiple processes have been completed?
5. What would the touch-up process involve when my grey starts coming back in?
6. Are the any other options to get the desired outcome?

Don't worry, I plan on having a professional do this.

Thanks.

thickness

I have a lot of gray and have been every color from jet black to red. I've had hi-lights and all over color. Gray hair looks very ugly when growing in with your double-processed hair. My gray hair is very wiry and coarse. The one thing that works the best for me is my trusty Bigen. It can be real expensive upkeep to keep those gray roots covered. And the Bigen is only 3.99 and I can do it myself at home. I was going to the salon every 4 weeks for color. Too time consuming for me.

goldensugar23

my mom uses jazzing in plum red.with her hair turning grey the color really pops on her hair.She gets more compliments then me :p .Jazzing is a veggie based color rinse and is highly reccomended if your want zero damage on your relaxed hair.It seems to deliver incredible shine as well.

Mahalialee4

Try a semi permanent...Beautiful Collections by Clairol no peroxide no ammonia. NO ppd. Works beautifully...blends unbelievably and lasts through several washes. I use it on my roots because the henna was just leaving red behind and not black. Even the henna and indigo were not retaining the black My roots grow in so fast. Even with the MTG and homemade wildgrow and meskiti oil, I can use this without it rubbing off. It covers the gray roots and the reddish areas above. HTH Bonjour

balisi

tal said:
I have grey streaks throughout my hair. I would like to dye my relaxed hair a dark, dark, brown to cover the grey, and then add bronze-type highlights.

Please tell me:

1. Is this possible without causing alot of damage?
2. How do I prepare my hair for these processes?
3. What type of dye should be used, e.g. rinse, demi, or permanent?
4. What do I use to protect my hair, once the multiple processes have been completed?
5. What would the touch-up process involve when my grey starts coming back in?
6. Are the any other options to get the desired outcome?

Don't worry, I plan on having a professional do this.

Thanks.
Your colorist should first perform a strand test on your hair in order to determine how well your hair can hold up to the process, as well as how long it will take to reach the desired results. Ideally, you should go in for a patch test at least 24 hours beforehand in order to make sure you are not allergic to the dyes. A deep conditioning treatment or two beforehand is a good idea. You should also condition well in the weeks following your color job. If a lightener is used to lift your hair's natural pigment, a demi-permanent color can be used (less damaging but still effective). Touch-ups involve pretty much the same process, but should not overlap the previously colored hair.