Should I color? Yes, another question about hair dye

seeminglysweet

I am relaxed. I got highlights over the summer, July maybe. And I am sick of them and only got them because my stylist won't dye my hair black because she feels that hair that dark would age me...I guess she is looking out even tho I disagree.

So I want to dye my hair a medium brown, all one color. My hair is in decent health. I don't have problems with highlights, I only use a dryer on my hair when I go to the salon - which is once every 2 or 3 months. I do battle with split ends but I think that will be a lifelong battle.

I am nervous about coloring ALL my hair since I've only ever had highlights. Is dark color damaging to the hair? I know lightening strips color from the hair and dark deposits but how healthy is dark color for the hair? I won't do it if I feel that it could possibly be damaging.

SweetCaramel1

hi ss. i've had colored before (without highlights) and it was not as harsh as highlights but it did dry my hair slightly. i think the condition of your highlights are a good indication of how your hair will react to color. if your highlights are in good condition then your colored hair should be in a similar condition. though your highlighted hair will be doubled processed and i'm not sure how it will react with the color.

sad to hear your stylist won't accomodate your wish for darker hair.

TowsonGirl

Maybe you should go with a black rinse. Its not harsh on the hair, and even if you dont like it, it"ll wash out in a couple washes. HTH!

so so chic

Well, first of all, I feel that if you really want black hair, that's what you should have...not what your stylist wants. Regardless of if she thinks it will age you or not, that will be your problem, not hers. Me personally, I LOVE black hair. As far as how damaging it will be, I guess any chemical can be somewhat damaging, but of course, lightening is more damaging than darkening. If the highlights are ok, then I'd think that you dying all of your hair a dark brown or black would be fine. I used Bigen in Oriental Black and it was wonderful. I did not have ANY problems with my hair being dry or anything. My only other advice (from MY personal experience) is that Bigen is good, and Loreal Feria is bad...it jacked my hair up, but it may have done wonders for some. HTH :)

TowsonGirl

Sorry, I didnt read your post correctly. You said you want dark brown hair and I suggested a black rinse. I meant to say a dark brown rinse.....but you know what I mean:D

seeminglysweet

Thanks everyone. I am also considering a rinse and although I would like to have black hair the only person who thinks I would look good with it is myself and my SO, because he thinks I will look *sexy*. I trust my stylist to be honest with me, I've been with her for 14 years and I know she won't color me black just to get some extra money in her pocket.

I think I need to really focus on the health of my hair and get a rinse at least until summer so I won't create damage during the winter months.