What You May Not Know 'bout MSM (positive!)

sunshyne_krissy

As I mentioned before, for those of you who were taking MSM and didn't see any changes in hair texture even after upping the dosage, where you taking it with vitamin C as well? This is absolutly necissary when taking MSM b/c it acts like a sponge for it; allowing the body to quickly and effectivly absorb MSM into the bloodstream.

I was taking a tsp (5000mg) twice a day. My hair was always braided up but i think my texture did change. You can take mega doses of msm. I researched it and found a website that said keep uping your dosage until you get the results you want and then back down some to a maintenance type dose. i got away from taking it about 6 months ago and i plan on starting back because my skin was great and i definitely want to take it when my hair is out so i can see what is truly going on.

i think some of you taking pills, they may not be a powerful as powder. I know the powder is cheaper and you can adjust your dose by just adding more or less powder instead of looking for a pill with less mgs or taking a lot more pills.

Britt

sunshyne_krissy said:
As I mentioned before, for those of you who were taking MSM and didn't see any changes in hair texture even after upping the dosage, where you taking it with vitamin C as well? This is absolutly necissary when taking MSM b/c it acts like a sponge for it; allowing the body to quickly and effectivly absorb MSM into the bloodstream.

See, I never took MSM with vit. C. But I took a tablespoon of the pure powdered crystals for 4 months and still saw no change in my hair :confused: :confused: :confused: . I still have a tub of the MSM left, a brand new tub. I just never got the looser hair texture going on like many of the board members....

sunshyne_krissy

Britt said:
See, I never took MSM with vit. C. But I took a tablespoon of the pure powdered crystals for 4 months and still saw no change in my hair :confused: :confused: :confused: . I still have a tub of the MSM left, a brand new tub. I just never got the looser hair texture going on like many of the board members....

Ahhhh see!! Maybe you could put the rest of that tub to good use and add a small dose of Vitamin C along with it. Not a lot is necissary...maybe like take a Multi Vitamin that includes vitamin C with your MSM??

angellazette

I take about 6000mg of MSM with 500mg of Vit. C.

My hair is doing something, especially in the front. Not sure how to describe it but I don't know if it's the henna or MSM.

Britt

sunshyne_krissy said:
Ahhhh see!! Maybe you could put the rest of that tub to good use and add a small dose of Vitamin C along with it. Not a lot is necissary...maybe like take a Multi Vitamin that includes vitamin C with your MSM??

That's the thing, I've always taken a multi... I don't know.. I just never got the results everyone else got from taking MSM.
Actually a few years when I also took it, it made my new growth SUBSTANTIALLY tighter and coarser :huh:. I guess I will take the tub I have just to simply finish it off and not waste it. I take a1msm and it's not cheap :lol:. I will have to put it to use.

nikkivale

sunshyne_krissy said:
I had done some research about a year ago on the differences between Natural 4a/b hair and natural 1-3c hair and completely forgot to post what I found.
What I've found was that there are higher levels of Sulfur in the hair follicals of those who have 1-3c hair which cause that particular hair type to grow naturally softer in texture and possibly straighter, than those who have 4a-c hair...SO The reason why so many of us who are 4a-c hair types who are taking MSM powder are finding softer, less crunchy, less kinky, almost puppy fur hair is because MSM is a natural dirivative of Sulfur therefor we end up reaping the benefits of what many 1-3c hair types experience naturally. Some may not be experiencing these 'side effects' but for most of us who take it on a consistant basis, over a certain period of time may know exactly what I'm talking about.

I don't know how long you have to take MSM for these results to begin to show, nor do I know how many mg's or mcg's you need on a daily basis to get "microwave results". I just know that I've been using 500MG for about 2 weeks now and I can already see that my 4a new growth is coming in MUCH less kinky and dull and crunchy like most of you who are also on MSM. In fact it feels A LOT like 3c hair. My youngest sister has 3c so I compare it greatly to her texture.***

I am no chemist but I do like to educate myself on facts. I do not remember the website that contained this valuable information but I am still on the hunt for it so I can post it here for proof that I'm not making all this up...;) I know some of ya'll are skeptical...I understand so I'll keep you posted.

So maybe those of you who posted a "yes" or "maybe" in that great thread: If you could take a pill to change your 4a/b hair to 3c, would you...? may not be as far fetched a fantasy for us as we think...

Good post. Maybe I'll dust off my ole MSM now. BTW who is that in your avatar??:)

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
tkj25 said:
my texture has definitely softened since taking msm. i've been using it (and silica) since '99. i've always had vivid dreams so i never noticed a change on that front, :lol:, but the texture thing i noticed within a month. i currently take it in capsule form from vitaminshoppe, 1000 mg. i also buy the powder to mix into my homemade hair products or juice.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1686

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=VS-1758

:eek: Itsa MMMahhhn:eek: And, judging from your yahoo album, a man with lots of hair. I would say welcome, but you've been here longer than I have. So Hello!! :)

starfish79

Enchantmt said:
:eek: Itsa MMMahhhn:eek: And, judging from your yahoo album, a man with lots of hair. I would say welcome, but you've been here longer than I have. So Hello!! :)

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:
That's the same thing I said! Seeing his album has been part of the inspiration I needed to experiment more with my hair!

...anyhow back to the program we interrupted... :grin:
I'm currently taking 2000mg/day and I've noticed a loosening of my testure too. I'm worried though because I have a lot of 3b areas and even a 3a patch mixed in my mostly 4a hair and I don't want those like...straight! :perplexed