What You May Not Know 'bout MSM (positive!)

sunshyne_krissy

I had done some research about a year ago on the differences between Natural 4a/b hair and natural 1-3c hair and completely forgot to post what I found.
What I've found was that there are higher levels of Sulfur in the hair follicals of those who have 1-3c hair which cause that particular hair type to grow naturally softer in texture and possibly straighter, than those who have 4a-c hair...SO The reason why so many of us who are 4a-c hair types who are taking MSM powder are finding softer, less crunchy, less kinky, almost puppy fur hair is because MSM is a natural dirivative of Sulfur therefor we end up reaping the benefits of what many 1-3c hair types experience naturally. Some may not be experiencing these 'side effects' but for most of us who take it on a consistant basis, over a certain period of time may know exactly what I'm talking about.

I don't know how long you have to take MSM for these results to begin to show, nor do I know how many mg's or mcg's you need on a daily basis to get "microwave results". I just know that I've been using 500MG for about 2 weeks now and I can already see that my 4a new growth is coming in MUCH less kinky and dull and crunchy like most of you who are also on MSM. In fact it feels A LOT like 3c hair. My youngest sister has 3c so I compare it greatly to her texture.***

I am no chemist but I do like to educate myself on facts. I do not remember the website that contained this valuable information but I am still on the hunt for it so I can post it here for proof that I'm not making all this up...;) I know some of ya'll are skeptical...I understand so I'll keep you posted.

So maybe those of you who posted a "yes" or "maybe" in that great thread: If you could take a pill to change your 4a/b hair to 3c, would you...? may not be as far fetched a fantasy for us as we think...

Last edited:

gymfreak336

sunshyne_krissy said:
I had done some research about a year ago on the differences between Natural 4a/b hair and natural 1-3c hair. What I've found was that there are higher levels of Sulfur in the hair follicals of those who have 1-3c hair which cause that particular hair type to grow naturally softer in texture and possibly straighter, than those who have 4a-c hair...SO The reason why so many of us who are 4a-c hair types who are taking MSM powder are finding softer, less crunchy, less kinky, almost puppy fur hair is because MSM is a natural dirivative of Sulfur therefor we end up reaping the benefits of what many 1-3c hair types experience naturally. Some may not be experiencing these 'side effects' but for most of us who take it on a consistant basis, over a certain period of time may know exactly what I'm talking about.

I don't know how long you have to take MSM for these results to begin to show, nor do I know how many mg's or mcg's you need on a daily basis to get "microwave results". I just know that I've been using 500MG for about 2 weeks now and I can already see that my 4a new growth is coming in MUCH less kinky and dull and crunchy like most of you who are also on MSM. In fact it feels A LOT like 3c hair. My youngest sister has 3c so I compare it greatly to her texture.***

I am no chemist but I do like to educate myself on facts. I do not remember the website that contained this valuable information but I am still on the hunt for it so I can post it here for proof that I'm not making all this up...;) I know some of ya'll are skeptical...I understand so I'll keep you posted.

So maybe those of you who posted a "yes" or "maybe" in that great thread: If you could take a pill to change your 4a/b hair to 3c, would you...? may not be as far fetched a fantasy for us as we think...

This is good info. You are right, I am sure a year at moderate to high levels of msm will change your texture completely. Do I hear a challenge in the making????

bajanplums1

I agree. My new growth texture is definitely softer and the kink is not as tight. I thought it was the MSM, but now I am convinced. I'm ok with it, it allows me to stretch longer.

LocksOfLuV

I guess I am out of the majority, but MSM did NATHAN for my texture.

All the changes I got were from me (DCing, moisturizing, etc). I wish it did though.

gymfreak336

LocksOfLuV said:
I guess I am out of the majority, but MSM did NATHAN for my texture.
All the changes I got were from me (DCing, moisturizing, etc). I wish it did though.

How much do you take.

sunshyne_krissy

@ LocksOfLuV:
Do you remember how much MSM you were taking??? I know for some people, like myself, it only takes 500 mg to get the results I'm looking for FOR NOW. For others it takes a lil more. My bottle of MSM says you can take up to 4 capsules a day...:eek: I don't need that much. I guess If I were real desperate...hmmmm:confused:

lol gymfreak beat me to it....LOL try 500mg or more

sunshyne_krissy

gymfreak336 said:
Don't forget taking it with vitamin c.

I almost forgot.. YES do take it w/ Vit C. There is an MSM powder @ GNC that has the Vit C already mixed in the MSM. This is vital to maximum and proper absorbtion into the body...:D

LocksOfLuV

sunshyne_krissy said:
I almost forgot.. YES do take it w/ Vit C. There is an MSM powder @ GNC that has the Vit C already mixed in the MSM. This is vital to maximum and proper absorbtion into the body...:D

WOOOW! I didn't know that. I am almost out of MSM so I will look up that GNC powder. Thank you. You learn something new everyday.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I started taking MSM in the Fall of 06, but stopped because of the dreams. I had gotten to a point to where I was scared to fall asleep for fear of what crazy dream I would have.

I didn't take it to change my texture, but I took it for hair growth. I had been contemplating on starting back, but unsure. Back in the beginning of this year, I took MSM for a couple days, and the crazy, non-normal, real-like dreams started back......I had to stop. I wouldn't mind starting back now for hair growth. I'm fine with my hair texture; I just don't care for all the fizziness at the crown.

LocksOfLuV

TSUprincess04 said:
I started taking MSM in the Fall of 06, but stopped because of the dreams. I had gotten to a point to where I was scared to fall asleep for fear of what crazy dream I would have.

I didn't take it to change my texture, but I took it for hair growth. I had been contemplating on starting back, but unsure. Back in the beginning of this year, I took MSM for a couple days, and the crazy, non-normal, real-like dreams started back......I had to stop. I wouldn't mind starting back now for hair growth. I'm fine with my hair texture; I just don't care for all the fizziness at the crown.

Someone here told me to pray to GOD to keep happy thoughts with me while I sleep.

It worked.

angie10

Good post. I think I will stick to lower dosage though. I don't want my hair to get too soft or fine, whatever you want to call it. I don't want it to look too thin when I relax it.:look:

sunshyne_krissy

TSUprincess04 said:

I noticed that a lot of ladies were experiencing crazy dreams...:confused:
Not me......Then again my dreams where like that before I was taking MSM :grin:

sunshyne_krissy

LocksOfLuV said:
THANK YOU! :kiss: I am sitting here on GNC's website like a madd woman and I couldn't find it for nothing.

Thank you again!:D

awww! you're welcome!

guys keep this thread going strong, im going to bed. Goodnight!! C yall in da mornin!

Last edited:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
sunshyne_krissy said:
I noticed that a lot of ladies were experiencing crazy dreams...:confused:
Not me......Then again my dreams where like that before I was taking MSM :grin:

Yeah, but these weren't normal dreams. These were dang near real, the "pinch-me-to-see-if-I'm-awake-but-I-still-feel-the-pinch-even-though-I'm-knocked-out-sleep" dreams. I would dream about stuff, and it'd feel as if I was there, like forreal. I remember after one dream of a loved one dying, I woke up crying. I had been crying in my dream. I had never been happier to wake up and see my headboard and realize it's just a dream. One time after having a crazy/scary dream, I woke up with a scratch on my arm. Now, I coulda sworn that I grew out of that stage where I used to scratch myself in my sleep when I was younger, but man!

I love to sleep, but when I was taking MSM, the best part of sleeping was waking up.

HoneyDew

TSUprincess04 said:
Yeah, but these weren't normal dreams. These were dang near real, the "pinch-me-to-see-if-I'm-awake-but-I-still-feel-the-pinch-even-though-I'm-knocked-out-sleep" dreams. I would dream about stuff, and it'd feel as if I was there, like forreal. I remember after one dream of a loved one dying, I woke up crying. I had been crying in my dream. I had never been happier to wake up and see my headboard and realize it's just a dream. One time after having a crazy/scary dream, I woke up with a scratch on my arm. Now, I coulda sworn that I grew out of that stage where I used to scratch myself in my sleep when I was younger, but man!

I love to sleep, but when I was taking MSM, the best part of sleeping was waking up.

:lol: girl, I gotta hand it to you. You explain it so well!! My dreams were the same way! They have died down a bit, but if I stop taking MSM for a week or so, and start back up, the dreams return.

P

patient1

TSUprincess04 said:

Imo, your dreams are supposed to be very vivid. They can be excellent teachers. Which biblical story is it that illustrates this? The one about Daniel in the lion's den comes to mind. That dream saved his life. Or was it Joseph that was able to interpret the Pharoah's dreams? Or both.

Anyway, my theory is that when the body is at optimal health, all systems function at optimal levels....dreams included.

I use msm topically on my hair and I'm inconsistent with taking it orally. I decided to reduce the amount of internal work I did via supplements. However, I've found that the topical use still gives me the benefits.

MSM is a great form of sulfur whether you use it internally or externally. Whichever way you cut it, it's an element that's vital to our health. From what I read somewhere (maybe here), babies wouldn't make it here without sulfur.

p1

Incredible1ne

I've been taking MSM daily since January and haven't noticed any of these texture changes in my natural 4B hair. I started at 500MG, went up to 1000MG and am now at 2000MG. The only benefits I've seen have been in my skin and joints.

janeemat

bajanplums1 said:
I agree. My new growth texture is definitely softer and the kink is not as tight. I thought it was the MSM, but now I am convinced. I'm ok with it, it allows me to stretch longer.

Same here. Since using MSM my ng much softer. No beady beads in the kitchen.

tkj25