What would you do?

winona

I have a scenario for you ladies. Please give me your honest opinion. This scenario is between 2 people. Person B is the buyer and Person S is the seller.

Person S put a new HOT TOOL on the exchange forum for $45 (this included shipping and delivery confirmation; insurance was to be paid by buyer). Person B contacted Person S through PMs and it was agreed that person S would sell the new HOT TOOL for $40 including shipping and delivery confirmation. Person B was offered insurance if she wanted to purchase it and it would be added to cost, but person B didn't think this as necessary. Person S packed the new HOT TOOL in a priority box with stuffing the next day and shipped it to Person B. Person B received the package and immediately sent a PM to person S stating that a portion of new HOT TOOL was damage and that she wanted to return it for a full reimbursement and did not feel responsible to pay for the return shipping.

Sorry for the long message but what are your thoughts, and what would be fair in this situation considering each party seems to have done what was expected of them yet things went awry?

silenttullip

The buyer is in the wrong... You get insurance to insure your package if you don't if you don't I feel for you...

faithVA

Was there any visible damage on the outside box?

There is the right answer and then there is the answer that's going to really work. I'm figuring out how to state that. Will be back.

Whimsy

Buyer better suck it up, she's outta luck. Sorry. You shouldn't have been cheap and purchased the insurance. Otherwise she should pay to ship it back to seller and get her partial refund.

sunnieb

The buyer should've purchased insurance. Seller should not be responsible for paying to return or give a full refund.

Now, if the seller wants to be nice, maybe refund 1/2 the money, but not all.

NaturalfienD

I too wonder if the outside package was damaged ... in that case then buyer just lost one. If the box was not damaged, then nothing should have been wrong with the product assuming that the seller has integrity and provided a functioning appliance prior to mailing it. If I were the seller, I would make an effort to accommodate my client- if I want her to return to me for services in the future. JMO ...

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
winona

I don't think there is anything wrong/damage with the Tool. Period. I think B changed her mind (after she got it).:ohwell:

This is exactly what I think happened.:ohwell:

I think if there was any visible wear-and-tear on the Item, I personally think the Seller would have disclosed that.

I try to only sell things that are Brand New/still in the Original Packaging (or Sealed) to prevent stuff like you described.:ohwell:

I've sold everything from a Maxi-Glide to a Box of "Random" Products that the person just bought. Without an issue.

That's why I say: "Serious Inquiries Only" :ohwell:

Note to Self: Maybe I need to list "No Refunds":ohwell:

I don't know what I would do if I was the "Seller" but I seriously doubt that the Seller sent something that was Damaged.

lamaria211

If it was damaged during shipping then its on the buyer IMO. But if it was damaged prior then the buyer deserves a refund

Nonie

My immediate sentiments were those of @silenttullip and Whimsy.

@NaturalfienD I too thought like you after I read @faithVA's question about outside box damage; that got me wondering coz maybe that'd be a clue as to whether damage was in transit or before packaging. :scratchch

But then again, whenever we've had a delivery at work, we've been asked to open and inspect the package before signing for it because even with the best care and delivery from the warehouse, things can break...so absence of damage on the outside doesn't mean the box wasn't dropped and things inside it rattled in a way that would cause damage.... When packages have "Handle With Care" on the outside, I doubt that's usually because the packaging may get damaged. It's coz the outside may look good when the contents inside are damaged.

This is a tough one. If Person S is in a business, it'd be good business practice to have had a return policy stated clearly so that Person B knew what to expect, or to honor Person B to a point for the sake of his/her business. If this was just a one-time sale and Person S isn't into selling stuff, then ahem...both should just choke this up to a lesson learned. Person B loses a chunk and knows to take insurance next time. Person S learns to protect himself/herself when entering into a transaction so that she doesn't end up looking bad or worse wasting time in Judge Judy's court trying to prove she didn't wrong Person B. :look:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
winona

Lawd....I didn't know this was a Real "Situation" *cough* I just came from the Exchange Forum.:look:

You should probably go ahead and issue a Refund.:sad:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I had a situation where a Buyer said she was going to buy X products, but she had to send me a Money Order. I said that was fine. (probably won't do that again):look:

Anyway, it never came, so about 2-3 months later, she pm'ed me and said she never received her products?:lol:....:perplexed

I told her: 1) I never received a money order from her, 2) if she has the "stub" she needs to go to the P.O. or where ever she purchased it from to have it re-issued, because it didn't come this way.:look:

About a week or so later, she pm's me to see if I still had the products?

I told her Yeah, I still have them....so she sent the Money Order (FOR REAL) this time and I mailed the products.:rolleyes:

Normally, my Transaction go incredibly smoothly and I have regular customers but every once & a while stuff happens.:lol:

winona

IDareT'sHair

I am an honest person to a fault. I take very good care of my things and do not like being taken advantage of or people calling my integrity to question. I wanted an unbiased opinion because I was extremely irritated that she called me out when I didn't respond within 4 hours of her sending me a PM. I actually have a life and am not sitting here waiting for her PM. In addition, I posted a picture of the product and offered insurance at her expense before any money was exchanged. At first she denied I offered it then she was like well you must have sent it damaged. WTH. I was actually going to refund the money minus shipping until she got nasty about the situation.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I've only sold a few things online, but I always make all sales final. I take pics of the item for sale so folks can see what they're getting. I package stuff to prevent damage in transit, and off it goes to the buyer. But again, ALL SALES ARE FINAL. This situation may require a compromise simply because it was not indicated that all sales are final, regardless of if there was damage in transit or not.

MsLauren

OP, I just came from the hair exchange section and saw the messages. She should have taken the insurance that you offered and she did get kind of nasty about the situation. I wouldn't give a refund.

Daeuiel

Cosplay Champ
I would ask to see photos of the damage and also the box before making any decisions about refunding a purchase, especially if the buyer refused insurance when it was offered. That's like saying you aren't concerned about the possibility that the item may have issues. And in the future, simply put 'No refunds or returns' in the listing if you don't wish to deal with returns. That way you'll only have buyers who know the deal before making a purchase.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
winona

It's just not worth it. I'd refund the $ and KIM. I just would.:perplexed

You know the truth.:yep: (And so does she)

Like in the Money Order situation, at first I was ticked because I felt/thought she was tryna' "play me" and then I had to calm down, because I knew it was game.:blush:...:nono:

Hmp.:rolleyes: She went on and sent that Money Order.:rolleyes:

Come pm'ing me 2-3 months later talmbout "where my stuff":lol:

LovelyLouboutin

If it wasn't broken when I sent it and she declined insurance then I would not refund. I sure wouldn't refund if she got nasty about it.

PJaye

If I were the purchaser (Person B), I would consider the experience to be a $45 lesson and make sure that I am more cautious in the future. This is a classic case of he said-she said, and buyers always seem to come out on the losing end in such cases.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Okay, so now I'm torn. About to Refund or not Refund?

Part of me wishes you would, because it is upsetting for you. Then the other part of me..........

That's a tough one.

MsDee14

If it were me who sold the item, I would just give a full refund, but the buyer would have to pay for shipping.

I'm sure it could sell on ebay or something for a decent cost, just gotta make sure the damage is stated.

LovelyLouboutin

We dont know what piece broke off. Buyer didn't even mention if the item is working or not which makes me feel like its buyers remorse. If I bought a second hand item-and I actually wanted the item- and a little piece broke off but the item was still fully functional then I would ask for a partial refund and keep the item.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

winona, don't refund a dayum thang. You offered insurance, she declined. So she's azzzzed out IMO. You are in good standing as far as I'm personally concerned and I would have no problem purchasing from you in future...and yes, I'd pay for insurance :)

JJamiah

If you choose to refund, I'd make sure she ships it back. AND.... it is minus my shipping cost. It is bad enough your going to have a broken product that is no longer any good. YOur not a business that you can take a loss. Unless you have loss and prevention insurance which most of us don't have.

Half refund to be fair to us both, upon receiving my item back.

As you know I have been down this road before with an EBAY costomer who bought the swing from me for a piece. Kept claiming it was missing when she got it. :/ it was a 119.00 swing. It was all clipped in place a fedex'd carefully.

She got caught, by twisting her own lies. OH I know the piece is missing because I Have the same one with the same missing piece. I was like so you bought this to replace the piece and want me to take the hit. She oops and never heard from her again.

Not saying this is the same case but, look, I don't believe the hype all the time! Sowwy!

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
really y'all.....there's an error message when you go into the exchange forum....I'm always late to the party