what washing/applying method do you use with Mega Tek

what washing/applying method do you use

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im wearing a net weave so I apply between the braids using a applicator bottle and then use my fingers to rub it in. I never DC with MT because I hate the way it coats my hair even after its washed out. I apply every 2-3 days and do a moisturizing DC weekly and shampoo biweekly.

My mix is 4oz MT, 1oz Oil (50/50 Hairveda Shikakai & ORS Dry Scalp Relief)and 1/2 oz water.

My whole thing w MT is that, how does it work? Does it strengthen the hair? or the follicle of the hair?

Since I thought MT was a strengther, you would put it on your hair but if it strengthens the follicle, maybe that's why ppl use it on the scalp?

Nobody's been able to answer that question for me. That's why I haven't started using it yet.

I've been doing research on MT and OCT for a while.Each hair strand is made up of a protein called keratin, so protein is great way to strengthen the actual hair. My understanding about the products is because they are protein treatments, an overload of any protein without a balancing moisturizer can cause brittleness and breakage, which is why many women do protein treatment once a week to once a month, and have added oil to their MT/OCT. I've read over and over that garlic supplements, concotions, or shampoos & conditioners are effective in stopping and preventing shedding.

So yes it does strengthen your hair, but you must be careful if you're using it everyday or every other day to only add to your scalp to stimulate growth. Many experience shedding using this, so my guess is that because it speeds up the growth cycle, no, it doesn't strengthen the follicle. Hope that helps! And if I was wrong about anything, feel free to correct me. BTW I've ordered my OCT last Friday and can't wait for it to come.:dance7:

My whole thing w MT is that, how does it work? Does it strengthen the hair? or the follicle of the hair?

Since I thought MT was a strengther, you would put it on your hair but if it strengthens the follicle, maybe that's why ppl use it on the scalp?

Nobody's been able to answer that question for me. That's why I haven't started using it yet.

I use MT on both my hair and scalp. My hair loves it.

Im wearing a net weave so I apply between the braids using a applicator bottle and then use my fingers to rub it in. I never DC with MT because I hate the way it coats my hair even after its washed out. I apply every 2-3 days and do a moisturizing DC weekly and shampoo biweekly.

My mix is 4oz MT, 1oz Oil (50/50 Hairveda Shikakai & ORS Dry Scalp Relief)and 1/2 oz water.

Wow, you must be really protein sensitive. It's interesting to see how people are effected differently by using the same product. I use mine as a DC and add to scalp between wash days. My hair is thriving. The only time I am protein sensitive is when I use other protein cons. Then my hair tends to feel rough. But using MT alone my hair feels soft.

I use MT but my method is in the minority. A lot of people don't advocate using it as a leave-in. I use it as a leave-in. I wash my hair 2 times per week on Tuesday and Saturday. My method works for me. My goal is to reduce shedding and I am accomplishing that by using it as a leave-in. I retain more length by using it as a leave-in than I did when I was using it as a "growth-aid". Beside I use MTG all doctored up as a growth aid.:spinning: But of course I keep a very detailed journal so I know without a doubt what works for me and what don't . Good Luck in finding your way with MT.:drunk:

I use MT but my method is in the minority. A lot of people don't advocate using it as a leave-in. I use it as a leave-in. I wash my hair 2 times per week on Tuesday and Saturday. My method works for me. My goal is to reduce shedding and I am accomplishing that by using it as a leave-in. I retain more length by using it as a leave-in than I did when I was using it as a "growth-aid". Beside I use MTG all doctored up as a growth aid.:spinning: But of course I keep a very detailed journal so I know without a doubt what works for me and what don't . Good Luck in finding your way with MT.:drunk:

Hey Moonglowdiva,

I thought about using it as a leave-in but as it was drying I didn't like how my hair felt. When you leave in your MT is it from DC'ing or right after shampooing? And how much do you leave in? Is it a small amount or just as much as any conditioner? Do you also follow up with a moisturizer? Also do you find that your hair is dull?

I use my MT as a deep condish - rinse out and following up with a combo of AO HSR AND GPB letting it dry in my hair until morning -rinse - then rollerset

Hey Moonglowdiva,

I thought about using it as a leave-in but as it was drying I didn't like how my hair felt. When you leave in your MT is it from DC'ing or right after shampooing? And how much do you leave in? Is it a small amount or just as much as any conditioner? Do you also follow up with a moisturizer? Also do you find that your hair is dull?

I usually have done a d/c when I apply MT. I only apply MT on wash days. I usually just put about a dime size amount on the hair. I concentrate on the ends and the roots. I then spray my hair with another watery leave-in that I doctored up (Infusium). I moisturize with either Wave Nouveau or CFCG but I just use those two on wash days. They're too moisturizing for me to use daily. I have to use moisturizers sparingly :perplexed. I do moisturize 2 x daily though. But, everyones can't take protein on their hair the way I can. My hair is a protein whore. It will break off without it.:grin:

I grease the scalp with Oct everyday. I use Megatek every 2 days as a condish....and wash it out. I don't use it as a DC.

When I grease my scalp with the OCT.. I massage that in.. then I apply Neutragena triple silk lightly to my scalp as well...to avoid the protein overload.

I apply MT to my scalp only every morning before I make my french braid. I will also use it as a rinse out conditioner this weekend. I haven't experienced any drying. I also apply NTM Leave-In to the hair, and I seal with coconut oil and olive oil. This has been working very well thus far.

I wonder the same thing, but I want to liquefy it, y'know? I don't know that I want to add THAT much oil to it.

I started mixing mine with BEE MINE which is a growth oil. In one of those color applicator bottles (6-8 oz.) with the very narrow tip, I put 1.5 oz. of Bee Mine and fill the bottle with MT. It comes out the right consistency for me because while my hair loves sulfur mixes, it absolutely HATES oil!

ETA: I have a mix like this with OCT and a second bottle mixed with MT. I wash my hair 3x's a week. The three days I wash I use the MT mix while rollersetting. The four days a week I don't wash, I use the OCT mix while rollersetting my dry hair.

Last edited:
I started mixing mine with BEE MINE which is a growth oil. In one of those color applicator bottles (6-8 oz.) with the very narrow tip, I put 1.5 oz. of Bee Mine and fill the bottle with MT. It comes out the right consistency for me because while my hair loves sulfur mixes, it absolutely HATES oil!

ETA: I have a mix like this with OCT and a second bottle mixed with MT. I wash my hair 3x's a week. The three days I wash I use the MT mix while rollersetting. The four days a week I don't wash, I use the OCT mix while rollersetting my dry hair.

This intrigues me! I have beemine and MT and I have been grappling with how to use them both. I never thought of mixing them, I have been alternating. How has the mixing worked? I assume you dont have to shake it up everytime because the sulfer doesnt settle because the MT is so creamy. I also ordered OCT which should be here next week so I may just copy your steelo!

Keep us updated on how it works for you please!

Your post is right on time :thumbsup: I just started using a BM+MT mix this week, because I'm trying to get back what a scissor happy stylist took off. My hair is like yours because it does well with the sulfur but hates oil. I mixed mine by eye and I'm also using the applicator bottle. It's a creamy consistency but I put a good amount of the BM in it because I can smell it. I've only applied it once so far (Tues. night) and my head was itching like crazy yesterday. I still have some crawly/itchies today but not as intense. I'm going to apply it again tonight and try to stick with an every other night schedule. I've used both of these in the past and had crazy growth but I was alternating each product. Mixing them both together makes it easier so I'll see what happens.

This intrigues me! I have beemine and MT and I have been grappling with how to use them both. I never thought of mixing them, I have been alternating. How has the mixing worked? I assume you dont have to shake it up everytime because the sulfer doesnt settle because the MT is so creamy. I also ordered OCT which should be here next week so I may just copy your steelo!

I'm using a mix of both too and I had to shake it up. I could see the sulfur settle, but I measured by eye. I wanted to make sure I got enough of both products. It's still creamy but I can also smell the BM.

I shake it up just to be on the safe side!

Someone mentioned that they wondered if MT was a strengthener, and I just wanted to agree with the one who said it was. (Forgive me for not knowing the exact names...they were a few pages back and I wanted to read the entire thread before responding...)

I bought mine from a Horse care supplier here in Britain who also uses it in her hair. She puts it on the length of her hair 1-2x's per week after shampooing and leaves it in for 5-10 minutes. Her use is based on how horse owners treat the horses. They put it on the length of dull, thin manes and tails that they want to grow longer and thicker. Human hair, of course, for the most part cannot stand that much protein, thus the reason for washing it out and following with a moisturizing DC. She said she gained 9.75 inches in a year doing this where she normally gets around 7.5 inches.

I personally saw growth right before I put in my twists by using it on the length of my hair. I only did it once per week - sometimes twice. *spanking myself* I can't say it's done as much by using it on my roots alone. We'll see when I take down.

I hope this is helpful.

cj

Wow at ^^^. So she only used it 2x a week and got growth? I have been using it on my scalp, mixed with castor oil and applying daily. I have done this for just a week. Once I take out my cornrows I will definitely apply it to the length of my hair.
BTW - I am also in UK -where can I buy OCT here? As far as I know it's only available in the US.
muchas gracias.

Last edited:
I shake it up just to be on the safe side!

I too use Bee Mine and MT mixed. I thought about using them alternatively but I figured what the hey....my method may seem crazy so bear with me...

Okay. In the morning, I apply my MT. I then put a plastic cap on and let it soak into my scalp with just a tad of castor oil on the ends. Then I apply the Bee Mine a little later after the MT has been absorbed....usually after about three hours.

I place in a bun and go to work. I'm doing this as we speak and I have the creepy crawlies in my head. I will apply the Bee Mine later and go to work.

I have to say yesterday, my scalp have the creepy crawlies so much, I almost ripped my bun out of my head just to scratch and drive the #6 Jackson Park Express at the same time.

You should have seen me flying down Lake Shore Drive with my hand in my scalp!!!!:rolleyes:

OH ETA;I cowash 1-2x weekly and DC on Sundays.

I apply it daily to my scalp, then seal it with some type of oil sheen. I co-wash once a week, and clarify once a month. I'm not sure if its working because I've never been consistent! LOL.. but that's changing now!

Back