What Was The Hardest Part For You? Stretching Relaxer/Relaxed To Natural

TPayne75

Ok ladies my hair is currently collarbone length. I'm at a crossroads! I'm considering stretching my perm during the summer months to grow out the layers I have and to take a "chemical" break from the perms. I want to get braids to help me do this. So far it's been 9 wks since my last touch up and my hair's starting to wave up ALOT! :eek2:

I've also been tossing around the idea of going natural. I've been a "relaxed" girl since Kiddie Perms first came out so I really don't know how to maintain the true texture of my natural hair. :hair: For those of you who have stretched your relaxers and/or have transitioned back to your natural locks.....What was the hardest part for you?

beans4reezy

The tangling of textures was the hardest part of stretching for me. Be sure that when you get farther into your stretch that you are washing your hair in sections to avoid this. Also, be sure to properly moisturize your new growth as well.

TPayne75

Thanks Beans4reezy. Do you use anything special to moisturize your hair? I have color in my hair so I've been using Creme of Nature's Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry, Brittle Hair and I deep condition once or twice a month w/ V0-5's Cream Intensive conditioning treatment. About those tangles.....mine gets REALLY thick in the top of my head. Sometimes I think I'm going to break the comb! WHOA! :lachen:
The tangling of textures was the hardest part of stretching for me. Be sure that when you get farther into your stretch that you are washing your hair in sections to avoid this. Also, be sure to properly moisturize your new growth as well.

Chevelure618

Thanks Beans4reezy. Do you use anything special to moisturize your hair? I have color in my hair so I've been using Creme of Nature's Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo for Dry, Brittle Hair and I deep condition once or twice a month w/ V0-5's Cream Intensive conditioning treatment. About those tangles.....mine gets REALLY thick in the top of my head. Sometimes I think I'm going to break the comb! WHOA! :lachen:

i've been accused of sounding like a commercial for UltraBlack Hair products, but the Lotion Creme Moisturizer is the BEST for softening and moisturizing the NG. It is almost the way relaxer feels when they finally comb it through the new growth before they rinse it out. This is how I apply it to my hair and for me it STAYS that way!!! soft and moist and smoothed out. Giveit a try!

TPayne75

Chevelure can I get that product at most hair supply stores? :grin: I want to try it.

i've been accused of sounding like a commercial for UltraBlack Hair products, but the Lotion Creme Moisturizer is the BEST for softening and moisturizing the NG. It is almost the way relaxer feels when they finally comb it through the new growth before they rinse it out. This is how I apply it to my hair and for me it STAYS that way!!! soft and moist and smoothed out. Giveit a try!

Chevelure618

No. You can only get it through UltraBlackHair.com. If you go to the website or call, they will give you names of select BSS that sell it. I get mine at Body and Soul Essentials in Yonkers, NY. I buy 2 - 32oz bottles at a time. I NEVER want to runout of that stuff.

normacyri

I've been toying with the idea of transitioning too. I'll look up Ultrablackhair.com too. I'm currently 14 weeks post with a sew-in and trying to make up my mind.

LushLox

What makes the stretches do-able for me are deep conditioning with steam and ensuring my new growth is extremely moisturised.