Tangles in Relaxed Hair When Stretching

princessdi

Girl, I feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work. I used to stretch to 16 weeks but now I'm only going 14 to keep from losing so much hair. So far that hasn't kept the tangles away either and my relaxed ends tangle really bad during the relaxer process even if I coat them with conditioner and oil to protect them.

It's frustrating!!!:perplexed

Lissa0821

I think i must be the only one that combing under the shower doesnt help.... :(

Nope you are not alone, that was the first bandwagon I hopped off quick fast and in a hurry. My hair is fine so the weight of the water and trying to comb it at the same time left hair all over my shower. Believe it or not, applying the LOC method and letting my hair completely dry before detangling works best for me. It is like my hair untangles itself as it dries, I lose very few hairs this way.

But again this was trial and error to figure what worked for me.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Nope you are not alone, that was the first bandwagon I hopped off quick fast and in a hurry. My hair is fine so the weight of the water and trying to comb it at the same time left hair all over my shower. Believe it or not, applying the LOC method and letting my hair completely dry before detangling works best for me. It is like my hair untangles itself as it dries, I lose very few hairs this way.

Same here (at the bolded):yep: I finger detangle as it's drying...as I go about my business.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

@Lissa0821, I use the LOC method when stretching for daily moisturizing/sealing and like it a lot but I haven't incorporated it on wash day as of yet. How do you use the LOC method on wash day? What products do you use?

It's the shampoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

I agree that some shampoos cause my hair to rough up and tangle. What shampoo do you use @almond eyes?

Last edited:

lana

I know there have been a lot of responses....but I'm going to add mine to the pot.

In my opinion Porosity Control is meant to be used along with a chemical service. I use it only when I'm putting in my demi-permanent rinse. Sometimes I skip it all together.

One thing that has helped me stretch my Texlaxed hair is using products that have straightening effects in them to shampoo and condition. I use Redken Smooth Down Conditioner faithfully after week 8 until I relax. It's the only thing that keeps my hair from tangling like crazy. Spray the leave-in conditioner on and then use a bit a chi silk infusion on damp hair and detangle. Amazing!

I probably would have stayed natural if I had discovered Redken Smooth Down and Paul Mitchell Silky Straight before Texlaxing.

I hope this helps someone.

If I rollerset, it's only during the first 6 weeks of my texlax. I never rollerset after week 8 for certain. No way. My hair is too thick for that and I have learned not to force my hair to do anything it doesn't want to. It thanks me by growing to midback length and recently a girl recognized me by...not my face...my hair! (lol)

lana

I usually wear my hair up in a moisturized bun after week eight and I forgot to mention that I use the tension method to blow dry my 4a/b hair.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie

^^^EXACTLY!! I tried detangling in the shower one or twice in the beginning of my hhj and it was horrid. Like Lisa0821 says, my hair is very fine and the weight of the water break my relaxed right off from my NG. I have to be mindful of how long the water is running on my hair at all times. I love the running water on my head but my hair can't handle extended periods. I'm too scared to wait until my hair is mosly dry to detangle so I finger detangle until its almost dry. I stretch my NG out with my large detangling comb but never comb the length. I have never stretched beyond 14 weeks, I'm working on 16 weeks this time but at any sight of severe breakage, I won't hesitate to relax.

Last edited:

Lissa0821

@Lissa0821, I use the LOC method when stretching for daily moisturizing/sealing and like it a lot but I haven't incorporated it on wash day as of yet. How do you use the LOC method on wash day? What products do you use?

I agree that some shampoos cause my hair to rough up and tangle. What shampoo do you use @almond eyes?

divachyk
After my final rinse in the shower, I try to keep my hair as straight as possible. My deep conditioner with a lot of slip help out a lot. I cover my head with a plastic cap to keep my hair as wet as possible. After I get out of the shower, I cover myself with a towel and remove the plastic cap still trying to keep my hair going back as straight as possible. I spray on a liquid leave-in (Crème of Nature Argan or Aussie Moist liquid leave-in). Next I apply my oil mixture (sunflower, grapeseed and castor oil) to my ends first ( usually a nickel size amount) and a little less to the remainder of my hair. Lastly, I apply a cream leave-in the same manner as the oil. I will use NTM, Lacio Lacio or Granier Fructis. I smooth my hairline with my fingers (it should still be slightly wet). I tie a scarf around the front along the hairline, the back hang down and let my hair drip dry. Since my hair is fine it really does take long maybe 45 minutes to an hour, if I don’t have time I will usually blow dry after about 30 minutes. Once my hair is dry, I then detangle it pretty much without any issues.

divachyk

@divachyk
After my final rinse in the shower, I try to keep my hair as straight as possible. My deep conditioner with a lot of slip help out a lot. I cover my head with a plastic cap to keep my hair as wet as possible. After I get out of the shower, I cover myself with a towel and remove the plastic cap still trying to keep my hair going back as straight as possible. I spray on a liquid leave-in (Crème of Nature Argan or Aussie Moist liquid leave-in). Next I apply my oil mixture (sunflower, grapeseed and castor oil) to my ends first ( usually a nickel size amount) and a little less to the remainder of my hair. Lastly, I apply a cream leave-in the same manner as the oil. I will use NTM, Lacio Lacio or Granier Fructis. I smooth my hairline with my fingers (it should still be slightly wet). I tie a scarf around the front along the hairline, the back hang down and let my hair drip dry. Since my hair is fine it really does take long maybe 45 minutes to an hour, if I don’t have time I will usually blow dry after about 30 minutes. Once my hair is dry, I then detangle it pretty much without any issues.

@Lissa0821
Which DC are you using? My DCners vary but my staple in Kenra Moisutrizing.

I LOC with using BM Juicy, Oil of choice, Pura Body Moisture Milk.

I just ran out of BM Juicy :lick: and will use Oyin J&B in its place until I reup on BM Juicy. I'm searching for a good oil. I like castor but it's so thick it tugs & causes tiny breaks of my strands. Maybe I was using too much oil. I'll make sure I use a nickel size amount.

How do you get product down in your ng? Does your spritz pretty much hydrate your ng area? I love spritzes for ng hydration. I struggled repeatedly with getting ng moisturized when using creamy products. The spritz hits the spot perfectly.

Lissa0821

@Lissa0821
Which DC are you using? My DCners vary but my staple in Kenra Moisutrizing.

I LOC with using BM Juicy, Oil of choice, Pura Body Moisture Milk.

I just ran out of BM Juicy :lick: and will use Oyin J&B in its place until I reup on BM Juicy. I'm searching for a good oil. I like castor but it's so thick it tugs & causes tiny breaks of my strands. Maybe I was using too much oil. I'll make sure I use a nickel size amount.

How do you get product down in your ng? Does your spritz pretty much hydrate your ng area? I love spritzes for ng hydration. I struggled repeatedly with getting ng moisturized when using creamy products. The spritz hits the spot perfectly.

divachyk I have been using Creme of Nature Argan Oil conditioner with a small amount of honey and oil faithfully for the past few months.

For my new growth, I left out one step from my earlier thread, I part my hair with the rattail comb and grease my scalp lightly. I make no effort to comb through my hair at all, just lightly part my hair while I grease each area. As my hair dries, I will spitz with water once I have covered my entire scalp I proceed with the LOC. I have been using Ultra Sheen Satin Creme Press since last year, a very small amount. It seems to work better the wetter my hair is. I will admit my hair does not dry with a swingy, flowing feel but it looks much thicker. Also, even though I use several products, I have to have a light touch to keep my hair from being weighed down.

hottopic

janeemat said:
Wow...thanks ladies! I have just now able to get back to this thread. There is so much info in this thread....some I've already tried and some that I have not tried. But after digressing I've had a chance to think back through this journey and have really come up with the dos and don't of my hair. I will be relaxing this weekend and for real this time....NEVER EVER another long stretch. I realize that stretching has thinned out my hair. Thinking back, my hair was at it's best when I joined this site and begun getting relaxed 8-11 wks post. It was much thicker and I never lost so much hair when washing and styling. So that is what it will for now on. After I relax this time, I may get a nice trim back above APL. I'm going to prepoo, deep cond, cowash, bun and the works to get it back in tip top shape......and let it swing in the wind. That way if I ever transition I will start off with much healthier and thicker hair.

Congrats on working it out. Sometimes it's best to take it back to basics and not over do it.

sonychari

@Raspberry

I think you'll be very, very pleased. :yep:

I was desperate to find a way to end the Nightmare of Knotting/Matting/Loc'ing at the NG area.

I was practically in tears, because I could not figure out how to totally, successfully prevent this from happening.

The Denman Comb removes Sheds, Knots, Tangles, Mats by getting down to the NG and working through your hair.

Using that comb on wash day, totally solved that issue for me. And the use of a good detangling lotion/spray/creme.

Keep us posted in this thread on your Results.

Do use the comb on wet or dry hair? Do you do it in the shower under running water?

sonychari

@Raspberry

I think you'll be very, very pleased. :yep:

I was desperate to find a way to end the Nightmare of Knotting/Matting/Loc'ing at the NG area.

I was practically in tears, because I could not figure out how to totally, successfully prevent this from happening.

The Denman Comb removes Sheds, Knots, Tangles, Mats by getting down to the NG and working through your hair.

Using that comb on wash day, totally solved that issue for me. And the use of a good detangling lotion/spray/creme.

Keep us posted in this thread on your Results.

Do u use the comb on wet or dry hair? Do you do it in the shower under running water?

classoohfive

Ok IDareT'sHair I have made two purchases today because of this thread (the internet is the devil :lol:) I feel like $20 is worth a detangling experiment though.

So I will try this Denman comb after I use PM The Detangler - the slip is impressive. I will also use the electronic tangle tamer thingy SmileyNY recommended if the first thing doesn't work.

Raspberry did you receive your products yet and how do you like them? I'm trying not to buy new hair products for a while so I'm asking for a friend. :look:

Raspberry

@Raspberry did you receive your products yet and how do you like them? I'm trying not to buy new hair products for a while so I'm asking for a friend. :look:

classoohfive Yep, I got the products last week. I tried the comb in the shower after using conditioner.. I couldn't get it through my hair. The teeth were closer together than I anticipated.. I haven't tried the electric detangler yet but I'll do so by Monday :yep:

Raspberry

classoohfive SmileyNY

So I used the Tangle Tamer today and it worked really well! After a wash/condition I used it on hair that had been t-shirt dried to about 75% and had various leave-ins in it. I divided my hair into 8 sections and it was a no-brainer from there, you basically use it as you would a comb, starting from the ends and working your way up. The difference is you don't have to pull/tug to get the comb through, you let the vibrating teeth do the work.

It still took some time - I had a lot of shed hair come out (next to no breakage) and I had to acknowledge that I haven't been fully detangling like I should, thus the matting and bad tangles. If I start using the TT earlier on in my stretch than my tangling issues won't have the chance to get so bad.

I'll definitely use the TT again! :yep::yep::yep:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
classoohfive SmileyNY

So I used the Tangle Tamer today and it worked really well! After a wash/condition I used it on hair that had been t-shirt dried to about 75% and had various leave-ins in it. I divided my hair into 8 sections and it was a no-brainer from there, you basically use it as you would a comb, starting from the ends and working your way up. The difference is you don't have to pull/tug to get the comb through, you let the vibrating teeth do the work.

It still took some time - I had a lot of shed hair come out (next to no breakage) and I had to acknowledge that I haven't been fully detangling like I should, thus the matting and bad tangles. If I start using the TT earlier on in my stretch than my tangling issues won't have the chance to get so bad.

Raspberry,

I may have to try this tangle tamer out. Thanks for the review.

classoohfive

classoohfive SmileyNY

Raspberry thanks for the update! Glad it worked for you.

I just finished a two day detangling session a few days ago. :angry2: Between my fingers aching and being frustrated I had to take a few breaks so it took forever, and I've been finger detangling ever since so it won't get too bad. I also don't fully detangle as often as I should, especially when I get deeper in my stretches because I'm so afraid of breakage between my NG and texlaxed hair. Which just ends with breakage later when I have to deal with bad tangles and some matting anyway. :ohwell: I'm going to put this on my wishlist. Thanks again!

SmileyNY

Raspberry said:
classoohfive SmileyNY

Thanks for sharing your experience Raspberry! I've been trying to tell ppl about this thing and most are apprehensive because it's electronic. It works really well & I hope they never stop making it.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

divachyk

Thanks for sharing your experience @Raspberry! I've been trying to tell ppl about this thing and most are apprehensive because it's electronic. It works really well & I hope they never stop making it.

SmileyNY, I must admit I'm apprehensive because I used the tangle teezer and it resulted in mid-shaft splits. As a result, I have hesitation to using anything that remotely resembles or performs like the tangle teezer.

SmileyNY

divachyk said:
SmileyNY, I must admit I'm apprehensive because I used the tangle teezer and it resulted in mid-shaft splits. As a result, I have hesitation to using anything that remotely resembles or performs like the tangle teezer.

divachyk I understand being cautious when another product has failed in the past. However, the Tangle Tamer is nothing like the tangle teaser. The Teaser has hundreds of little bristles for hair to get snagged on. The tamer has only 8 "teeth" that are about 5mm wide & a quarter inch apart. Also, they move at their own pace, so you don't control it. Unfortunately, when you google tangle tamer the first results that pop up show a scary looking denman-like brush :lol: That's a different product. Also, pictures of the actual Tangle Tamer are a bit deceiving b/c it looks small. It's actually fairly large. It's about the size of a curling iron & the part that does the detangling is about 3 inches long.

Attachments

• image-717953133.jpg
    image-717953133.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 12
  • image-2774673221.jpg
    image-2774673221.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

divachyk

SmileyNY, I know they look and work differently but I'm just nervous about it. You know how it is, after being burned one time, you just can't allow yourself to go back down a path again. I might consider at some point but my pain is still to fresh to take the plunge. :lol:

SmileyNY

divachyk said:
SmileyNY, I know they look and work differently but I'm just nervous about it. You know how it is, after being burned one time, you just can't allow yourself to go back down a path again. I might consider at some point but my pain is still to fresh to take the plunge. :lol:

divachyk Definitely understood. Do you currently finger detangle?

SmileyNY

divachyk said:
SmileyNY - a little of both: finger and comb detangling.

Ok. I was wondering. Ever since I started using the tamer, I'm more afraid of combs. I really am lol. I use a large plastic wide tooth comb in the shower. Other than that, I only use combs to part these days. I've been spoiled lol. I use my fingers a lot as well.

Americka

SmileyNY I finally used my Tangle Tamer today. I cannot thank you enough for recommending it to another poster. I bought it to use on my niece's hair (her mother doesn't know what to do with it other than a fully tangled puff), but I decided to test it on my new growth jungle. I ended up with totally detangled hair in less than 10 minutes. :)

lovebug10

janeemat try using something with more slip. I stretch my relaxers and rollerset in between but I add paul mitchell super skinny serum (GVP version from sallys is like like 90% cheaper & works just as well). It gives ALOT OF SLIP so its easy to detangle and set the hair