What Other (Delicious) Ways Can I Use Up This Whey Protein Powder?

KiniKakes

Hi Ladies!

I am preparing my summer time regimen, and have been thinking about going back to the protein shakes.... or some variation of them.

I had bought a HUGE tub of Whey Protein Powder from GNC last year, and i only got thru about half the tub before i couldnt stand the taste of mango/peach anymore. :mad: Yuuuuck!!!! It was tolerable in the beginning............ then it became so nasty to me. Just thick and chalky and gross. I thought I was gonna turn into a mango.

Anyhoo...... i was thinking of being creative with the remaining powder and using it in different ways. In particular, I'd like to make a Smoothie...... a la Jamba Juice/Orange Julius/Smoothie King.

Has anyone made a smoothie or actual shake with their Protein Powder? I mean, adding ingredients to the powder aside from water or skim milk.... to make it taste sweet and delicious?

I dont wanna make it too fattening..... but im thinking of adding frozen yoghurt (or regular yoghurt), fresh fruit, honey or some kind of juice to sweeten it, ice.....? I dont know, just throwing ideas around. Either way, i would drink it in lieu of a meal (since protein is so filling), so if it is around 350 calories or so that's fine.

If you make smoothies, what is your recipe? What else have you done with your protein powder? Please help me think of some creative ways to use this powder up!

Gracias Amigas!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

imstush

In addition to the frozen yogurt you can also try adding fruits to it. There is a site with some recipes, I will try and see if I can find it and post back.

cocoa32

Well, I've never tried anything other than Vanilla protein powder. But I make smoothies all the time. I use either fresh squeezed o.j. or the mango/passion juice blend from Trader Joe's. I add banana and whatever frozen fruit I'm in the mood for. Frozen fruit keeps you from not needing ice, plus it's a lot less expensive than fresh. I also add plain yogurt (non-fat Greek Style yogurt has more protein than regular yogurt). I then blend. Since the juice is sweet I don't need any honey or sugar. Sometimes I add a small dab of vanilla extract.

One of my favorites is the mango/passion juice, 1/2 banana, plain yogurt, the pineapple/mango/papaya frozen fruit blend from TJ's, and a squeeze of lime. Yummy!

I hope that helps!

SvelteVelvet

I just bought a big old tub of vanilla whey powder last week from Walmart for 11.94! There is 23g of protein in each scoop and they recommend two servings a day. I've only mixed it in plain old milk so far but I want to incorporate some fat free vanilla ice creme or something to make it more enjoyable. I don't mind it, but I would like for it to taste like a treat as well.

dimpalz

What are the benefits of protein? I mean why are you taking it? I know body builders and fitness experts recommend it but what for and how? - not to hijack or anything :sekret:

preciousjewel76

dimpalz said:
What are the benefits of protein? I mean why are you taking it? I know body builders and fitness experts recommend it but what for and how? - not to hijack or anything :sekret:

Here are some links about the benefits of protein (whey protein, in particular):

http://www.energyfirst.com/site/files/Health-Benefits-Whey-Protein.htm

http://www.busywomensfitness.com/whey-protein.html

ETA: I am very particular about the type of protein powder that I buy. So many of them contain lots of sugar or sugar alternatives, or cheap fillers, which I try to avoid. Personally, I prefer Jay Robb Whey Protein. It's more expensive than other brands, but it tastes wonderful, it isn't chalky, and it doesn't have anything in it that I can't pronounce. Always read the nutrition labels, because some protein powders can be surprisingly high in calories, too!

Last edited:

KiniKakes

Ladies, thank you for all these wonderful tips and suggestions! Some of your concoctions sounds absolutely amazing!!!!! :grin: I cant wait to go grocery shopping again! Im gonna buy the ingredients then! :) I'd like to make a smooth that tastes like an orange-sicle.

Does anyone add the powder to cooked or baked food?

Cayenne0622

KiniKakes said:
Hi Ladies!

I am preparing my summer time regimen, and have been thinking about going back to the protein shakes.... or some variation of them.

I had bought a HUGE tub of Whey Protein Powder from GNC last year, and i only got thru about half the tub before i couldnt stand the taste of mango/peach anymore. :mad: Yuuuuck!!!! It was tolerable in the beginning............ then it became so nasty to me. Just thick and chalky and gross. I thought I was gonna turn into a mango.

Anyhoo...... i was thinking of being creative with the remaining powder and using it in different ways. In particular, I'd like to make a Smoothie...... a la Jamba Juice/Orange Julius/Smoothie King.

Has anyone made a smoothie or actual shake with their Protein Powder? I mean, adding ingredients to the powder aside from water or skim milk.... to make it taste sweet and delicious?

I dont wanna make it too fattening..... but im thinking of adding frozen yoghurt (or regular yoghurt), fresh fruit, honey or some kind of juice to sweeten it, ice.....? I dont know, just throwing ideas around. Either way, i would drink it in lieu of a meal (since protein is so filling), so if it is around 350 calories or so that's fine.

If you make smoothies, what is your recipe? What else have you done with your protein powder? Please help me think of some creative ways to use this powder up!

Kini - I can't remember the brand I was on but it was from GNC. I was making delicious smoothies everyday in my blender. Vanilla protein powder, ice, frozen fruits (from the freezer section in the grocery store), a little bit of sugar in the raw (the good stuff, not the white bleached sugar) and I believe that was it! I would do strawberry banana like it was going out of style. Unfortunately, I broke out something terrible. After seeing the dermatologist a few times, I determined that it was the protein drink. My skin started clearing up as soon as I stopped drinking it but it left lots of scars behind...I'm all better now though. I sure hate it. I was getting all ripped with my protein and now I can't have it. boo hoo!
Good luck, girlly! I'm jealous right now. :lol:

imstush

KiniKakes said:
Ladies, thank you for all these wonderful tips and suggestions! Some of your concoctions sounds absolutely amazing!!!!! :grin: I cant wait to go grocery shopping again! Im gonna buy the ingredients then! :) I'd like to make a smooth that tastes like an orange-sicle.

Does anyone add the powder to cooked or baked food?

Here is the link Kinikakes

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/proteinshakes.htm

Adding powder to cooked food, that's interesting. I never have.

Last edited:

preciousjewel76

Designer Whey has some recipes on it's website for cooked foods with whey protein added:

http://www.designerwhey.com/
click on the "Recipes" link on the lower right side of the page

I've been meaning to make muffins or pancakes with my vanilla whey protein, I just never got around to trying it.

*Michelle*

Kini, I'm glad you started this thread! I just joined the 3 month protien challenge and after I dumped the first couple of cups and finally forced myself to finish drink the third (mixed with soy milk) I was thinking how on earth am I going to get this THICK stuff down on a regular basis! I bought Spiru-tein, and actually the flavor is good...taste like strawberry milk (which I LOVE)...just soooo thick!

Thanks for all the tips and recipes!

Hey, you guys should join the protien challenge!

PaulaDiddy

Yup, love the whey protein powder. The Designer Whey is the best for me.

If I have the vanilla, I mix it with fruit and yogurt and add some granola for a great snack or blend it with milk and fruits for a great breakfast smoothie.

If I have the chocolate flavor, I blend it with milk, peanut butter, and bananas. Hmmmm,mm good.

PatTodd

With your mango/peach whey powder, you can make smoothies as the others have mentioned with any or all of the following ingredients: frozen strawberries, peaches, or other fruit, 1/2 to 1 container of (light) yogurt, a splash of milk or flavored sparkling water, and maybe a touch of Splenda. You can probably add all these ingredients and stay under 350 calories easily if you keep your smoothie to 8 ounces or so.

You can also make some baked goods with whey protein - search "protein pancakes" or "protein muffins" on the internet or on bodybuilding sites such as Body for Life and you will find many recipes. You can also add a scoop or so to instant pudding mix (maybe vanilla for the mango/peach protein) and blend it up until it's smooth.

preciousjewel76

I mix my vanilla protein powder with plain nonfat yogurt and frozen berries, and I eat this for breakfast most days of the week. I also add ground golden flaxseeds sometimes.

KiniKakes

OMG, thanks ya'all!!!!!!!!!!! :D These are all such great ideas!!!!!

Yaaaay!!!!! Looks like im gonna end up using the rest of this horrid protein powder up after all!!!!! Im so happy!!! :)

Arcadian

Yep. I make a protien smoothie daily (2 times a day actually)

I tend to stick with vanilla so I can use what ever I want, but since you're working with mango/peach you may want to try this:

4 tablespoons PLAIN Yogurt
1/2 cup orange juice
1 scoop protien powder
Bout handful of frozen fruit (mango, peach, or whatever your choice)
Option: milk. (I say optional because its up to you what you want)
1 tablespoon flax oil

in blender, put frozen fruit, and yogurt, blend until smooth. Add orange juice and milk, blend until combined. Add one scoop protien powder, and flax oil, blend for 10-20 seconds. should be combined by then.

Pour into glass and enjoy.

Word of caution, it sort of makes a big drink, so you may want to play around with those measurements.

Most of the time I use non homogenized yogurt. (its organic and made local) You may not have that option, but plain yogurt works just fine...but you may want to add more for your taste.

I personally like to go without milk on occassion. Sometimes I use plain Silk Soy Milk (its in the green carton)

You can pretty much do and use whatever you want.

-A

Proudpiscean

KiniKakes said:
Hi Ladies!

I tried something new and it turned out delicious! After making banana pudding I had some left over Jello brand instant pudding banana cream flavor (the kind that comes in the little box) I blended it with Silk soy milk (vanilla) about 10 oz, a few spoons of plain yogurt, a scoop of the whey protein and a little ice. I threw it all in the blender and it was creamy & yummy! :love: :lick: .......wish I had thought of it a long time ago!
I went back to the store and bought some more instant pudding mix in all different flavors: chocolate fudge, cheesecake, lemon, and french vanilla. I can't wait to try all the flavors! :lol:

ETA: You don't have to use much pudding mix to get the flavor, I only used about a tablespoon!

Last edited:

CurleeDST

I was drinking Jay Robb's Whey Protein last summer prior to my high energy highly intense workouts on the treadmill and with weights. It is a bit more expensive but tastes GREAT! I think I received a 1 lb tub for $20 plus S&H. It has 25 grams of protein per serving.

I normally make smoothies w/ the following:

1. 1 cup organic peach mango juice by Adam and Eve (can buy in bulk at BJs or Sams Club)
2. Handful of fresh pineapple
3. Handful of fresh blueberries
4. Handful of fresh strawberries
5. 4 ice cubes
6. 1 organic banana peeled (helps to make the smoothie creamy so you do not need milk)
7. I scoop of whey protein (optional)

Blend until smooth, serve and drink immediately. In about 30 minutes start your workout! You will have energy for DAYS! This is also good to make and drink on your way to work in the morning. Will keep you satiated until noontime lunch. Couple with plain oatmeal with a dash of milk and brown sugar - you will be STRAIGHT!

Here is Jackie Warner's Protein Breakfast Shake:

The Skysport Protein Shake Recipe:

2 cups of organic mixed berries
1 scoop of mega green powder
1 serving of whey protein powder
1 tbsp of flaxseed oil
1 tbsp of liquid amino acids
1 cup of ice
mix in blender

In addition to the shake she also has one cup of oatmeal.

Last edited: