What order do you put your products on?

Kinky4Agirl

Hi Ladies,
I was wondering if it matters in what order we put our products in our hair. I have always been concerned if I need to put my leave in on my hair first and then my green tea spray. Or if I need to put my honey homemade concoction on first before I put conditioner on for deep conditioning with my hooded dryer. Please list the order you put your products on your hair. I need an idea if I am doing it right.
Thanks ladies!

My order for...
Prepoo -> Oils then conditioners
detangle
shampoo
rinse conditioner
DC - usually i just mix up a DC but if you put on multiple products i'd probably apply the product that is the most "heavy duty" or "important" first.
heated cap
rinse
apply light leave in first .. like sprays then creamier ones after
sealing oils
serums etc.

I think you are going to have to try a couple of different methods and see what works for you. I am not sure there is a one-size fits all approach.

Here is what works for me as a natural, with low-normal porosity, fine to medium-coarse texture, 4a/4b curl pattern.

Leave-in: oil first on wet hair, conditioner as leave-in, and thicker moisturizer/cream as a final step. I usually go 2-3 days (or if I am changing styles) before moisturizing again.

Deep conditioning - when I deep condition, I don't mix anything so I just put the deep conditioner on as is.

Hello...I think the green tea spritz is for strength right? So I would put that on 1st then the LI for moisture. As for the conditioners which ever one you feel like using at the time or mix a little bit of both and apply. If your other dcs are protein based apply that 1st and then f/up with your honey concoction since it will be more moisturizing. HTH!

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

My general rules for dry DC's/pre poo's are:
Liquid first
Protein under moisture
Honey/agave over conditioner
Oil last

Leave ins:
Liquid
Oil
Conditioner
Oil

ETA:
Order for when washing with my various rinses:
Tea/coffee/coconut milk mix, then oil then conditoner

Hi Ladies,
I was wondering if it matters in what order we put our products in our hair. I have always been concerned if I need to put my leave in on my hair first and then my green tea spray. Or if I need to put my honey homemade concoction on first before I put conditioner on for deep conditioning with my hooded dryer. Please list the order you put your products on your hair. I need an idea if I am doing it right.
Thanks ladies!

Both your green tea spray and your leave-in should be water based so it shouldn't matter.

Not sure about the homemade concoction because it would depend on what's in it. You may want to try 1 side with the concotion and conditioner and 1 side with the conditioner and see if you can tell the difference. It will also depend on what type of conditioner you are using. Are you using a real DC or a rinse out conditioner.

Many ladies on the board use the LOC method for application (liquid oil, cream/butter).

There is no one size fits all though. This will vary with your porosity as well as with your strand type. You will still have to play around with it to see what works for you.

Wow! Ladies thank you for all your responses. Each and every one of you have helped in one way or the other. Water based first and in order of importance. Got it!!!

The pH of the item determines the order of application in my regimen.

Neutral, pH = 7.0
Skin/Hair, pH = 5.5

pH > 7.0 = basic
pH < 7.0 = acid

Basic solutions raises the hair cuticles. Acidic solutions closes the hair cuticles.

Shampoos, co-washes, cleansers, DC should have pHs above 5.5 to open the cuticles, clean and allow moisture in.

Leave-ins, moisturizers, etc should have pHs below 5.5 in order to close the cuticles and "lock-in" moisture.

Once I figured this out, the health of my hair took off.

Last edited:
I have fine, dense, normal porosity 4B coily hair. My product order depends on the season &/or the style.
In the summer, I general do: LCO. The products matter less for my hair than the process.
In the winter, I do: LOCB.
I vary the order depending on how hot, humid, cold, and/or windy it is outside. I also vary the density of products. Warmer weather gets lighter products (more cowashing, jojoba oil, humectants), while cooler weather gets heavier products (castor oil, nut butter based conditioners etc).
Generally, I cleanse my hair once a week. In the summer that can be 2-3 times/week with a light cowash. My wash day is like a spa day.
*Overnight to 1 hr coconut prepoo
*Cleanse
*DC with steam or hooded dryer
*ACV or AVJ rinse
*Cold water rinse if I used ACV
*Liquid/Leave-in
*Cream
*Oil
*OR I will prepoo > DC > cleanse > use a rinse-out conditioner>>> and complete the rest as normal with the above modifications.
For loose or out styles, I'm likelier to use LCO. For structured styles (intricate cornrows or a twisted updo) or styles meant to last awhile (2+ weeks), I'm likelier to use LOC or LOCB.
My hair almost always stays moisturzed until wash day.
HTH! :)

via LHCF App

The pH of the item determines the order of application in my regimen.

Neutral, pH = 7.0
Skin/Hair, pH = 5.5

pH > 7.0 = basic
pH < 7.0 = acid

Basic solutions raises the hair cuticles. Acidic solutions closes the hair cuticles.

Shampoos, co-washes, cleansers, DC should have pHs above 5.5 to open the cuticles, clean and allow moisture in.

Leave-ins, moisturizers, etc should have pHs below 5.5 in order to close the cuticles and "lock-in" moisture.

Once I figured this out, the health of my hair took off.

Ohh i never thought about order of application by pH...mhmm off to research!

Oil on wet hair, then leave in
Butter on top if im in a protective style
Styling product then serum on top for wash & go

for styling:

watery tea spray (my leave in)
butter
gel (rarely use)
oil
...that's it.

Pre-poo is usually just coconut oil

For wash/dc..Depending on what my hair needs,I may do a pre poo first,ACV rinse...

After-
Rinse-out con
Leave-in
Moisturizer cream
Butter
Oil-to seal..

Spring/summer for wash-n-goes
-co wash
-Dc
-Moisturizing Leave-in
-Little oil on ends
-Style product..

Happy Hair Growing!

My order:
Co-wash with wash out conditioner
Detangle with conditioner
Rinse
DC for a couple of hours
Rinse
wait until damp, not wet
Apply leave-in to sections while styling
every few days apply coconut-oil
that's it :)

Hot oil treatment Pre poo
Shampoo bar
Leave in conditioner
Oil

Those are the only four products I use now and I always make sure to use the oil last on damp or nearly dry hair because water repels oil.

When braids arent in

Pre poo- heated coconut oil
Detangle
Shampoo diluted shea moisture raw shampoo 1 time
Possible protein conditioner
Giovanni deep moisture conditioner

1/4 ACV AND 3/4 WATER RINSE

Squeeze excess water
Apply shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie or qhemet brbc
Seal with castor oil

When u have twists or braids in I get lazy and mostly only shampoo apply shea moist ces or qhemet and seal with castor oil

This week I got lazy and didn't prepoo but I co-washed with eden (trying to use it up even though I hate it) acv rinsed applied creme and sealed

Liquid, cream, oil(, butter) for leave in's and moisturizers

Oil, Shampoo, Reconstructive Treatment, Tea, Moisturizing DC for washing

Tea, DC, Conditioner for Cowashing

Back