What made you seek out Internet Hair Boards?

smooches

<font color="red"> i had been switching back and forth between relaxing my hair and wearing it natural for about eight years. both ways, my hair was breaking BIG TIME. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

last september i decided to focus on wearing my hair relaxed, and i wanted to learn the "secrets" /images/graemlins/sekret.gif of taking care of my hair this way. i found the super growout forum and i learned some helpful info. including bargello's vitamin regimen. i figured "bargello" must have a website somewhere, soooo i did a search. i never did find a site for her, but i typed in "relaxed hair care" and voila...i found my way here. been addicted since then. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

(i love the energy here, btw. i love how everyone seems to take ownership of this site...that really makes this a superior forum!) /images/graemlins/smile.gif
</font>

krngi819

I started looking for information on-line because I was frustrated with the black hair mags not really giving any good information. I had long hair as a child and wanted to know how to have it again. I have learned more in the last seven months from everyone on this site, it's amazing. Thank you /images/graemlins/grin.gif

moni

as a child my hair was really long and thick. After recently having my hair cut back in Sep. 2002, I wanted to find a way to stop my hair from breaking. I did a search on the internet and ran into afrohair.com. The board was really nice until a troll appeared and that affected my enjoyment of the board. So when someone posted an alternative link (LHCF) I decided to come on over. Been here ever since. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paris Belle

My story is also similar to some of the posts here.

I was always into hair, especially when a friend of mine started a competition between us to see who could grow their hair the longest. In addition, my cousin did too. Well, we both won and failed. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Our hair would grow, but then because of bad habits it would break off or split and we would have to trim. We're no longer friends, but I still kept the challenge.

No one understood it, including my mother. Everyone thought I was crazy. I didn't know how to care for my hair properly and I wanted miraculous results in a bottle. I really thought that the right product would solve all of my problems (Thanks Adrienne for curing me of that.)

One day, I was on the WWW board and we were talking about hair care and health and someone posted a link to this site. Well, I went and I was AMAZED. So much information from knowledgable people. It was great!! I lurked for awhile because I was too intimidated to join. Finally, I had a question, and decided to join...And the rest is history... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nicetameecha

A friend told me about this board and I have been SPRUNG from the first time I checked it out.

I don't post much but I am on this site faithfully every day. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am addicted /images/graemlins/lick.gif and so very thankful /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif for all of the help and advice that I have found.

<font color="blue"> Truly ladies, I am grateful for this site. I hope to serve as an inspiration to someone some day, the way so many of you have inspired me. </font> /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

LuvableLady

3 Simple reasons:

1. I have a computer
2. I have internet access
3. Wanting to know more, not just about hair but about anything I’m interested in.

Those things make it easy for me to seek out information that I’m interested in, whatever that might be at the moment.

That’s exactly how it happened, one day I decided to do a search on hair and to my surprise I found several different hair boards loaded with all this info that was right at my fingertips. I’ve always said if people are interested if their hair, they will seek out the information for themselves as it’s at all of our fingertips........all it takes is a few keystrokes and an interest.

azul11

I think a while ago i did a search for growing long hair and then i came across longhairlovers.com. i was shocked because i never knew there were places people go to talk about hair. i then saw other sites at yahoo for hair as well and joined. i got to this site basically after the whole thing that happened once the format of longhairlovers was changed and then parts of it was changed into a paid site. then i got a link that said this site was coming up and i joined. i wish i could be more of a contributor as far as advice but i find even after all these years of being on these hair sites i still am learning. its hard when you have setbacks and realize not everyone has your best interest at heart so hair sites are like a support group to get you back on track. with this site i found a place to get trims (thanks brh /images/graemlins/wave.gif) i learned curl activator isnt only for jherri curls, btw i was always wondering why they still sold it considering i dont see a lot of people with jherri curls. i learned about that lye was better for my hair than no lye and water could be my friend. even though this site can make you into a product junkie i learned in my case it works to my advantage. i know of people who have tried a product and it has worked for them instead of me buying all the junk products am i not even sure worked for anybody. plus i usually wait to see the pros on this site approve a product before i put it on my to try list. i respect the opinions of a lot of these ladies on the hair board for thei insight and knowledge and it is hard to have a half hour conversation about hair with people in your everyday life without them thinking you are obsessed. sometimes you need a spot where you can talk about hair and not feel crazy. and plus the results are rewarding as well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif God bless you all.

Lucia

I was specifically looking for vitamins to make my hair grow back faster, thick, and healthy b/c a freind of mine mentioned that she lost all her waist length hair from hair abuseand illness, and she said her family sent her hair vitamins from Mexico. Her hair is 3bc thick past tailbone, needless to say I started searching determined to find somthing and luckily I landed on LHL and those ladies all praised vitamins. /images/graemlins/look.gif

adrienne0914

it all started for me through Hair Boutique. i purchased the HF37 vitamins from them way back when. anyway, they had a link to Devjam's site. on her site, there was a link to BHSGO (THANKS, DEVJAM!!!). i lurked there for a couple of weeks the decided to join. the rest, as they say, is history.

i feel SO blessed!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

patticake

hello everyone, i'm the new kid on the block.
i've been seeking internet hair boards for some honest answers. my hairdresser has laughed at my questions for the last time. i've been going to her since i was 11, 8 yrs. she grew my hair to 27 inches. however it was very fine. i wanted it more thicker when i got older so last year i asked her to trim it in layers. instead she chopped off all my hair where it was left ear length! i had to start all over. eventually it reached 16 inches, so i was more optimistic. she noticed how fast it grew back and told me i needed another trim. i agreed and once again she cut it to my ears! /images/graemlins/mad.gif this woman has never trimmed my hair in 8 years, however when i gave her the 1st ok she's been obsessed since. she's always trying to trim my hair now. unfortunately now my hair is only 10 inches long, and i want to reach 27 or past that oneday. after that i had braids for a while, a friends mom did them. when i took them out is left my hair extremely brittle and i had a lot of breakage. /images/graemlins/frown.gif now my hair is brittle, damaged, and frizzy. i have become very focused on finding a better hair regimen. part of that focus was on the internet, i sought out as many sites as i could. as a result i've found this one, which is my favorite! i've read what all you ladies has had to say and has taken a lil something from each of your advice. i hope you'll all help me in any little way you can to develop the healthy hair i used to have. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Kitkat

I sought out internet hair boards because I was tired of jacking my hair up every time I removed braids &amp; wanted to learn how to keep the length I gained.

Welcome to the board, Patticake! First of all, I would never let that stylist near my hair again with a pair of shears!! Also, when you had braids, how often did you shampoo and moisturize? Shampooing and moisturizing are very important when your hair is braided, and if your hair remains dry while in braids breakage is inevitable. Tell us a little more about your current regime, and we'll be able to weigh in with more advice! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

skegeesmb

I was at work one day and I was bored so I surfed the net. For some reason I started looking for sites with black women and maybe some hair secrets that I didn't know about. I figured that the net would have some free information, and then I found the hair boards, the first one I found was Black Hair Care Forum, I don't even remember my name back then. Then I stumbled unto BHSGO around 99' and I know some of you members from that site and Long Hair Lovers. My name on BHSGO was sexy178.

The funniest thing though is that I did a search on BHSGO one time and I remember that Adrienne said she was going to participate in the challenge. I wanted to go natural with Portae but I got a relaxer. I also remember Jade21 on LHL. I remember when her hair wasn't even waist length yet. Jeez I must be a internet nerd. So when I go to boards it's funny to see old screen names.

Leshia

I stumbled upon this one (when it was on the older site) and lurked until you moved. I think I found it while looking for information on curling hair or something like that. I can't even remember. It's not even been a year but this one definitely made me finally want to join one. You were all having too much fun! I don't think my hair would be shoulder length if I had not come here. A spark was ignited in me just reading about your passion for hair. I think we ought to consider publishing a book. This is just amazing...

VALLEYGIRL

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Jeez I must be a internet nerd. So when I go to boards it's funny to see old screen names.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! so don't feel bad I remember old screen names too

patticake

-kitkat-

my friend's mom didn't even tell me to keep my hair moisturized when i was in braids! she's one of those hairdressers that works in her basement. i did shampoo it twice a week, but i only mosturized it with that fantasia spray braid sheen, i forgot what it's called! it felt more like water though. as for my current hairdresser she's out of the picture, well except when i need a relaxer. she also works in her basement. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

now here's my regime:

relaxer: every two months

hot oil treatment (pre wash): twice a week ( w/ Jojoba, olive, and carrot oils)

shampoo &amp; condition: twice a week (w/ Pantene Smooth &amp; Sleek or Herbal Essence Intensive Blends)

condition only wash: 4 times a week ( w/ same as above)

deep condition: w/ every wash (w/ Herbal Essence Intensive Blends Conditioning Balm)

scalp treatment: everyday (w/ Profectiv Root-Health)

leave-in conditioners: w/ every wash ( Pantene Leave-in Spray or Herbal Essence Leave-in Creme and Profectiv Break-Free)

daily moisturizers: everyday ( Elasta QP Mango Butter &amp; Profectiv Mega-Growth)

* also spray a little TCB conditioning oil sheen on finished hair

Kitkat

Patticake, it sounds like you have a pretty good regime. I would add a good protein conditioner to the mix; this will strenghten your hair and combat the brittle-ness. Some decent reconstructors include Nexxus Keraphix and Dudleys Hair Rebuilder. Some of the concentrated heavy hitter ones are Aphogee, Aubreys GPB, and ORS Hair Mayo. Dudleys has one but I don't remember the name - DC something or the other with some numbers following. Always follow protein conditioners with a moisturizing one. Just keep up with the rest of your regime, stay focused on your goal, and don't be discouraged. It might take time, but you're using good products and you should see results eventually.

Jenai

My story:

I was just tired of hearing - "Black women are just born with short hair" stories. Also wondered why my gradmothers and mother had long hair, but mine would reach a certain length and break off. Did an internet search (at work) and the rest is herstory (history).

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I didn't know boards like this existed until '97 '98. A friend of mine sent me a link to a forum called "Black Hair Care" or something like that. BHCF? Anyway it was a link to an off-topic thread about wrestling. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I was like, "Whoa. These women are serious about hair care..." After reading several posts, I figured out that almost everything I was doing for my hair was wrong! No wonder it was neck length for 4 yrs in a row! About a year later, I gave up on 'professionals' because they refused to cooperate with me... They still insisted on slathering Luster's Pink Oil and that crusty brown gel all over my head. /images/graemlins/nono.gif

It was also the beginning of my descent into the vortex of product junkie-ism... /images/graemlins/drowning.gif

notsomebody

I had gone natural and been natural for about a year. Other than washing my hair every day and sometimes putting it in afro puffs, I did not know what to do with my hair. Even though I had done them in high school, it had never occured to me to do deep conditioners when my hair was natural. I had originally gone natural because my hair was always breaking from no-lye relaxers (I honestly beleived they were better than lye). Well,one day I found two dredlocs in my hair and I knew I had to do something. So, I started searching the internet. I couldn't find anything. AT ALL. So I relaxed my hair. And kept searching the internet. Well, I wanted to give myself a chance toward getting longer hair and changed my approach to searching the internet. Before, all I was really getting was advertisements for miracle hair growth products and essays that were supposed to completley change your life by growing your hair.
So, I decided to research an old wives tale, I had heard about prenatal vitamins and hair growth. I came accross the defunct bhc.com site. But the past posts were still there. One day they weren't any more. So, I did a search for a name that I had seen on the bhc board thinking that maybe she would be on another one.
So I searched for Londondiva and was led to the longhairlovers board. After lurking for quite a while, I finally began contributing. When that board went to the new format, I tried to stay with it, but was relieved when longhaircareforum started. Then there were trolls and I left to let it die down and couldn't find it anymore, so I did another search for londondiva and was able to find the new version of it. So, I guess I followed Londondiva here. Thanks Londondiva /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LondonDiva

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
notsomebody said:
Then there were trolls and I left to let it die down and couldn't find it anymore, so I did another search for londondiva and was able to find the new version of it. So, I guess I followed Londondiva here. Thanks Londondiva /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What an internet stalker /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Nah Just kidding. You're welcome Notsomebody /images/graemlins/wave.gif

sbg4evr

A friend and I can up with the idea to create a hair discussion group since it has never been done before. She thought she knew everything there was to know about hair. Little did we know that the internet was littered with hair boards. In hindsight, we knew jack. I browsed and joined a few boards. The maturity of natural hair boards were haters, I did not like the vibe, some boards have people that preach on them and delete posts on them if they did not agree with the poster. I happy to have found this board last fall. I am proud to say that is one of my favorite boards. You girls are so helpful.

ngaa

i've been rackin my brains tryna remember what made me seek them out but now i remember what it was

i had jus taken my braids out that night and had so many knots that the breakage was causin me to become really depressed and as i was undoin my hair i was watchin moesha and was wonderin how in the world she cud have braids for so long and have some hair left on her head, so i went online lookin to find it anyone knew the way that she cared for her hair whilst in braids or a similar method for takin careof braids and thats wen i found Robin's site andd coz i figured they'd be many out there to cut a long story short ended up here

Jade21

Valleygirl,

This was a great question.

I remember it was early 1997 and I was looking for hair products. I think I found Aubrey Organics and Hair Boutique in the same search /images/graemlins/grin.gif I think there was some product referene to some organic product at Hair Boutique which drew me to the site. Once there, I was utterly amazed. I was in heaven /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif Hair Boutique was the first site where I ever read a message board or posted a message.

~Jade~

Lee

First I would like to say I'm fairly new to this board. I'v been reading the very helpful message posts and I must say you ladies are very serious about hair. I'm glad I'm not the only one /images/graemlins/smile.gif However, I decided to go online and find a good hair regime in which I've accomplished. Before I started my hair regime my hair was very badly damaged beacause of wearing weaves for a long periods of time and not taking proper care of my own hair. Now, my hair is one of my top priorities. I just wanted to commend you ladies, you guys know your stuff and I'm grateful to have found this message board. /images/graemlins/wink.gif