What made you seek out Internet Hair Boards?

VALLEYGIRL

The other day Leejure, Adrienne and I were discussing this.

So now I am curious, what happened or what made you get online and start looking for information about hair? Did a friend email you the info to a board? Did you have hair problems? What did you search for?

I'll go first:

After I transitioned and I was fully natural for about a year I would flat iron my hair at the salon about 3 times a year. Well one time certain strands of my hair did not curl back up...a lot of sections actually. I didn't know what was causing it. I even thought someone put relaxer in my curl activator!!! I was REALLY tripping b/c I didn't know why my hair was not curling back.

So I went to Yahoo and did a search for "CURLY HAIR NOT CURLING" and I first stumbled upon Naturally Curly then Black Hair Care.com and BHSGO and got hooked on internet hair boards ever since.

Valleygirl

Oh I realized that it was too much heat from the flat iron why my hair did not revert back after reading about 50 billion posts.

leejure

First of all Valley, are why are we both posting at almost 4:00 am in the morning?! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif Could it be that um, we don't have a life??? (with pinky in the corner of my mouth a la Austin Powers) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Okay, here's mine...

I was trying to grow my hair from shoulder length. I had reached my wall state and really wanted my hair to grow out for my friend's wedding.
At that time, I had another friend who was pregnant and her hair was growing like crazy! She swore that it was her prenatal pills so I was like..."Imma get me some prenatal pills so my hair will grow too." The next day, I got to work and I did a search I think I typed "does prenatal pills make hair grow" and the BHC.com link came up. And like you, I was hooked! From there, a new board by the name of BHSGO (black hair super grow out) was just starting. I eventaully joined that challenge and girl, I promise I almost got fired from my job cause I STAYED on the site!

btw...prenatal pills DO NOT make your hair grow. prenatals COUPLED WITH pregnancy hormones makes your hair gorwth (and sometimes makes it fall out /images/graemlins/frown.gif)

-lee

sweetcocoa

I was frantic! My hair had always been long...no matter what I did to it..it would always grow. My mother always warned me when I was younger that if I didn't stop dying, drying it, curling it, dying it again and later relaxing, that somewhere down the road I wouldn't have any hair. A couple years ago(about 2 1/2) my hair starting shedding and breaking off. My friends who hadn't seen me in a while kept asking me if I got my hair cut(which stressed me out even more). The more I tried to fix it the thinner my hair got. I finally did a 'search' on shedding hair and all this information came up...especially from a site called The Black Haircare Forum. They eventually shutdown, but I found out so much about hair and other forums. I finally made Longhairlovers my home. I stopped relaxing to give my hair a break...then decided to stay natural(at least for the time being), because my hair was and is thriving. I don't even have to 'baby' it any longer.

LondonDiva

I wish i could actually remember the initial reason I joined hairboards, but for the life of me I can't.

All I remember was I used to post on blackhaircare.com but i can't remember how I got there or why. It's been that long.

marabou1

Keylargo introduced me to this site.

Hi girl! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Allandra

I found and joined my first internet hair board (BHSGO) in September 2000 by accident. I was doing some sort of search on Yahoo. It was in the list of results, and I decided to join. I've been around the hair care scene ever since. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kisz4tj

That's a good question, but I have no idea. I just stumpled upon it, I think last week I was checking out niaonline as usual and I probably clicked on a link and just ended up here, but I know nothing is by chance, NOW I'M SERIOUSLY ADDICTED. If loving this board is wrong I don't wanna be RIGHT!!/images/graemlins/love.gif

louvenia

Because I need help. I was serchiing on google and ofund this site about 2 months ago. I have tried everything and still can't find any solutoions. If you cna help, please check out my post.

Lou Lou

carrie

My journey is pretty close to Sweetcocoa's Black Haircare Forum first then Longhairlovers. I think I was doing a search on hair growth because mine was a mess.

pebbles

I found the site while doing research on the net for ways to care for relaxed hair . I found out about the site from another haircare site. /images/graemlins/smile.gif (I forget which one.)

diamoness

I had a classmate whos hair was very brittle and sick looking. She cut it to ear length. Two years later, we were in another course together and her hair had grown just a few inches shy of waistelength. She told me she started out with a short blunt cut, went to her hairdresser once every two weeks, got a touch up every four months, and washed her hair every week. From that point on, I decided that if she could do it, I could too. But, I couldn't afford to go to the hairdresser twice a month. So, I searched online for "tips on how to make hair grow fast"
And came across Longhairlovers discussion board last year...February. I was a lurker for a few months and by the time I started posting messages, they closed down and started a new board. But not many black people where posting, and someone posted a link to Long Hair Care Forum. I was hooked. I decided to follow Bargellos regime over the summer and to my surprise, I actually got a few inches of growth. And it was on from there !!!!!!

SherryLove

I wanted some hair care tips and to see how other women of color were caring for their hair. Boy have I learned a lot.... /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

SherryLove

lala

It's funny that you ask that b/c I never thought I’d be joining a hair board. I'm an IT person and I'm usually doing other things on my PC. Never chatting or joining boards of any kind. On top of that, I've always been a PJ since I don't know when. I was out on Google searching for Dominican conditioners when I found a thread discussing it in detail. I was so surprised. I thought, where have I been? These ladies have been using this stuff forever. So, out of curiosity I browsed through some of the threads and I found everything to be so interesting. I was never concerned about my hair so much before, but the bonus of being a member is receiving excellent tips and techniques from all of you gorgeous ladies. Thanks.

SexyGyrlNY

After experiencing a hair horror in Nov. involving braids I went online to search for websites that talked about caring for damaged relaxed african american hair and voila!-LHCF popped out at me. After reading tips and hair care regimens and looking at the pictures for about two hours I knew that I had found the right place....

Titansgirl

I started searching on the internet for ways to take care of color treated hair. I had a concern from other ladies at my job that got permanent color that my hair was going to fall out from bleaching it. After doing the search on the internet, I came across C. Howse site in Aug 02. Then I decided to search even more, and then found this site in October 02. I'm definitely hooked /images/graemlins/smile.gif With the help of C> Howse and this board I have benn able to maintain my hair and grow length. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Crystal

I didn't seek this board, it sought me.

I was on another messageboard that I frequent and someone posted this link and I clicked it and that's all she wrote... Now I'm a full fledge PJ and I while I don't post much, I constantly check the board for new tips and tricks.

ngaa

mmmm i'm tryna remember how it happened but i cant for the life of me remember how it happened...all i remember is bein at blackhaircareandbody and thinkin wow! and then i did a search for other hair care boards and voila! up came lhcf!!

ngaa

candycane

Excellent question!

Actually I have always had a passion about hair. I was a total PJ before we even gave it a name. I was ALWAYS on the look out for that miracle product that would make my hair healthy, shiny and longer. I did a search a few years back on black hair and ended up finding out about a hair forum that then quickly shut down. Through that forum I was connected to BHSGO, from there BHCAB and then eventually over here. The lessons I have learned on these boards have been priceless. I realize there is NO miracle product, just common sense good hair care that is required to bring about healthy hair that thrives.

Candycane

Amethyst

I was always interested in everything involving hair. After I typed in a search re: "haircare", I came across the hairboutique website. At the time HF37 was extremely popular. Those before and after photos really inspired me to take better care of my hair. There someone had mentioned the Longhairlovers and the long hair community websites. And from there, I came to this forum.

Kiadodie

I just remember my hair was getting thinner and thinner and I got bored at work (nothing to do) so..I started searching for hair care forums and I'm soooo glad I did /images/graemlins/smile.gif.
I believe it's been about 8 months since I've found this board and it has taught me ALOT. For the first time in about 2-3 years I'm getting compliments on my hair again and how "thick" it looks. Thanks to ALL of you /images/graemlins/wave.gif

lexi_24

My story is the same as Crystal's...someone posted a link to this site on another board that I frequent. After spending a weekend of reading posts on here, I became a member.

The funny thing is....it was not until Beverly posted a link to the old boards at the end of February that I realized that I had visited this board when it was part of the network54 last year Spring. I think when those boards moved though....I lost track of the site.

It has been a wonderful experience being reunited!!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Faith

Funny you should post this. I was just thinking about when I stumbled onto BHC.com (when it had the black screen with the green writing) back in Mar 1999. WOW! 4 years, who would have thunk it...lol! I was in search of a solution to my limp, dry, brittle, hard-to-grow relaxed hair. And some of the ladies were discussing natural hair and how they really like it and I thought about it for months. The tips I got from BHC just weren't for my hair at the time (wash more frequently, put it up, etc.) I didn't have the time to wash often and I didn't like it in a bun( it was so thin looking and it looked worst in a bun....very small bun). But I kept going and chatting and 8 months (Nov 1999)later I found BHSGO and I chopped it all off (I found more support for natural hair over there..Nikki the founder was natural...it helped). I'm now a member of about 7 or 8 hair sites. I've been hooked on hair ever since. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ennyaa

Hmmm, I think my story is very similar to a lot of the other ladies. I wasn't happy with my hair last summer and decided to do something about it. I did a google search on black hair and it came up with the growafrohairlong site. I felt REALLY inspired after seeing that. There was an ad on there for HF37, so I went there and got even MORE inspired. When I got engaged in September it helped me to set a goal for myself by my wedding date. After that I joined a Yahoo group for black hair and someone posted a link to this site on there. (I think that was back in Oct.) I been stuck on here ever since. My sister thinks I'm crazy and my fiance calls me the vitamin lady but I don't care! They can both see how my hair has grown since I started taking care of it.

MissJ

Well, I was actually looking for a religion message board. That probably explains why I post more in the Off Topic forum. Then I saw a hair board that led me to this one. I thought it was cool, so I joined.

Islandgirl

I love this question. Well, I don't remember what prompted me to www.afrohair.com (i can't remember if i was looking for a hairstyle or if I was actually looking up haircare), well they have a board for relaxed hair care. I saw Caramela pictures on that board (from her short cut to long hair) and I thought, wow, I could grow back my hair again in two years. Her hair inspired me (I have always been able to get my hair past my shoulders but never bra strap). Then I read thread after thread, post after post. I lurked on that site for a month (October). Someone on that site put a link to LHCF and I stopped by this site late November, and ever since then I have made this site my mainstay (I liked this site better than the one on afrohair.com because it seemed like a larger community and more tips and ideas were being generated on this site on a daily basis). I lurked for four months and joined at the end of February. And of course, I saw more beautiful heads on this site that inspired me the same way that Caramela's hair inspired me.

Armyqt

I discovered the multicultural board of Long Hair Lovers while searching for ways to manage my daughter's natural hair. Needless to say, I was hooked and was so inspired that I decided to go on my own hair journey....The rest is history..I love this board!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nita4

I stumbled across while searching the internet on African American hair care. Most of the sites I found at first were for natural hair, then I came across this one. I was was so ecstatic because I honestly didn't know they existed. /images/graemlins/smile.gif God is so good because my hair "was" jacked up.

karezone

I belong to a lot of hair boards now. I got started in January when I decided that I was going to learn how to roller set my own hair, I found that website with the dominican girl Susanna on it, she mentioned a 365 super gro challenge. From there I was promoted to the Relaxed hair care Board
Relaxed Hair care Board
I am still obssesed with it because of them, I am taking a lot of vitamin, doing a lot of conditioning washes and hot oil treatments. My Mom believes I have lost my mind and my hair looks super good.