What is your favorite Hymn?

Zeal

A co worker posted a question to me Friday at work. He asked me what was my favorite Hymn. At first I said, " What a
Friend we have in Jesus" as that was my favorite Hymn in High school. But so much has changed since then,. so then
I was like no... it's this or no.. it's that. There are so many, and after yesterday I realized that it might be To God Be the
Glory. NO!!! NOT THE ONE BY ANDRE CROUCH!!!!.

I think that it is very sad that the future generations will not know hymns because churches don't really sing them anymore.
They think it is old and this is a new day. However if yourelly liten to the lyrics of the songs you will be able to ge you shout
on just as good with the drum playing playing, screaming , straining your voice songs. Don't get me wrong. I love Kirk,
Fred, Hezekiah, Cee Cee, Mary Mary, Donnie, Daryl Coley, Joanne Rosario, and let's not forget the legends, The Hakwins,
and that piano playing Richard Smallwood. All of thoe great people got started with Hymns.

I feel as though we are loosing our culture for the sake of pacification. I am not a traditionlist. However, I feel that some
traditions should be kept. We should not loose it all. When you go visit a sick Senior in the hospital, what are you going
to sing to them to lift them up? Stopmp? God does the the calling. People should come to worship. Not to be entertained.
Oooops that was just on my mind.

I still would like to know your favorite.

*sings* "Lord i lift your name on highhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Lord i love to sign your praises, im so glad your in my lifeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, im so glad you came to save us, you came from Heaven to Earth to showwwww the way....."

i LOVE that one...

Caramela said:
My favorite would either be Pass me not or Old rugged cross... :look:

What's wrong with Th Old Rugged cross. Why the face? Gyrl this is the season of the cross.

No, girl :lol: I made the face b/c these have to be the most ancient hymns in creation. LOL! But I love them. They take me to a "place". I know what you mean though about children not really growing up to know them, b/c most churches don't really sing hymns, atleast traditional hymns, anymore.

The only one I can think of at the moment Amazing Grace. I rarely sing hymns but I do like this one.

I totally agree that most churches don't sing them anymore and are into entertainment. Traditional hymns are simple, beautiful, and praise God, not the theatrics of the human voice and dance moves that accompany them. My favorite hymns are:

How Great Thou Art
Great is Thy Faithfulness
I Surrender All
Old Rugged Cross
Rock of Ages

Lord don't let me fail you
I wanna be in your Bride
When my way grows weary
Keep me by your side
When my faith goes weak
ALWAYS let me see
Something in my life
That YOU have done for me

:)

We rarely sing hymns in my church, but my favorites are
Great Is Thy Faithfulness
It Is Well With My Soul<---gets me teary EVERY time. Read the LYRICS to this song!
His Eye Is On the Sparrow

It Is Well With My Soul<---gets me teary EVERY time. Read the LYRICS to this song!

I read somewhere that right before this guy wrote the song he lost both his wife and daughter(I might be wrong) but if I'm correct...knowing that makes the lyrics to the song even more powerful.

There are so many. But I'll have to say, It is Well, Great is Thy Faithfulness, In the Garden, Come Thou Almighty King, Redeemed, He Lives, Day by Day, and many more.

good2uuuu said:
There are so many. But I'll have to say, It is Well, Great is Thy Faithfulness, In the Garden, Come Thou Almighty King, Redeemed, He Lives, Day by Day, and many more.

No you did not go there!!! It's about to be some Chuch up in heyah. Our new Choir director played "In the Garden" on the Piano yesterday during collection. I thought Richard Smallwood was up in there for a minute. My sister said she was about to do a lap around the church.:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

You know there are soo many wonderful hymns.

Zeal said:
No you did not go there!!! It's about to be some Chuch up in heyah. Our new Choir director played "In the Garden" on the Piano yesterday during collection. I thought Richard Smallwood was up in there for a minute. My sister said she was about to do a lap around the church.:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

You know there are soo many wonderful hymns.

HAHAHAHAHA! "about to do a lap" I'm mad. :lachen:

and it's not "church" it's Chuych! We about to have some CHUYCH in here! You gotta leave the "r" out! :lachen:

[SIZE=+2]IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL
[/SIZE]
cross4.gif

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blessed assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

[SIZE=-1]- Words by Horatio G. Spafford, 1873
- Music by Philip P. Bliss, 1876

The words to this hymn was written after two major traumas in Spafford's life. The first was the Great Chicago Fire of October 1871, which ruined him financially. Shortly after, while crossing the Atlantic, all four of Spafford's daughters died in a collision with another ship. Spafford's wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram: "SAVED ALONE." Several weeks later, as Spafford's own ship passed near the spot where his daughters died, he was inspired to write these words.
Bliss originally named the tune "Ville de Havre" after the ship on which Spafford's four girls perished, the SS Ville de Havre. Ironically, Bliss himself died in a tragic train wreck shortly after writing this music.
[/SIZE]

" At the cross at Cross where I first saw the Light and the burdens of my soul rollled away" Praise God for the cross

Mom23 said:
[SIZE=+2]IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

[/SIZE]
cross4.gif

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blessed assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

[SIZE=-1]- Words by Horatio G. Spafford, 1873
- Music by Philip P. Bliss, 1876

The words to this hymn was written after two major traumas in Spafford's life. The first was the Great Chicago Fire of October 1871, which ruined him financially. Shortly after, while crossing the Atlantic, all four of Spafford's daughters died in a collision with another ship. Spafford's wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram: "SAVED ALONE." Several weeks later, as Spafford's own ship passed near the spot where his daughters died, he was inspired to write these words.
Bliss originally named the tune "Ville de Havre" after the ship on which Spafford's four girls perished, the SS Ville de Havre. Ironically, Bliss himself died in a tragic train wreck shortly after writing this music.
[/SIZE]

A sad, but beautiful story. I have so many favorites that I can't pick! We sing one at my church called "Mansion, Robe, and Crown" that I really like.

The Battle Hymn of [the] Republic
Trust in the Lord {I think that's the name of it...anyway it's just like the scripture}
Oh The Blood {Not sure if that's the correct title either :look:}

alexstin said:
Yes, I surrender All(like it!!) and It is Well With My Soul.:)

Just reading through the new posts. Yall gonna have me screamin' up in here. My best friend gave me "the New National Baptist Hymnal" it is black and the pages edges are gold. Don't get me to singing up in here.

JuJuBoo said:
We rarely sing hymns in my church, but my favorites are

Great Is Thy Faithfulness

His Eye Is On the Sparrow

Now see.... yall are not palying fair.

Ok.. check this out. Now I am going to break out with an Anthem. The Choir sings this at my church and the church is always standing by the end of this song. I always cry when I hear it.

THE CORNERSTONE
Words & Music by Lari Goss
Sung by John Starnes

Jesus is the Cornerstone,
He came for sinners to atone;
Tho' rejected by His own,
He became the Cornerstone.

O Jesus is the Cornerstone.

When I am by trial oppressed,
On the Stone I am at rest;
When the seeds of truth are sown,
He remains the Cornerstone.

Jesus is the Cornerstone.

O Rock of Ages oh cleft for me,
Oh let me hide myself in Thee;
O Rock of Ages so secure,
And for all time it shall endure;
Til the children reach their home,

Till the breaking of the dawn,
Oh til all footsteps have ceased to roam;
Ever let the truth be known,
That Jesus is the Cornerstone

Ever let His truth be known,
That Jesus is the Cornerstone.

My Jesus is the Cornerstone!

If you want to hear this song click this link. The way the artist sings it hear is his version. It is a little calm for me. However at my church, the choir sings it exactly the same only faster with spirit and soul.
http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/kenskorner/thecornerstone.html
Just listen to the lyrics.

Last edited:
Only What You Do For Christ Will Last

- gotta be one of my all time fav's! i grew up on hymns every single blessed sunday, and anthems! ... and it wasn't until i got older that i learned to appreciate them. the one above sticks out to me right now, but i like many of them...they have GREAT words.

Zeal said:
Now see.... yall are not palying fair.

Ok.. check this out. Now I am going to break out with an Anthem. The Choir sings this at my church and the church is always standing by the end of this song. I always cry when I hear it.

THE CORNERSTONE
Words & Music by Lari Goss
Sung by John Starnes

Jesus is the Cornerstone,
He came for sinners to atone;
Tho' rejected by His own,
He became the Cornerstone.

O Jesus is the Cornerstone.

When I am by trial oppressed,
On the Stone I am at rest;When the seeds of truth are sown,

O Rock of Ages oh cleft for me,
Oh let me hide myself in Thee;
O Rock of Ages so secure,
And for all time it shall endure;
Til the children reach their home,

Ever let the truth be known,

Ever let His truth be known,

My Jesus is the Cornerstone!

If you want to hear this song click this link. The way the artist sings it hear is his version. It is a little calm for me. However at my church, the choir sings it exactly the same only faster with spirit and soul.
http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/kenskorner/thecornerstone.html
Just listen to the lyrics.

i know this song! we used to sing it at my old church! man, i thought we were like the only ones doing this stuf!

NtheNameofJesus! said:
i know this song! we used to sing it at my old church! man, i thought we were like the only ones doing this stuf!

Was "the body" about to tear the church down when they finished?:lachen: :lachen:

Every time I hear that song I am on my feet in tears.

Back