What is your experience with relaxed hair & highlights?

I am so tempted to highlight my hair but I am afriad it will break from the double processing.

Please share your experiences and hair maintenance musts with highlights on a relaxed head - good and bad!

MissM

I just highlighted my hair with the African Pride hi-lites kit two weeks ago and they came out ok. I already color my hair so I knew they wouldn't come out the color I really wanted without bleaching it. Keep that in mind if you have any dark brown or black color in your hair. Also if you color it and it's been a while and you highlight you could wind up with your roots being lighter than the bottom length.

I've had highlights before and you just have to make sure you really keep your hair moisturized really well-not just oiled. Your hair will also be healthier if you roller set on a regular basis. Make sure you use a shampoo for color-treated hair. Are you planning on using bleach for your highlights? Are you going to a salon to have them done? Just don't go too light so your hair doesn't get so dry. Also make sure you get a shade that won't end up turning orange or you'll hate it.

I've had my highlights for two weeks now and I like having lighter hair but I love me some dark black hair!! Good luck if you decide to do them.

Kimberly

I usually try not to post negative experiences but, since you asked....my hair broke off everywhere that I had highlights. The highlights literally broke off and I ended up with almost nothing but dark hair without cutting them out or recoloring.

It was very traumatic. I was stupid and didn't know any better and my hairdresser at the time didn't tell me how much extra moisture my hair would need.

Just my experience. I dn't do highlights anymore.

Dee-Licious

my first time I got highlights.. my hair was BEAUTIFUL.. I just amped up the care I took care of my hair, and it worked out great. UNTIL.. I decided to get my hair re-highlighted because I couldn't see my color enough anymore.., and my hair suffered tremendously!! I say go for it, but be happy with it as a one-time thing.. advice I wish I had listened to!!

SUPER SWEET

Caused major breakage:mad: . I used African Pride at home kit. :( If i did it again i wouldnt relax before 16 weeks, use lil heat and keep my hair moisturized.

newslady

if you take care of your highlights, they'll take care of you.

read my siggy: i have 4a/b hair, use a *super* relaxer and much to the dismay of may ladies on the board - I USE HEAT EVERYDAY!

but thanks to the things i've learned here, i take better care of my hair/highights.
WATER, moisture, vitamins and quality products will keep your hair from breaking!

i'd suggest getting them done by a colorist, don't do them yourself though.
they use better products and b/c they can stand OVER you, can see the highights better and know when to wash them out.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I think it really depends on your hair. So everyone is going to give you a varied response. I tried it once and ended up with a baggie filled with hair. I will never do it again. I would proceed with caution because there is nothing worse than having 1/2 your hair end up in the sink.

Millahdoowop

I agree with the moisture part, but PLEASE remember to do protein treatments. You have to have a balance of moisture and protein. I do the aphogee treatment (you can use any hardcore protein) every six weeks... a precaution I take. And in between I use a light/mild protein every two weeks. And of course moisturize your tail off. Other than that you should be fine, oh and co-sign on the heat. Don't use too much of it.

Thank you so much for your responses!!

MsDanele1518 said:
my first time I got highlights.. my hair was BEAUTIFUL.. I just amped up the care I took care of my hair, and it worked out great. UNTIL.. I decided to get my hair re-highlighted because I couldn't see my color enough anymore.., and my hair suffered tremendously!! I say go for it, but be happy with it as a one-time thing.. advice I wish I had listened to!!

Thanks for sharing this - for the women who have had success, how many times did you highlight. Is there a way you can highlight just the roots?

MissM said:
Are you planning on using bleach for your highlights? Are you going to a salon to have them done?

What is the difference? I wanted to have more blonde like highlights, will they be more likely to turn orange?

mysweetevie ,kimberly & *Bre~Bre*, I am sorry you did not have positive experiences, thanks for sharing your recommendations, it really makes me think twice.

Are there any pre-treatments that I have to do prior to getting them done & as far a relaxers, is there an ideal period to wait before/after you get them?

Last edited:

Dee-Licious

serenitybreeze.. i just bumped an EXCELLENT thread on how to properly care for highlighted hair.. its the Bootcamp thread!!!

dreysonsmommy2011

I have never colored my hair, but my sister highlighted hers. The part where the highlights were broke off tremendously until they were gone. She suffered alot of breakage with them(partly because she is lazy when it comes to her hair) and is now going to get her hair cut. I think that alot of her problem was also due to the fact that the hair stylist used a permanent hair dye to high light her hair:perplexed

trinidarkie1

Kimberly said:
I usually try not to post negative experiences but, since you asked....my hair broke off everywhere that I had highlights. The highlights literally broke off and I ended up with almost nothing but dark hair without cutting them out or recoloring.

It was very traumatic. I was stupid and didn't know any better and my hairdresser at the time didn't tell me how much extra moisture my hair would need.

Mine did as well, but it was gradual. MY hair was already unhealthy when I got it done. I now have a nice new head of hair and dont know when the highlights fell off. So I didnt really lose any length at all.
It was nice when it lasted.

caribeandiva

Human being
i've highlighted my hair for the last 2 years. i only hightlighted the crown area though. since i started my hair regime i haven't renewed them. i think they're fading but my friends swear they can still see them. anyway, it didn't damage my hair any further (my hair was already damaged pretty badly). i'm waiting to get apl hair to get my highlights back.

seeminglysweet

I started highlighting my hair when I turned 18, I stopped when I was about 23. I never had any major breakage or healthy hair issues from any of the highlights. I would get highlights, low highlights and a combination of the two. I also would sometimes get a cellophane rinse over them once they began to fade. I have always gone to a stylist, the same one for 13 years, so that may be a factor.
I did once get platinum blonde highlights, I mean so blonde they were literally white for the first week. After the initial color faded it was gorgeous and while my hair did not break out there was noticable stress on the blonde sections of hair.
I think the key factor is to wait at LEAST three week after a relaxer before coloring, I would usually wait 4-6 weeks just to be safe. Also when I had highlights i NEVER wore my hair in a ponytail or used elastic bands to prevent any additional stress on my hair.

I will be getting highlights again at some point in the future but for now I am color-free.

Kimberly said:

I had the same experience and ended up cutting my hair into a short bob as a result. I think highlights look pretty but I'd be a fool to try it again on my head.

blackbarbie

I got highlights for the first time in June of 2004 and then got them re-done again about a year later. My brother is a professional colorist for Keune (think that's the color line he used) and teaches a lot of their classes so that may have made a difference in it being a smooth application. This past time (last year in 2005) I went with more light blond color (its on the layers on the bottom) and also some caramel shades as well.

I haven't had any issues but I would agree with someone else that said make sure you moisturize the heck out of your hair, especially if you plan to go really light because the lighter the color, the more moisture you're going to need. I also make sure I do the protein treatments on a regular basis as well. If I am not moisturizing enough, I can literally see/feel the difference in the really blond strands and the rest of my hair.

I don't use direct heat anyway, I just mainly rollerset, so I can't say how (but i'm sure it has some effect) the direct heat really affects it. I had initially said I wouldn't get any more, but they are so addictive and I think once these grow out a little more, I will be getting them again!

HTH!

aileenadq

I would only do "low lift" highlights. Too much bleach and you may wind up with all the lightened strands all over your floor. My only experience with professionall highlights left me with red (and I mean Elmo red) highlights. They were supposed to be chocolate brown. I found out the hard way what color they were:

Me (sitting in court waiting for the judge to come in):

Court Officer: Hey, A-----, nice red highlights! (Smirk).
Me: Wha?
CO: Yeah, you know, your highlights.
Me: (Gets up, RUNS to the bathroom...)
In the bathroom: AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH! RED hair! :eek:

I had to go back twice to fix it. THEN they fell out.

So I never highlight. The most I do is cover my grays with semi-perm (28 shampoos) color in one or two shades up from my own.

leleepop

I broke off alot when I put red highlights in my hair. This was before I joined the board so I didnt have a regimen. I dont think I would do it again any time soon, because I dont want that much high maintenance.hth

crlsweetie912

I have done it and I will never do it again. Even though this was before I found the boards, I was a cosmetologist, so I had some knowledge of taking care of my hair. I went from about 4 inches above BSL to shoulder length. I am just now getting my hair healthy again. I have about 2 inches left of the highlighted hair and I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN!

But, I think that it can be done, others have, but you must BABY your hair at ever turn.
HTH

BobbieDoll

I have highlights now and I'm not having problems with them at all. I have to echo what the other ladies said about moisture. I waited about 5 weeks after I got them to get my relaxer so I think that helped a little. I also make sure I deep condition every time I wash and do protein treatments. If you take care of your hair then you shouldn't have a problem.

2cute2B4gotten

MsDanele1518 said:

My sentiments exactly. I did the exact same thing and right now my hair is seriously paying for it. There is breakage eveyrwhere that the color is. :( I am trying to get it back on track, and it has literally taken me over a year. My hair is much shorter in the crown area and the sides. Once I get it back in shape, I won't do it again...:nono:

Phoenix

Never again! I've done my own highlights and had them done by a professional. I got breakage both times. IMO that's just too much stress for relaxed hair. Now when I want highlights, I just (very carefully) glue in a couple of pieces of weave in the desired color and go on about my business.

Thank You Ladies for all of your responses. I have decided not to risk highlights. After caring for my hair for the past two years, I think I would be heartbroken, if it began to break and I did not heed warnings from you all.

Now, does anyone know where I can get highlighting mascara for temporary highlights?

KiniKakes

SerenityBreeze said:
Thank You Ladies for all of your responses. I have decided not to risk highlights. After caring for my hair for the past two years, I think I would be heartbroken, if it began to break and I did not heed warnings from you all.

Now, does anyone know where I can get highlighting mascara for temporary highlights?

Yeah, I must admit, this post scared me to death...... and any desire/yearning at all for highlights, at any point in my life, were just washed down the tube after reading all these responses. *YIKES* :eek:

No thanks, im good.:lol:

SweetCaramel1

maintenance nightmare!!! the color is great but you have to use much less heat and deep condition more often. you also have to be even more careful when relaxing.

i experienced some breakage but overall i'm happy with the color but not with the upkeep.

pretty-girl#1

My experience was HORRIBLE. If you have never done it before it is a gamble! Some people can highlight and have no problems and some, like me, will end up with broken hairs all throughout their head. I'll never do it again! My hair was beautiful and healthy and I got it professionally done every week. I know it was not the condition of my hair or my hair care regime at that time that caused the breakage because I kept it moisturized, i just cant have relaxed and colored hair. the combo is dangerous. Think about your progress so far and how bad you'll feel if you loose hair and have a set back. Then think about the possible look and beauty of the new color. You can always add pieces of colored tracks throughout your head to give u the highlighted look. Weigh all options and remember........ it only takes one second to mess up what you've taken months/years to grow! HHG, let us know what u decided