I want to have my relaxed hair higlighted

levette

I need a change and I'm thinking of hair highlights.. I mainly want it done in the front of my hair ...that way if it gets damaged i won't sacrifice hair length... If you are highlighted please post pics and share experiences of keeping it healthy

I am not currently highlighted but I used to be relaxed/highlighted and got my hair torched by the egyptians weekly, not a good look-my hair was dyed and fried. I didn't really take care of my hair back then like I should..but I did use conditioners that were targeted towards colored hair. You will want to take all the same good measures that you take with your hair in its current state. You will probably need to up the moisture and maybe the protein in your routine and limit your direct heat use.
I'm sure those with current experience will chime in...

I have honey blonde highlights with a few sprinkles of red in there too (Pics are in my album if interested) I am not fully relaxed (3 years of natural growth but some of my relaxed ends have color) That part of my hair is noticeably weaker and requires more attention than the rest of my hair. Shooooot even the fully natural parts that are bleached is a lot weaker. I make sure to use conditioners enriched with hydrolyzed proteins...specifically keratin and keep that part of my hair extra moisturized. I would not recommend it if you are a frequent heat user or relax often...all of those chemicals and heat do not mix. I would suggest just getting some blonde clip in extensions to crave your itch. However, if you are only going to color once or twice a year, stretch your relaxers and use minimal heat than you should be ok.

Last edited:
Bumping for more responses. I had highlights before with a relaxer and it was the worst thing I could have done for my hair.

I am not currently highlighted but I used to be relaxed/highlighted and got my hair torched by the egyptians weekly, not a good look-my hair was dyed and fried. I didn't really take care of my hair back then like I should..but I did use conditioners that were targeted towards colored hair. You will want to take all the same good measures that you take with your hair in its current state. You will probably need to up the moisture and maybe the protein in your routine and limit your direct heat use.
I'm sure those with current experience will chime in...

When you mentioned Egyptians and I looked at your location I giggled because Yehia did a number on my head back in the day.

Same here, never again :nono:. I had to cut my BSL hair (see avatar) to neck length with all the damage I had. DONT...DO...IT :perplexed.

Bumping for more responses. I had highlights before with a relaxer and it was the worst thing I could have done for my hair.

Last edited:
You are not going to like the answers, but don't do it. I did it yearsss ago and it was after pestering my hairdresser and finally he relented and gave me one(!) red highlight and when he saw that one was ok he gave me three more.

So many things could go wrong and derail your efforts. You need a very good stylist and a maintenance regimen.

Would you consider getting some clip ins in the colour you like and wearing them when your hair is down? Maybe that will scratch the itch :)

I did that before. My hair didn't suffer at all. I got bored with it and did a all over red color(Rhianna red) and also my hair was fine. I colored my hair 6 weeks after relaxing to be safe. So I would be 6 weeks post and color and then 6 weeks relax and so on. So basically I relaxed every 3 months and colored every 3 months. I did the same regimen I did before coloring which is deep condition weekly and moisturize and seal morning and night.

Back