What is your deep conditioning process?

MsDes

Hopefully somebody will answer this for me, but can you DC with a regular conditioner like Suave Almond Conditioner by adding oils? TIA.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using LHCF App

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@MsDes

The molecules in Deep Conditioners are smaller and penetrate the Hair Shaft.

Instant Conditioners do not have the correct properities to do this. And primarily work as an Instant Conditioner.

Although many use Doctored Up Instant Conditioning Mixes with Good Success.

I prefer to use products that are meant for Deep Conditioning. That say: Deep Conditioner, Deep Penetrating Conditioner, Intense Conditioner, Hair Masque/Mask etc....
That way I know I'm truly using something meant for DC'ing.

And they often say, "For Best Results use with Heat" or Can be Used with Heat

naturalpride

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): Nioxin System 8, SE Mega Moisture Silk,LeKair Cholesterol
2. Wet or dry hair: Wet
3. Heat or no heat: Steamer
4. How long do you DC? 45-60 min
5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? Oil to the SE & Cholesterol
6. How often do you DC? 2x weekly
7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? Relaxed

Lucia

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?):

My favorite conditioners: Aubrey Organics: White Camella, Honey Suckle Rose, GPB for protein.
Moisture is my favorite but I alternate between both for DC-ing so I can keep the moisture protein balance up in my hair.

2. Wet or dry hair:

I did on wet hair but I switched to damp or dry hair last year.

3. Heat or no heat: (if with heat do you use a hooded dryer or steamer)

Yes heat makes the DC better and takes less time 15-20 minutes max I use heat cap and every month or so I steam. I never use a hooded dryer for DC cause it's dry heat and I blow dry sometimes when I flat iron so I keep the dry heat controlled.

4. How long do you DC?

15-20 minutes when with heat cap steamer 30-60 min

5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add?

Sometimes I add coconut oil over the conditioner on the length and ends but mostly I just use conditioner alone.

6. How often do you DC?

Every 2 weeks at least

7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc?

Natural

*8. Why do you like this conditioner and corresponding method for your hair?
If there are anymore question suggestions, feel free to let me know.

I've switched products a lot over my HHJ but I use Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner for protein DC and I use Aubrey Organics White Camellia or honey suckle rose for moisturizing DC.

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Kenra Moisturizing DC is my staple although I rotate my protein and moisture DCners.

2. Wet or dry hair:
Wet

Steam

4. How long do you DC?
30 mins - 1hr

No

6. How often do you DC?
1-2x weekly

Relaxed

Moisturizing and always resolves any hair issues that I'm experiencing. I steam because I have low porosity hair.

lolascurls

M favourite conditioners: Joico K Pak Reconstructor (protein), ORS Replenishing Pack (protein-moisture balanced)

2. Wet or dry hair:

Damp hair (sprayed with aloe vera juice and water).

No heat usually (I do have a steamer...I'm lazy).

4. How long do you DC?

Minimum 1 hr, usually overnight though!

Usually, I don't add anything.

6. How often do you DC?

Every 2 - 4 weeks.

Transitioning to natural (25 months post).

My hair prefers protein conditioners for DCing as I co-wash with moisturizing products alot. And I moisturize and seal regularly (2ce daily usually).

pinkness27

What is the difference between protein and moisture DCs? My hair is very dry. Which method should I be doing more of?

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I was deep conditioning on damp or dry hair, with a plastic cap, and a heat cap. Worked great. Unfortunately, my heat cap went missing and I've slacked on my DCs ever since.

Note to self: Buy another heat cap!

faithVA

My favorite is AO White Camellia(moisture) but I use AO GPB(moisture/protein balance) more.

2. Wet or dry hair:
DC on wet hair because it is easier to apply, I have less breakage and I use less product.

I use a heat cap. Tried overnight and steaming but the heat cap works better.

4. How long do you DC?
30 minutes. I get the same results even if I DC longer.

No. Just use it straight out the bottle.

6. How often do you DC?
Once a week. But will increase it to 2x a week when my hair gets longer.

Natural

I rinse my hair for easier application. I apply my conditioner like a relaxer in small sections. Then I twirl the section in both directions to work the conditioner in. Because my hair is so curly I found this really works the conditioner into my hair.

I like the AO White Camellia because my hair feels really soft and moisturized in just 30 minutes. But I use the AO GPB more because I am trying to work on my moisture/protein balance. My hair prefers thinner conditioners over the thicker ones like AO HSR.

melissa-bee

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): Aubrey Organics GPB (Protein) and HSR (moisture)
2. Wet or dry hair: Damp
3. Heat or no heat: (if with heat do you use a hooded dryer or steamer) I use my body heat. I put a plastic bag on, then a shower cap and then a thick towel to wrap around my head, then drink something hot like tea.
4. How long do you DC? About 1 or 2 hours
5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? No
6. How often do you DC? Once every 2 -3 weeks
7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? Natural

*8. Why do you like this conditioner and corresponding method for your hair? It's simple and effective.

SimJam

KBB moisture mask or HV Sitrinillah

2. Wet or dry hair:
freshly washed

steamer

4. How long do you DC?
30 - 40mins

nope

6. How often do you DC?
at least every week

natural

KBB moisture mask is exactly that, all moisture, the HV sitrinillah is also very moisturizing. Steaming kicks up the results of most DC

MyCoilsGoBoing

I don't have one. It varies from week to week. Self-proclaimed product junkie. :look:
2. Wet or dry hair:
Wet

No heat

4. How long do you DC?
Usually overnight....6-9 hours.

Nope

6. How often do you DC?
Weekly

natural

8. Why do you like this conditioner and corresponding method for your hair?
Like I said, I don't use any one particular conditioner. As long as the ingredients sound hair friendly and it smells yummy, I'll use it. My leaving the conditioner on overnight is laziness. I'll rinse my hair out in the morning, and it'll have all day to airdry.

Victorian

old head
1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): Aubrey Organics GPB is my favorite--it's for both moisture + protein
2. Wet or dry hair: Dry
3. Heat or no heat: (if with heat do you use a hooded dryer or steamer): Either or, depending on my mood. I use a soft bonnet dryer to apply heat
4. How long do you DC? at least 20 minutes, usually more like an hour due to laziness
5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? Not to GPB. If I'm using some other conditioner I might mix a couple
6. How often do you DC? I pre-poo every week. Sometimes I will also DC after shampooing, it just depends. SOMETHING gets soaked into my hair every week. I also have a protein-based overnight treatment I use often (Fekkai PM Repair Treatment)
8. Why do you like this conditioner and corresponding method for your hair? GPB is very nourishing - perfect balance of protein and moisture. I prefer to use it on dry hair and shampoo out because it can be too heavy if I DC with it after shampooing

ScorpioBeauty09

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): I use mostly Breakage Defense Shampoos. My hair/scalp does NOT like moisturizing shampoos and I've never had a need for protein. My favorites are Tresemme Breakage Defense and Pantene Pro-V Beautiful Lengths.
2. Wet or dry hair: I towel dry but by the time I spray my ACV mixture and massage it into my scalp, my hair's wet again.:ohwell:
3. Heat or no heat: I have a heat cap but I rarely use it.
4. How long do you DC? At least 60 minutes, I end up DC-ing longer a lot of times.
5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? Other than my ACV + oils mixture, nothing.
6. How often do you DC? Ever 2 weeks.
7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? Straightened Natural

*8. Why do you like this conditioner and corresponding method for your hair? Because it's what gets my hair to retain length!:grin:

Bajanmum

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): I'm going to be a bit controversial here and say imho, AO IN is the best AO condish ever! It has protein in, but my hair is softer than butta afterwards so it's moisturising as well.
2. Wet or dry hair: Both, but I prefer on dry hair.
3. Heat or no heat: (if with heat do you use a hooded dryer or steamer) Heat. I use my micro heat turban.
4. How long do you DC? 1 hour
5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? No need to
6. How often do you DC? 7-10 days
7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? Au Natarale :yep:

LuvlyRain3

Ss vanilla silk for moisture and hydratherma naturals protein amino plus for protein
2. Wet or dry hair: wet
3. Heat or no heat: I use a hydra cap which traps body heat
4. How long do you DC? At least six hours or overnight
5. Do you add anything to your DC? No. If I feel like I have to add anything to it to make it work then i don't want it
6. How often do you DC? Every two weeks
natural
*8. Why do you like this conditioner and corresponding method for your hair? Out of every process and product I've tried these work the best do I stick to them.

Last edited:

coyacoy

Great thread, OP

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): I use a lot of different moisturizing DCs, so don't really have one favorite (using my honey child's olive you mostly though these days). Protein DC - i go hard using Komaza Care's protein strengthener. for a lighter protein condish i use AO GPB as a pre poo mixed with ceremide oils or alter ego garlic condish
2. Wet or dry hair: dry for the prepoo ...wet for m/c or protein treatment
3. Heat or no heat: rotate between heat and steamer depending on what i am doing or using- always use heat when doing the protein strengthener treatment
4. How long do you DC? 30 under dryer....20 under steamer...at least an hour for pre poo'ing...sometimes overnight if i get lazy
5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? i add ceremide oils
6. How often do you DC? at least every week - sometimes twice if my hair really needs it
7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? natural

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): Aubrey GPB
2. Wet or dry hair: Either one! Depends on how I feel
3. Heat or no heat: (if with heat do you use a hooded dryer or steamer) no heat
4. How long do you DC? Hour or more, depends on if I am busy
5. Do you add anything to your DC? Sometimes What do you add? Castor, grapeseed, or jojoba oil
6. How often do you DC? Twice a month between co washes

*8. Why do you like this conditioner and corresponding method for your hair? It just works, lol. Took me a year to figure it out, but I got it!

Sent from my 4G Thunderbolt using LHCF app

Kn0ttyByNatur3

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): Lekair Cholesterol
2. Wet or dry hair: clean, damp hair
3. Heat or no heat: No heat.
4. How long do you DC? Overnight
5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? EVOO, grapeseed and/or honey.
6. How often do you DC? weekly - biweekly

7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? Natural!!!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
See my answers in red:

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): ORS replenishing; moisturizing with a tiny bit of protein.
2. Wet or dry hair: Mostly wet
3. Heat or no heat: No heat ( I find this DC works better without heat)
4. How long do you DC? 60-90 mins
5. Do you add anything to your DC? about a teaspoon of clear rinse
6. How often do you DC? every 7-10 days
7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? Transitioning

*8. Why do you like this conditioner and corresponding method for your hair?I like to give my relaxed ends a light protein treatment every wash so the moisture DC keeps everything balanced. Adding the clear rinse to the DC makes my hair smoother and less prone to tangles, and because I have very porous hair it helps it retain moisture.

ravenhairedcharm

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner - moisture
2. Wet or dry hair: Wet
3. Heat or no heat: With heat under soft bonnet dryer
4. How long do you DC? 15 minutes
5. Do you add anything to your DC? No
6. How often do you DC? Once a week

The Alter Ego garlic conditioner has been the best conditioner I have used to date. It detangles my hair, moisturizes, and even adds a little strength. In my opinion it doesn't get any better than that!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): Aubrey Organics HoneySuckle Rose
2. Wet or dry hair: Damp
3. Heat or no heat:Overnight then in the morning, add an oil and steam for 20min
4. How long do you DC?:Overnight
5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? :No
6. How often do you DC? :1x a week

My hair soaks it up.After rinsing my hair is super moisturized

lilyofthenile

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): Both. I do either depending on how my hair feels.
2. Wet or dry hair: Dry hair.
3. Heat or no heat: (if with heat do you use a hooded dryer or steamer) No.
4. How long do you DC? About two hours.
5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? If it's an ayurvedic DC I tend to add oils etc, otherwise I don't really add anything to them.
6. How often do you DC? Twice a month or so.
7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? Natural.

spellinto

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): light protein: ORS Replenishing Conditioner. I used to alternate between this and Aussie 3 Min Miracle (also really good, no protein), but ORS is sufficient enough for both moisture & protein for my hair.

2. Wet or dry hair: I usually spritz my hair with water so that it's lightly damp (NOT wet!) before I DC. The DC doesn't penetrate enough with wet hair, and it takes too much product to cover all of my thick hair when completely dry.

3. Heat or no heat: (if with heat do you use a hooded dryer or steamer) None, but that's only because I haven't bought a steamer yet!

4. How long do you DC? Usually hours. I don't really count but I'd say at least two.

5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? No, I don't want to mess with the formula or experiment too much.

6. How often do you DC? 1-2x a week

7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? Relaxed :)

*8. Why do you like this conditioner and corresponding method for your hair? Like I mentioned, this DC does a great job of providing protein and moisture all at once. My hair is protein sensitive so I am wary about using too much protein, but this DC gives my relaxed hair the strength it needs during my stretched without leaving my hair hard or brittle. My hair just feels soft & stronger simultaneously. See question 2 for my reasoning as to why I choose to DC on *slightly damp* hair.

Last edited:

IMFOCSD

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): light protein: ORS Replenishing Conditioner. I used to alternate between this and Aussie 3 Min Miracle (also really good, no protein), but ORS is sufficient enough for both moisture & protein for my hair.

2. Wet or dry hair: I usually spritz my hair with water so that it's lightly damp (NOT wet!) before I DC. The DC doesn't penetrate enough with wet hair, and it takes too much product to cover all of my thick hair when completely dry.

3. Heat or no heat: (if with heat do you use a hooded dryer or steamer) None, but that's only because I haven't bought a steamer yet!

4. How long do you DC? Usually hours. I don't really count but I'd say at least two.

5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? No, I don't want to mess with the formula or experiment too much.

6. How often do you DC? 1-2x a week

7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? Relaxed :)

*8. Why do you like this conditioner and corresponding method for your hair? Like I mentioned, this DC does a great job of providing protein and moisture all at once. My hair is protein sensitive so I am wary about using too much protein, but this DC gives my relaxed hair the strength it needs during my stretched without leaving my hair hard or brittle. My hair just feels soft & stronger simultaneously. See question 2 for my reasoning as to why I choose to DC on *slightly damp* hair.

spellinto The bold is a very good idea...nice post and ur hair is nice :)

Last edited:

LiftedUp

ORS Hair Mayo, ORS Replenishing

2. Wet or dry hair:

Wet

Heat 15mins with steamer.
No heat, 30mins

4. How long do you DC?

Heat 15mins with steamer.
No heat, 30mins

Nope.

6. How often do you DC?

Once per week.

Relaxed

chelleypie810

1. Favorite DC (is it moisture or protein?): SD vanilla silk moisture or silicon mix bambu
2. Wet or dry hair: both. wet for rollersets, dry when I flat iron
3. Heat or no heat: heat with my turban or dryer when I go to salon every other week
4. How long do you DC? 15 mins-3 hrs
5. Do you add anything to your DC? What do you add? no
6. How often do you DC? weekly
7. Are you relaxed, natural, texlaxed...etc? relaxed

bc it leaves my hair moisturized for the week and I usually only have to use a serum during the wk