What is the purpose of joining a church?

foxxymami

I have been attending a church for a while now, almost a year. I have not joined, but I attend just about every Sunday and I participate in some functions, as well as having the members lately asking me to help out more and being in one or some of the ministries.

I guess I just wonder, do I need to join a church. And, also I guess I've never joined a church before.. My church back home was the church I grew up in and since I was a child when my mother joined, she joined the whole family to the church.

Well, I guess I'm nervous since this would be my first time:eek:. Does the bible say anything about this?

Sorry for rambling :blush:

Nice & Wavy

I have been attending a church for a while now, almost a year. I have not joined, but I attend just about every Sunday and I participate in some functions, as well as having the members lately asking me to help out more and being in one or some of the ministries.

I guess I just wonder, do I need to join a church. And, also I guess I've never joined a church before.. My church back home was the church I grew up in and since I was a child when my mother joined, she joined the whole family to the church.

Well, I guess I'm nervous since this would be my first time:eek:. Does the bible say anything about this?

Sorry for rambling :blush:

I always feel that if you are attending the church and participating in the events there, then you are already a member. Most times, when the church ask for you to join, it's a matter of them having a roll count of the people there, their needs, etc. Some churches don't do that, but most do.

The bible says to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together.

Read this...it may be helpful:

http://www.churches-of-christ.net/tracts/job035u.htm

missty1029

When I became a member of my church I had to go to classes to learn about the church, the bishop and the fundemental teachings of the church. Also to learn about how I can be involved. It helps to become more a part of the inner workings of the church , I think.

cutiebe2

At the church I go to near school there is a process to become a member (just a short class). But I don't bother. If you live in the area and will go there for a long period of time I think you should become a member

kayte

Raised in the church.... it seemed sort of important especially in NYC to have a spiritual anchor..more because it was familiar to do it... My mother kept urging me to find a church home...but it was not the priority it should have been.

I visited many churches throughout my occasional off and on again search for a church home,and participated much as you have when I found one I could relate to...was active in the groups and outings and ministries on a regular basis
and while definitely entertained the idea of possibly joining one or two.. for some reason it nver happened.It felt a spiritual abstraction.....UNTIL I attended the church I am member of today...

It was like ....I heard a sermon...and came back three more times and I KNEW this was my church.... and my spirit felt led to make this connection
a real commitment. That meant in depth member classes with others on the path.
And at the members ceremony more than a few of us cried..as we stated as a group our mrmbership duties and as the chuch body agreed with a collective yes to accept us into membership and then gave us a standing ovation...getting teary thinking about it

I never regretted it... it's only made feel like I have a real loving family of God,..and church home and resource and it just feels good to be connected with a body of people who have chosen to commit their lives to Christ. The small groups I am in and the Spiritual Entreptrneur group...my church has brunches everyweek..and one of the ministers is a powerful AA woman..the gospel
choir is awesome ...the outreach ministries are vital and community based here and in other parts othe USA and the church has a sister church in Africa...
...my chuch ROCKS....

It took years for me! I attended church all along...but I did not become a member until it made sense..in my heart... to do so

hth

Last edited:

BlessedStarlette

Raised in the church.... it seemed sort of important especially in NYC to have a spiritual anchor..more because it was familiar to do it... My mother kept urging me to find a church home...but it was not the priority it should have been.

I visited many churches throughout my occasional off and on again search for a church home,and participated much as you have when I found one I could relate to...was active in the groups and outings and ministries on a regular basis
and while definitely entertained the idea of possibly joining one or two.. for some reason it nver happened.It felt a spiritual abstraction.....UNTIL I attended the church I am member of today...

It was like ....I heard a sermon...and came back three more times and I KNEW this was my church.... and my spirit felt led to make this connection
a real commitment. That meant in depth member classes with others on the path.
And at the members ceremony more than a few of us cried..as we stated as a group our mrmbership duties and as the chuch body agreed with a collective yes to accept us into membership and then gave us a standing ovation...getting teary thinking about it

I never regretted it... it's only made feel like I have a real loving family of God,..and church home and resource and it just feels good to be connected with a body of people who have chosen to commit their lives to Christ. The small groups I am in and the Spiritual Entreptrneur group...my church has brunches everyweek..and one of the ministers is a powerful AA woman..the gospel
choir is awesome ...the outreach ministries are vital and community based here and in other parts othe USA and the church has a sister church in Africa...
...my chuch ROCKS....

It took years for me! I attended church all along...but I did not become a member until it made sense..in my heart... to do so

hth

Yourchurch sounds like what I am looking for s far as starting my spiritual growth. If I may ask , what church do you attend?

mango387

There are spiritual reasons to "join" a church family. There are also practical reasons. I'll go into the latter, because everyone will talk about the former. Let's say you are having a funeral, want to get married, seek counseling, etc. If you are a member of XYZ church, then it will be easier to do all of the above plus more. Most churches offer these services to nonmembers, but members have top priority. I learned this when I was in grad school in another state. I was able to receive "member" services although I wasn't a member, because I had proof of attendance. (Long story). Even if you do not a join a church, please let someone (preferably a member) know you are going there. If anyone has more questions about this, please feel free to pm me.

kayte

Well, I guess I'm nervous since this would be my first time. Does the bible say anything about this?
Do you feel very connected here? Do you feel "fed"...inspired ...strengthened?
If so..it may be calling you if you are asking..

There are also practical reasons. I'll go into the latter, because everyone will talk about the former.
I so agree with post above....members do have priviliges

It sounds like it's a first spiritual commitment you are making outside of your mom's decision..about a church..that's huge :)
You're not on your own,tho!...when I was looking I DID inquire about what membership entailed with the varying churches.You can too!
Why not just have a chat with a membership person and ask what it entails and
and share a little of your feelings.....
and certainly you can pray to the Lord ..ask for guidance and discernment
in guiding you to the right spiritutal home for your relationship with Him.

Last edited:

kayte

Yourchurch sounds like what I am looking for s far as starting my spiritual growth. If I may ask , what church do you attend?

I've posted about different churches before and then were (unexpected) rebuttals
so...pm-ing you :)

Last edited:

foxxymami

Do you feel very connected here? Do you feel "fed"...inspired ...strengthened?
If so..it may be calling you if you are asking..

I so agree with post above....members do have priviliges

It sounds like it's a first spiritual commitment you are making outside of your mom's decision..about a church..that's huge :)
You're not on your own,tho!...when I was looking I DID inquire about what membership entailed with the varying churches.You can too!
Why not just have a chat with a membership person and ask what it entails and
and share a little of your feelings.....
and certainly you can pray to the Lord ..ask for guidance and discernment
in guiding you to the right spiritutal home for your relationship with Him.
Yes, you've described it exactly!!!! Thats exactly how I feel. This is such a commitment to me, that I don't take it lightly. I've never had to make such a decision on my own before and I just want to make sure I'm tied to the right church family :yep:

I've been seeking guidance with God and I'm still a'listening to see what he leads me to choose :)

NGraceO

EXACTLY what Kayte said. Thats what God made churches for. A commitment to a family of believers that you love and serve. I was just looking @ a book about this by an author I LOVE. Its called, "Stop dating church," by Joshua Harris. You should go on Amazon, look it up, and they'll let you read a few pages from it. HTH. God Bless:)