WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIN HAIR AND FINE HAIR?

Mandy4610

Are they the same?

A couple of days ago someone said I am a fine haired girl (not in a bad way at all), but I have always thought my natural hair is thick, not super duper oooper thick, but thick.

I am all confused...does this mean I should start to figure out how to thicken up my hair? or is fine hair not the same as thin hair?

BTW, my hair looks and feels different when it is shrunken and when it is stretched. It feel super thick and dry when shrunken and feels more moisturized and soft when stretched.

Help a sista out please?

ART11

I think fine hair relates to the size/weight/thickness of the strand itself. For example if my hubby loses a hair in the sink and I lose one, his strand is much thicker than mine because my hair is fine.

If you looked at our heads, my entire head is very well covered with all of my fine hairs. His is not so covered with his thick strands because his hair (though not fine), is THINNING.

So thin relates more to the amount of follicles you have on your scalp actively sprouting hair and fine more accurately describes the circumference of the strand itself. Hope that makes sense.

In my opinion. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Morenita

Fine is each individual strand, Thin means the amount of hair you have on your scalp.

:yep:

Fine refers to the thickness of individual strands, i.e. are your strands about the width of a carpet fiber, or more like a piece of thread? Whereas thin/thick refers to the density of hairs on your scalp. You will hear the phrase "I have fine hair that is dense" often on the boards.

Last edited:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
:yep:

Fine refers to the thickness of individual strands, i.e. are your strands about the width of a carpet fiber, or more like a piece of thread? Whereas thin/thick refers to the density of hairs on your scalp. You will hear the phrase "I have fine hair that is dense" often on the boards.
I agree....fine hair is the size of the individual strand. Some of my strands can barely be seen and others are the size of a piece of thread maybe....very small.....but fine hair can also be thick or dense.

On hair boards we know the difference from fine and thin but I find that IRL people use those two terms as meaning the same thing. Many times I've heard people refer to someone with thin hair as having fine hair simple because they don't know the difference. I've refered to someone's hair IRL as fine before (meaning fine strands) and they looked insulted, lol.

beans4reezy

Good question OP. I thought fine and thin hair were the same....I'm not sure how to classify my hair anymore...

charmtreese

Hair texture is described in terms of: Fine, Medium, and Coarse – referring to the diameter of the strands
Hair Density is described in terms of: Thin, Medium, and Thick – referring to the amount of hair per square inch on the scalp.

I have fine textured hair that has a medium density with 4b coil/wave pattern.

Morenita

Hair texture is described in terms of: Fine, Medium, and Coarse – referring to the diameter of the strands
Hair Density is described in terms of: Thin, Medium, and Thick – referring to the amount of hair per square inch on the scalp.

I have fine textured hair that has a medium density with 4b coil/wave pattern.

Good explanation.

@the bolded, me too.

gn1g

When I go to the salon they always describe my hair as fine, I just call it thin.

There was a product that was known for thicken up the strands, but I forgot what it was.