What is protien overload and how do I know I have it.

joib

I am in tears. I think I am suffering from from protien overload (po). I have been using protien products and lately I have noticed my hair is dry and brittle. It is also breaking and or shedding a lot. Please help ladies, I know you all have the answers. I am currently braiding my hair with extension and plan on doing a dc 2x per week. What is a good deep condish?

Re: What is protein overload and how do I know I have it.

I am in tears. I think I am suffering from from protein overload (po). I have been using protein products and lately I have noticed my hair is dry and brittle. It is also breaking and or shedding a lot. Please help ladies, I know you all have the answers. I am currently braiding my hair with extension and plan on doing a dc 2x per week. What is a good deep condish?

What have you been putting on your hair?

I know that for my hair the general rule is: "when in doubt use moisture!" I use a light protein (Keraphix or something like that) once a week on my hair. I follow that up with a moisturizing DC. The other two times a week i wash my hair I use only moisturizing conditioners to DC.

Keracare Humecto is a great moisturizing conditioner. I don't think there's any protein in it. It's mainly moisture, and that's what you need right now.

Let wait and see what the pros have to say on this.

another thread is going on from that same product

same advice, dont use any protein conditioners at all right now, only use moisturizing conditioners and lots of natural oils, wear your hair up, saturated in the moisturizing conditioner and oil mixture and keep it that way until it feels better

no clarifying, or harsh poo's during this time either

Keracare Humecto is a great moisturizing conditioner. I don't think there's any protein in it. It's mainly moisture, and that's what you need right now.

Let wait and see what the pros have to say on this.

I was gonna recommend Keracare Humecto creme conditioner too, it's one of my staple products, it's really good.

Thanks Irresistible, I know I know you warned us about MT but I couldn't help it. Besides MT, which I stopped using a couple of months ago because of MAJOR shedding, I started using aphagee and motions products with protien. I use them at least once per week. I don't want to cut my hair off. Please help!!! I probably have not been moisturizing like I should. Thans denise11, I will check out the deep condish.

I am in tears. I think I am suffering from from protien overload (po). I have been using protien products and lately I have noticed my hair is dry and brittle. It is also breaking and or shedding a lot. Please help ladies, I know you all have the answers. I am currently braiding my hair with extension and plan on doing a dc 2x per week. What is a good deep condish?

The bolded are symptoms of protein overload. You have to pay close attention to the ingredient labels of all of your products. Like poster above said it's always best to err on the side of moisture. You need to avoid all protein until it's fixed. Be wary of moisturizing protein conditioners(protein high up in ingredient list, but seem to moisturize) like ORS packs, Paul Mitchell supercharged moisturizer because that can make it worse right now. I would add some honeyquat (or honey),olive and or avocado oil to my dc's for a boost and dc for at least 30 minutes with heat.

I am no help with braids/extensions care

Biolage conditioning balm (the protein free one) or Sally's GVP conditioning balm
humecto
alter ego energizing/rebalancing cream(cones, though)-a good leave in
nacidit olive oil or avocado
D'Fina 11 en 1 conditioner
Aubrey Organics white camellia or honeysuckle rose conditioner

HTH

Pantene R&N BD mask is a great moisture only DC, as is Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol w/ Mango. The Lustrasilk is only like $2 or so.

Thanks Evazhair, I am making a list of the products you mentioned. Your hair is so beautiful. I think I should remove my briads until this hair situation is fixed. Does anyone have an opinion on that? I have a little over an inch of new growth. I would really like to restore my hair back to health in braids.

Thanks Irresistible, I know I know you warned us about MT but I couldn't help it. Besides MT, which I stopped using a couple of months ago because of MAJOR shedding, I started using aphagee and motions products with protien. I use them at least once per week. I don't want to cut my hair off. Please help!!! I probably have not been moisturizing like I should. Thans denise11, I will check out the deep condish.

I'm sorry you are going through this. Extreme moisture and stopping protein treatments of any kind for a while is what you need. Regarding the major shedding. Are you sure it just wasn't your shedding season and not anything you were doing wrong? Quite a few ladies panic during a season of shedding and it's just normal and needed (it's a human thing). The shed will stop after a few weeks. :yep:

My shedding season is in October and it is something fierce I tell ya! :laugh: I used to think all my hair was coming out.

Thanks Evazhair, I am making a list of the products you mentioned. Your hair is so beautiful. I think I should remove my briads until this hair situation is fixed. Does anyone have an opinion on that? I have a little over an inch of new growth. I would really like to restore my hair back to health in braids.

Thanks for the compliment:grin:. One of the reasons why I never tried them was I would be scared I wasn't getting to all of my hair without messing them up, so personally, I would take them out so I could get to my hair. Hopefully some of the braid using members will chime in and tell you how to make it work:yep:

Also be careful with the pantene mask. It is nice, but does have strenghtening B vitamins which act like protein on my hair (like what I said about "proteins" that seem to just moisturize), but everyone's hair is different. I would not use the pantene mask on my hair until after the protein overload is fixed, but this is coming from a protein sensitive haired gal. Your best bet is to do strictly moisture until things are back to normal. I recently tried and really like the Sally GVP conditioner. It really surprised me.

Pantene R&N BD mask is a great moisture only DC, as is Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol w/ Mango. The Lustrasilk is only like $2 or so.

I think this has protein in it; I wouldn't use it.

Yes, I would wait to get the PO taken cared of first. Braids can be drying; and that's the last thing your hair needs; it's already dry. :sad:

Thanks for the compliment:grin:. One of the reasons why I never tried them was I would be scared I wasn't getting to all of my hair without messing them up, so personally, I would take them out so I could get to my hair. Hopefully some of the braid using members will chime in and tell you how to make it work:yep:

Also be careful with the pantene mask. It is nice, but does have strenghtening B vitamins which act like protein on my hair (like what I said about "proteins" that seem to just moisturize), but everyone's hair is different. I would not use the pantene mask on my hair until after the protein overload is fixed, but this is coming from a protein sensitive haired gal. Your best bet is to do strictly moisture until things are back to normal. I recently tried and really like the Sally GVP conditioner. It really surprised me.

Yes, I second that!

Joib, what made a difference in my hair earlier last year when I had a bit of PO was Alter Ego Energizing And Rebalancing Cream 8.8oz (some bss' sells it for $19.99; it's expensive, but so worth it. And when I have extreme PO, I would use my dc and then do the steam treatment).

Alter Ego thread:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=197727&highlight=alter+ego+energizing+cream

Thread with moisturizing condish:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=270729&highlight=alter+ego+energizing+cream

Back