What is Grace?

Galadriel

We are saved by faith through grace...but what is grace?

Grace (gratia, Charis), in general, is a supernatural gift of God to intellectual creatures...for their eternal salvation...

So this means that grace is something *not* earned. We do not earn or merit grace--it is something freely given by God for our salvation.

Are there different types of graces?

Yes!

ACTUAL GRACE

actual grace [is] a supernatural help of God for salutary acts granted in consideration of the merits of Christ.
Actual grace is transient. This means it's a momentary help from God given to us when we need it in order to help us perform a good act or resist temptation.

SANCTIFYING GRACE

Sanctifying (or Justifying grace) is directly infused into the soul by God, cleansing the soul, and causes the soul to live in interior and exterior holiness, friendship, and union with God. A person is said to be "in a state of grace" when living in this state. Sanctifying grace is not transient like actual grace, and remains in the soul.

While we do not earn or merit God's grace, we do cooperate with His grace. The more we cooperate with God's grace and say "Yes" to Him and "No" to sin, the closer to Him we grow.

Graces are granted in light of the merits of Jesus Christ, who died for our sins.

Galadriel

MrsHaseeb I thought about grace today because I was listening to a lecture (online) and it hit me just how powerful and life-changing God's grace is.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
"But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strenghthen, settle you. To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." - 1 Peter 5:10 (KJV)

Galadriel

"But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strenghthen, settle you. To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen." - 1 Peter 5:10 (KJV)

Love that verse!

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Amen... Got the same Word from two completely separate sources today .. thought I'd post it here.

Rom 5 18-21
Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous. The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

"We can't deny the pervasive presence of evil; but neither should we diminish the prevailing power of God! No matter what evil accomplishes, grace still defeats it."

I agree that God's Grace is not cheap nor is it a license to sin.