What does the bible say about...

shellzfoshizzle

what does the bible say about marriage and commitment? is everyone destined to marry someone or are some people meant to be single and alone all there life?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Matthew 19: 10-12...
10The disciples said to Him, "If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry."
11But He said to them, "(J)Not all men can accept this statement, but (K)only those to whom it has been given. 12"For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."

Although divorce was relatively easy in the Old Testament times, it is not what God originally intended. Couples should decide AGAINST divorce from the start and build their marriage on mutual commitment. There are also many good reason for not marrying, one being to have more time to work for God's Kingdom. Don't assume that God wants everyone to marry. For many it may be better if they don't. Be sure you prayfully seek God's will before you plunge into the lifelong commitment of marriage.
An 'enuch' is an emasculated male - a man with no testicles. Some have physical limitations that prevent their marrying while others choose not to marry because in their particular situation, they can serve God better as single people. Jesus was not teaching us to avoid marriage because it is inconvenient or takes away our freedom. That would be selfishness. A good reason to remain single is to use the time and freedom to serve God.

1 Corinthians 7:7...
7[a]Yet I wish that all men were (E)even as I myself am However, (F)each man has his own gift from God, one in this manner, and another in that.

Both marriage and singleness are gifts from God. One is not morally better than the other, and both are valuable to accomplishing God's purposes. It is important for us, therefore, to accept our present situation. When Paul said he wished more could get along without marrying, he was expressing his desire that more people would devote themselves COMPLETELY to the ministry without the added concerns of spouse and family, as he had done. He was not criticizing marriage--after all, it is God's created way of providing companionship and populating the earth.

1 Corinthians 7:32-34...
32But I want you to be free from concern. One who is (AG)unmarried is concerned about the things of the Lord, how he may please the Lord;
33but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how he may please his wife, 34and his interests are divided. The woman who is unmarried, and the virgin, is concerned about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and spirit; but one who is married is concerned about the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

Some single people feel tremendous pressure to be married. They think their lives can be complete only with a spouse. But Paul underlined one advantage of being single--the potential of a greater focus on Christ and his work. If you are unmarried, use your special opportunity to serve Christ wholeheartedly.

1 Corinthians 7:38...
38So then both he who gives his own virgin daughter in marriage does well, and he who does not give her in marriage will do better.

When Paul said the unmarried person does better, he was talking about the potential time available for service to God. The single person does not have the responsibility of caring for a spouse and raising a family. Singleness, however, does not insure service to God--that is up to the commitment of the individual.

Hope that helps, shellzfoshizzle! :)

Last edited:

Honeyhips

Lovely
yes some people are meant to be single. God's purpose for marriage was to advance the Kingdom and show what a covenant looks like.

BLESSED1

Great insight, but now I'm depressed :( I think I may be in the "destined to be single" category, yet I don't think God has it in my plans to do His work alone....

Honeyhips

Lovely
Have you asked God this? Those who aer not meant to be married don't have a desire for it. It wouldn't be something to be depressed about it.They would rejoice in it.
BLESSED1 said:
Great insight, but now I'm depressed :( I think I may be in the "destined to be single" category, yet I don't think God has it in my plans to do His work alone....

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Honeyhips said:
Have you asked God this? Those who aer not meant to be married don't have a desire for it. It wouldn't be something to be depressed about it.They would rejoice in it.

Uh Oh - I think that's me. No real desire to be married at all. I think I'll wind up getting bored or just plain ole' tired of looking at the individual. Plus, I LOVE being alone when I want to be alone. hummm :rolleyes:

BLESSED1

I do have a desire to be married, and yes I have prayed for God to send me a real Christian husband. What's the deal, those who truly aren't meant for marriage don't yearn to get married? I'm confused, I still don't know for sure what category I fit in. And yes, I'm still depressed but I'm sure it'll pass :p

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Yes those who truly has the GIFT of singleness has no desire to be married. They are very happy to be single as stated in 1 Cor. that Pooh Bear posted - they are happy to do the work of the Lord and doesn't think about a mate or marriage.

Blessed, you probably don't have that gift if you have prayed for your mate, not all you have to do is continue to be patient and wait on the Lord to send you your mate. He may not be ready for you yet and God is getting him prepared for you so that he will be the man that you are to have.

BLESSED1 said:
I do have a desire to be married, and yes I have prayed for God to send me a real Christian husband. What's the deal, those who truly aren't meant for marriage don't yearn to get married? I'm confused, I still don't know for sure what category I fit in. And yes, I'm still depressed but I'm sure it'll pass :p

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
BLESSED1 said:
Ephesians 5:21-33 also talks about how marriage is based on the principled practice of love, not on feelings. Make sure your desire to get married isn't solely based on feelings. And I'm sorry that you are depressed over this situation. Depression is Satan's tool to make you feel worthless or question God's Word and his goodness. While you wait for that real Christian man to come along in your life, use that opportunity & freedom to serve the Lord!!! ;)

BLESSED1

Okay I see now, thanks for clearing that up for me! I haven't seen you posting in awhile LadyR I missed ya! And Poohbear yes I want to use this time, of me not dealing with the "distraction" of being in a relationship (note I'm not saying everyone in a relationship is distracted, it just tends to happen when I'm in one ;) ) to study the Bible more. Hopefully this will help me be more ready/confident to serve God.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
BLESSED1 said:
Okay I see now, thanks for clearing that up for me! I haven't seen you posting in awhile LadyR I missed ya! And Poohbear yes I want to use this time, of me not dealing with the "distraction" of being in a relationship (note I'm not saying everyone in a relationship is distracted, it just tends to happen when I'm in one ;) ) to study the Bible more. Hopefully this will help me be more ready/confident to serve God.

Thanks Blessed,

I'm here - I don't always post but I'm here a little too much reading :D . Alot of times someone else has said what I was thinking so there is not a need for me to post