Does the Bible say anything against Lesbians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cichelle

pebbles said:
I think the discussion is losing it's "thread." The original question was about lesbianism in the bible. And with that said, the question is being asked of Christians, not Jews. Let us not get into an argument or disagreement over what is or isn't written in the Jewish Torah and how it is interpreted. This isn't the place for such an argument. Per the Christianity forum rules, we're not here for controversy. We are here for the advancement of the knowledge of Christ Jesus. Thank-you!

Yes, and I answered the question. I did not argue about what the Christian Gospels say or don't say. How is that wrong? I also didn't say anything about the Christian Messiah.

I'm really perplexed as to how me saying something isn't in the Torah is such a problem.

StrawberryQueen

RelaxerRehab said:
Just curious about the use of children being used sexually.... what specifically are you referring to? I'm just thinking about the point of being mislead with regard to cultural inferences. We know in those days women married much younger than modern times....
And it also depends on what was considered a "child" soo, in theory it's all relative. Nevertheless, I will check.

StrawberryQueen

Cichelle said:
Yes, and I answered the question. I did not argue about what the Christian Gospels say or don't say. How is that wrong? I also didn't say anything about the Christian Messiah.

I'm really perplexed as to how me saying something isn't in the Torah is such a problem.
B/c this is the Christianity forum and you can only talk about Christianity. I guess we deviated too much from the forum rules in discussing the Torah.

pebbles

Cichelle said:

I think you misunderstood me. I said that the original question was asked about lesbianism in the Bible. You answered that it is not in the Torah. That's where the problem is. There are two different answers being given.

Homosexuality is sex between two people of the same sex, man or woman. According to what you're saying, Jews don't see it that way. Lesbianism is acceptable to some and not to others.

In the Christian faith, lesbianism falls under the blanket of homosexuality, and is therefore forbidden, from the Old Testament into the New Testament. There's no getting around it, and there are no gray areas.

From that point on, the discussion is turning into what one views as an accurate translation of what the OT says between Christians and Jews, but that's a whole other discussion. I hope I'm a bit more clear.

PaperClip

StrawberryQueen said:
B/c this is the Christianity forum and you can only talk about Christianity. I guess we deviated too much from the forum rules in discussing the Torah.

I hope that it's ok for the Torah to be discussed here.... I mean, the Torah and the Bible are related, right? :look:

At my CHRISTIAN (Pentacostal/Charismatic) church, we have learned about the Torah. We've had a rabbi (Messianic) come to our church and teach about the Torah, and how God had told the Jews to share His teachings and instructions of the Torah with others. This teaching was so enriching to me and inspired me to do some additional study of the Torah on my own. We've even engaged in services and activities around Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kipper, although in FULL RECOGNITION that JESUS IS LORD! :)

I'm just hoping that there's no hostility here that would prevent the mention of God's teachings and instructions in the Torah here, and yet I fully support that this is a Christian forum that keeps the Lord Jesus Christ as the center of all.

Peace!

StrawberryQueen

RelaxerRehab said:
I hope that it's ok for the Torah to be discussed here.... I mean, the Torah and the Bible are related, right? :look:

At my CHRISTIAN (Pentacostal/Charismatic) church, we have learned about the Torah. We've had a rabbi (Messianic) come to our church and teach about the Torah, and how God had told the Jews to share His teachings and instructions of the Torah with others. This teaching was so enriching to me and inspired me to do some additional study of the Torah on my own. We've even engaged in services and activities around Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kipper, although in FULL RECOGNITION that JESUS IS LORD! :)

I'm just hoping that there's no hostility here that would prevent the mention of God's teachings and instructions in the Torah here, and yet I fully support that this is a Christian forum that keeps the Lord Jesus Christ as the center of all.

Peace!
I love your thinking RR but it's obviously not on that level on the Christianity board.

pebbles

RelaxerRehab said:

Yes, we can discuss the OT. What we cannot do is have debates between people of different faiths that may turn hostile and unfriendly.

PaperClip

pebbles said:
Yes, we can discuss the OT. What we cannot do is have debates between people of different faiths that may turn hostile and unfriendly.

I hear you loud and clear...and I'm cool with it! ;)

Lotus

StrawberryQueen said:
I love your thinking RR but it's obviously not on that level on the Christianity board.

I agree.

Just a side note: The written Torah, IMO is inclusive of 1st 5 books of the "Christian Bible", but exclusive of the "New Testaments". Therefore, if a member wants to discuss the literal written word of the Old Testament I dont see why his or her point of view should be excluded.

ETA: Just saw Pebbles response. K, I'm on the same page.. just a little confused by earlier posts... I guess.

Last edited:

pebbles

Lotus said:
I agree.

Just a side note: The written Torah, IMO is inclusive of 1st 5 books of the "Christian Bible", but exclusive of the "New Testaments". Therefore, if a member wants to discuss the literal written word of the Old Testament I dont see why his or her point of view should be excluded.

ETA: Just saw Pebbles response. K, I'm on the same page.. just a little confused by earlier posts... I guess.

Thanks! :)

Ms Lala

I don't think Cichelle's points were meant personally either. I think she raised a point and we as Christians need to be able to state scripture and verse when posed with a question. We should be able to discuss things without there being conflict. Despite whether we agree or disagree we should speak to each other in LOVE. I wouldn't want anyone not to post because they felt unwelcomed or attacked for their differing perspective. I think it is important to get different perspectives because when you confront the completely nonspiritual person facing these issues we need to be prepared with specifics. I think everyone raised good points and Cichelle was just stating fact. However the tone of this thread has taken a turn for the worse that doesn't reflect the love of our Father.

Southernbella.

Ms Lala said:
I don't think Cichelle's points were meant personally either. I think she raised a point and we as Christians need to be able to state scripture and verse when posed with a question. We should be able to discuss things without there being conflict. Despite whether we agree or disagree we should speak to each other in LOVE. I wouldn't want anyone not to post because they felt unwelcomed or attacked for their differing perspective. I think it is important to get different perspectives because when you confront the completely nonspiritual person facing these issues we need to be prepared with specifics. I think everyone raised good points and Cichelle was just stating fact. However the tone of this thread has taken a turn for the worse that doesn't reflect the love of our Father.

Excellent post!

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Ms Lala said:

You're right Ms. Lala, and I've been giving scriptures and links to references throughout all of my posts.

There's quite a bit of information for all of us to learn from each other; whatever I discover I will continue to share. To insult or demean another, no...to share, yes. ;)

pebbles

Ms Lala said:

I don't like how this thread is going and will soon close it. We're not here to argue. The original question was asked of Christians and what the bible says about lesbianism. Somehow, it turned into a discussion of what Jews believe vs what Christians believe and what the Torah says. That's not the point of this discussion, and I would prefer not to see it continue. There's too much room for it to get very hostile, and I can't allow that to happen.

Belle Du Jour

Ms Lala said:
I don't think Cichelle's points were meant personally either. I think she raised a point and we as Christians need to be able to state scripture and verse when posed with a question.

I think Shimmie posted the scripture and verse from the Bible, which, as Pebble pointed out, was the initial line of questioning.

PaperClip

Before the thread closes, can I get an answer about the children being used sexually or maybe there could be another thread started on that topic so it won't get lost, please?

StrawberryQueen

RelaxerRehab said:
Before the thread closes, can I get an answer about the children being used sexually or maybe there could be another thread started on that topic so it won't get lost, please?
I'm still working on it. I'll try to get back to you soon. I'm the only one who said anything about that, so I don't think anyone else has information on this on hand.

pebbles

RelaxerRehab said:

I'll leave the thread open just to get an answer to your question. As I stated before, I have no memory of children being used sexually in the bible, so I'll let Strawberryqueen remind us of that passage. I really can't think of it. I'm drawing a total blank, myself.

PaperClip

StrawberryQueen said:
I'm still working on it. I'll try to get back to you soon. I'm the only one who said anything about that, so I don't think anyone else has information on this on hand.

Ok.... thank you.

kbragg

StrawberryQueen said:
And it also depends on what was considered a "child" soo, in theory it's all relative. Nevertheless, I will check.

So it's all relative when it comes to sexually abusing children but NOT relative when it comes to discussing homosexuality?:confused:

Gimmie a break guys, it's common sense. God is not a respector of persons. He's not going to forbid homosexuality in men but make it ok for women. Like it was said, "it's a relative.":)

kbragg

Cichelle said:
Are you claiming that anyone who believes differently than you is being used or fooled by Satan?

I believe that anyone who does not believe the Word of God (i.e. the "Christian Bible) is true and that Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh that came to earth died for our sins, rose on the 3rd day, and shortly thereafter asended to heaven (in full body as the scripture states) and is seated on the right hand of the Father is decieved by the deciever who God has given over to their own lusts and to a great dillusion, who are blinded by the spirit of antichrist.:)

Hope that clarifies.:)

I belive the Bible!:cool:

(PS: satan and all his identities are spelled in all lower case intentionally as the little puke doesn't even deserve proper grammar to be wasted on his name!:mad: )

StrawberryQueen

kbragg said:
So it's all relative when it comes to sexually abusing children but NOT relative when it comes to discussing homosexuality?:confused:

Gimmie a break guys, it's common sense. God is not a respector of persons. He's not going to forbid homosexuality in men but make it ok for women. Like it was said, "it's a relative.":)

I didn't think that my post was that hard to understand, my apologize for not making myself clear. I was speaking on the issue of there being instances of child abuse within the Bible-that that it's relative because what we see as a child in 2006 may very well have been an adult back then. The the issue of there being child sexual abuse in the Bible is relative to the opinion of the reader. I wasn't refering to homosexuality, come on now, isn't it common sense? And if you read my other post I clearly said that it was stated numerous times that homosexuality was a sin in the Bible and that people can interpret "man" as "male," but in reality it should be percieved more as "mankind," when wondering on the differences between "homosexuality" and "lesbianism." I don't even think you're arguing against anyone. EVERYONE here agrees that homosexuality is a sin, Breezy wondered if lesbianism was covered as well. I never said it wasn't so I don't know what you're trying to prove here.

breezy

WAit, please don't close this thread. I did not intend for it to get ugly.

I have a lot of problems w/ my religion and other things, which is why many times I am afraid to post here, but I'm really learning a lot from everyone.

I want to here all points of view on this b/c it is something that I have been wondering about for a long time.

For the ladies who have given me info and attempted to answer the question, thank you so much!

pebbles

Strawberry, I've looked through my bible trying to find a story of child sexual abuse or molestation but didn't find it. I also went through several of my Concordances and there's nothing there about child sexual abuse.

I do know that the bible taught against offering children up as sacrifices to gods, but I didn't find anything in all of that about the sexual abuse of children. If you find it, please feel free to start another thread.

Thank-you to everyone, this thread is now closed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.