What do you use to slick your Hair Down?

p31woman

sarel said:
Gels tend to flake up on my hair and make it look dull. If I'm wearing a ponytail or bun, I just use a cream moisturizer, some oil, and gently brush it back w/ a boar bristle brush. After that I tie it down w/ a scarf and I'm good to go.

Hope that helps!

co-signing!!!

Candy1978

Well I think that I'm going to try that Fantasia IC Gel stuff...I just don't want a hard look, just put together, since I am a makeup artist, and sell my own line of cosmetics in salons, I want to look as put together as possible..because the stylist are always talking about how greasy my hair looks with all that JAM in it...of course they are dying to get their hands in my head, which that will NEVER happen, but I realize that I do need to use something else in it......

ShaniKeys

hairlove said:
Healthy Hair Butter or Tancho Stick.
Could you tell me some more about the Tancho Stick? Gabrielle Union was raving about it in one of her interviews saying saying every black woman should have one.

darkempress

I USUALLY USE JAMAICAN CASTOR OIL, WHICH WORKS LIKE A CHARM;) , ALONG WITH A TAD BIT OF S-CURL, WHICH HELPS TO SMOOTH IT OUT A LITTLE BIT MORE.

dicapr

Paul Mitchell's Wax Works works great. I can lay down 6 months of 4a/b new growth! It doesn't flake and it works well to seal in your moisturiser. Only draw back ( for some) is that it will enhance your curl pattern so it kind of waves your hair back. My hair normally stays slicked back for 2-3 days if I tie it up before I go to bed.

Tee

dicapr said:
Paul Mitchell's Wax Works works great. I can lay down 6 months of 4a/b new growth! It doesn't flake and it works well to seal in your moisturiser. Only draw back ( for some) is that it will enhance your curl pattern so it kind of waves your hair back. My hair normally stays slicked back for 2-3 days if I tie it up before I go to bed.

I was watching that PM Wax Works for a minute. I just fought the inner PJ in me and passed on it. Thanks for the review.

toniy

I love this and IC, I wear a pony every day to work . I normally cw, seal, then lay down the gel. I never thought of mixing them with conditioner first, but I will try it to see what it does for me.

fmnnity

I had been wondering the same thing and after reading so many compliments on fantasia ic, I went (no make that ran) out to get some. Sadly, it didn't work well for me. :nono:

comike

I use AVEDA PHOMOLLIENT STYLING FOAM - a mousse without alcohol which can be drying. It's the best! It actually keeps my hair soft and touchable, plus it doesn't make my hair hard and sticky like most gels used to slick your hair down. I've also tried Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade....it's okay.

Last edited:
castor oil and IC gel (pink-hard to hold) when I want a soft hold that lasts for days......aloe vera gel and IC when I want my waves to pop, boar bristle brush, and my handy-dandy scarf.

melodee

dicapr said:

I like Wax Works or if you want a lighter hold, Slick Works.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
naturallylovely said:
castor oil and IC gel (pink-hard to hold) when I want a soft hold that lasts for days......aloe vera gel and IC when I want my waves to pop, boar bristle brush, and my handy-dandy scarf.

My hair did the SAME thing when I used aloe vera gel and Fantasia IC Thick & Shine the waves just popped out. I didn't think my hair had it in her :lol: My hair was also soft to the touch as well...I've found my new protective style!!! I just love those waves!! :up: I'm gonna take pics of mine in the morning so you can see. :p

deltagyrl

Perm.

No, seriously. Haven't found anything that can tame these edges when it's time for a touch-up. Might try the aloe vera gel......:ohwell:

EMJazzy said:
My hair did the SAME thing when I used aloe vera gel and Fantasia IC Thick & Shine the waves just popped out. I didn't think my hair had it in her :lol: My hair was also soft to the touch as well...I've found my new protective style!!! I just love those waves!! :up: I'm gonna take pics of mine in the morning so you can see. :p

yeah, lol....the definition is great!!! i actually discovered it by accident....I was trying to just use the aloe vera gel that day, but as i was smoothing my ponytail i noticed it wasn't gonna give me any hold at all...so I slapped some of my trusty IC gel on there......and that's how I discovered that great combination!! :lol: My siggy pic is the gel by itself, I believe...I didn't take any pics of the combo, but i would love to see yours :D

naturaline

for ages i used castor oil/water. but i dont read slick em'down any more. i did by some Black and sassy soother and elasta qp glaze to try out bunning. i know i can do a bun in my hair now but i need to see how long i can make it last. ill write a review when i test em' out.

HTH...
xXx