What do you use to prevent split ends in the winter?

mrslee

Love yourself first!
I am still having a hard time getting rid of my split ends. I think I am going to have to chop off at least two inches and see what happens. I have been doing dustings every other day!
What is a good moisturizer in combating split ends. I think my hair is past dead! :(

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
DEEP CONDITION with a rich moisturizing conditioner every wash. Moisturizer can only do so much. You'll have to hydrate your ends inside out to keep them from splitting. Do you wrap up your hair at night?

SouthernGirl

Hey Mrslee,

I'm sorry you're still having the splits :(. I don't have any real advice, but I wanted to send over some support.
SG

Paris Belle

I find that putting Vaseline on my ends really helps to seal in the ends and is especially needed during the winter months. Also, protective styles. Aside from wearing buns, if you're wearing a hat like me and you don't want to look a mess when you take off the hat, I would suggest braids (with your ends tucked under): one or two, or frenchbraids. As JujuBoo has already suggested, moisturizing conditioners are important. But I also start using a little bit more protein during these months as well to strengthen my hair and protect it against the cold air. HTH.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
Thank you all!! I guess I do need to do a little of what everyone has said. I need to increase my water intake and wear more protective styles. I already do a deep conditioner. I guess I need to give my M/T a chance to work on the ends.

KAddy

Hey Mrslee!

I am one of those non-protective style wearers (I am going to change up one day to wearing them about once a week). Since I know that i am wearing my hair out I make sure to pay special attention to my ends. I use castor oil on my ends day and night. I have not seen a split end in a while, which I think is due to this. Castor oil is very thick so a little goes a long way. Maybe try some type of heavy oil on your ends.

webby

Think Slim
I get more split ends during the summer, but I recommend anything that adds moisture to the hair: Humectress, Lacio-Lacio, Moisture Maniac and I recently added KeraKare Humecto to my list (CaramelHonee has been raving over this stuff for ions).

I find that if the hair has been left w/o a decent trim, then the splitting goes further up the shaft. As many know, I'm a huge advocate of dustings, but dustings are only preventative, where as trims are more of the cure. Maybe you could try getting a really good trim, have your styilst do small sections at a time, rather than trying to trim all of your hair at once. Then try maintaining that with dustings.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
mrslee said:
I am still having a hard time getting rid of my split ends. I think I am going to have to chop off at least two inches and see what happens. I have been doing dustings every other day!
What is a good moisturizer in combating split ends. I think my hair is past dead! :(
Mrslee, Check this website out to prevent split ends period: http://splitends.bebto.com/preventse.htm

KinksnCurlz

I LOVE HUMECTO :love: LOL IMO, it's the best moisturizing conditioner out there!
Back to the topic LOL...
4 my ends, i use profectiv healthy ends (it's a fairly thick creme) and tigi ego boost. I use them both together, and apply 2 my ends and then i bun it. (The tigi leaves the hair a little stiff.) If I'm wearing my hair out - which is a rarity for me - I apply only the profectiv at nite, wrap my hair and when i take it down in the morning, i let it lay (like cousin it) and spray my ends with sheen (underside also) - if i do this step at nite, i don't redo it in the morning. I may try putting a little castor oil on my ends (thanks Kaddy). i haven't had a split ends in months and my last cut (dang fake stylist whore beeyotch) was in june.

Last edited:

LadyChe

I am having this problem right now - split ends seem like they're everywhere on my head. I didn't want to do the BIG TRIM, but it looks as though I don't have any other choice.
(Weeping silently over the thought of lost length...)
But I'll be strong. Protein treatment and a good cut tomorrow.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
LadyChe said:
I am having this problem right now - split ends seem like they're everywhere on my head. I didn't want to do the BIG TRIM, but it looks as though I don't have any other choice.
(Weeping silently over the thought of lost length...)
But I'll be strong. Protein treatment and a good cut tomorrow.
Why don't you try dusting? It's where you take sections of your hair, gently twist them, and cut the hairs that stick out (those are the splits). HTH!

KinksnCurlz

KAddy said:
:lachen: Tell us how you really feel CH :lachen:

i still hate this lady with a PASSION! i plan on going into her shop after my relaxer just so she can see how long it's gotten since she butchered it! :censored:

Carlie

What do you use to prevent split ends in the winter?

The same thing I use in the summer, SCurl! :cool:

pookeylou

I put a silk scarf between my hair and anything wool.
When I was permed, I made sure my "ends" were up or covered.
Keeping my hair trimmed keeps the splits from progressing further up the hair shaft too.

mrslee

Love yourself first!
Thanks again ladies!!

Thanks Poohbear for the link!
I am going to go ahead and cut my hair about 2 inches and go from there. Like webby said, if I do this and start dusting more frequent hopefully this will cure it. I have been getting "ghetto" trims for so long, that I think I have some damage hair I can just go ahead and chop off.

Poohbear--- when you say to twist the hair, and chop the ends that stick out, do you mean coming from the bottom or from the whole twisted strand? My hair has about 1000 different lengths and when I twist, I have hairs sticking out from the twist! LOL!

Desert Skye

I deep condtion alot and I use moisturiser. I usually use oil to moisturize my hair but since its so dry i use grease now.

belleza

For the winter I'm wearing wigs. I can let my hair marinate all day, and the wig is kinda like a hat, so I stay warmer. I was wearing my hair in a bun protective style, but I'm not running a hat over my hair, or I'll have major breakage. I dusted my ends this week and I put WGO on my ends every day. I hope this helps.

Isis

Regular use of direct heat causes split ends, especially blowdryers. When I eliminated all heat over a year ago, I noticed I wasn't getting anymore split ends. I still don't have them.

Keeping the ends moisturized and away from heat works.