Ugh! Split Ends!

wyldcurlz

What are the best methods to PREVENT them? It seems no matter how careful I think I am...they show up. What's the best way to prevent split ends? Is it moisturization? What am I doing wrong?

LadyZ

wyldcurlz said:
What are the best methods to PREVENT them? It seems no matter how careful I think I am...they show up. What's the best way to prevent split ends? Is it moisturization? What am I doing wrong?

Moisturize, protect them.
trim them, they only split more if not trimmed, they will travel all the up the shaft, once split, they can not be saved...

miracle

The best method I've used for preventing split ends is to moisturize my ends with a cream moisturizer, and then follow with a "sealent" (usually EVOO, Jojoba or Vitamin E Oil), or serum (St. Ives Hair Repair Serum or John Frieda Relax Serum).
I agree with LadyZ, if they are split, trim them. Trying to hold on to split or frayed ends can do more harm to the hair. HTH!!! :)

hairmaster

Ladyz is right cut them then look at all of you hair products and tools carfuly and see if any of them are the cause,

Cinnabuns

Moisturizing is the key for me to keeping my ends split-free. :)

*why did I just rhyme right there :look:*

Divine Inspiration

I agree with trimming them. I'm so anal about that. I keep a pair of shears in a cup on my vanity and another pair in my car. I'm constantly examining my ends and when I see a split, I'll break my neck tryin to get rid of it.
Anyhoo, I think keepin tab of them is the best way to keep them from getting out of control and then needing a mega trim to correct damage.

wyldcurlz

that's my concern - I'm diligent about trimming. I was getting trims every 8-12 weeks. and i put NTM leave-in or KeraCare leave-in on my ends nightly. So i'm wondering what else is going wrong. I was getting salon blow-outs & flat-ironed every week (but no heat other than that!) I've recently stopped that...unless I've got an important event or nice dinner with BF.

....so that's why i'm so frustrated. i feel like, excluding the heat, i'm doing everything right! i'll try the sealant or serum at the end. i'll try anything at this point! and...maybe my hair can't handle heat - which will really stink because my hair is big, strong and resistant. meaning - it won't lay down for anything short of fire! :look:

thanks for the help so far!

Divine Inspiration

wyldcurlz said:
that's my concern - I'm diligent about trimming. I was getting trims every 8-12 weeks. and i put NTM leave-in or KeraCare leave-in on my ends nightly. So i'm wondering what else is going wrong. I was getting salon blow-outs & flat-ironed every week (but no heat other than that!) I've recently stopped that...unless I've got an important event or nice dinner with BF.

....so that's why i'm so frustrated. i feel like, excluding the heat, i'm doing everything right! i'll try the sealant or serum at the end. i'll try anything at this point! and...maybe my hair can't handle heat - which will really stink because my hair is big, strong and resistant. meaning - it won't lay down for anything short of fire! :look:

thanks for the help so far!

I had a similiar issue at the beginning of the year, and this year I have *dramatically* cut my heat usage to almost none. I can count the number of times a flat iron has been in my head (5). My split ends almost disappeared this year, and now I insist on snipping the ones I see occasionally.
I would do an experiment with no heat to see how your ends respond...hth :grin:

Naijaqueen

Divine Inspiration said:
I had a similiar issue at the beginning of the year, and this year I have *dramatically* cut my heat usage to almost none. I can count the number of times a flat iron has been in my head (5). My split ends almost disappeared this year, and now I insist on snipping the ones I see occasionally.
I would do an experiment with no heat to see how your ends respond...hth :grin:

I totally agree, I've not used my flat iron since I started my LHCF quest, and its made a huge difference. I'd save the heat for special occassions, and even then I'd do a blowout instead of flatiron anyday.

Maybe you should consider joining our 3 month baggie challenge, my ends have never felt this soft and silky, and if I feel like wearing it down, I can just put it down and it looks nice, or I can use my steam rollers for curly look. m

Diane71

Definitely trim your ends every 6-8 weeks. I just got my ends clipped before my touchup a few days ago and my hair is much more fuller and more managable due to that. My blowout came out fierce after my hair was trimmed and I love how much longer and full it looks. I'm considering going back to braids though in a few days, I don't like to wear my hair loose and people think I'm crazy.

Hair type: 4b thick and course
http://public.fotki.com/Diane71

pm for password